Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:23 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Ok this scares me because companies are going to start dumping the corporate sponsored healthcare plans. Now, will PHYSICIANS and HOSPITALS have the OPTION of treating patients on the public option???
Please quote exactly what part of that link scares you.
I did not get frightened reading that link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 01:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
health care is not a passionate issue to me though. I honestly don't care if they keep it or change it. I'm 24 though.
Its unfortunate that you are not "passionate" about the issue. It is the single largest change in this nations culture in a lifetime. You NEED to be informed. You NEED to express your opinion. You NEED to share your postion with your Members of Congress.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:24 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If it doesn't work, why does France have a higher rated healthcare system than ours?

Obviously something isn't working in our system.
Europeans have always settled for less.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
I read your DemConWatch link and found nothing there but a blog that is in favor of single payer insurance as soon as possible. I have to be against that kind of thing because I have some idea of the size and complexity of the bureaucratic group it would take to carry it off.

Yesterday I listened to Daniel Hannan, the British MP who is against socialized medicine and that is where we will be with single payer. Great Britian with a population of about 1/6 that of the US has had socialized medicine for nearly 60 years. They have a system of 1.4 million people of which less than half are doctors and nurses. That means that they have a bureaucracy of more than 700,000 people at all levels. Put those numbers to our population and geographical size and you have a bureacracy of about 4 million people. That is one huge lobbying group and they will never disappear once they are started.

I would love to see something that we can afford to provide for all our people but when I think about those (about 16 million) who make over $50,000 per year but don't have insurance it makes me mad as hell thinking that they are included in the count of 46 million without. Also, there are at least 10 million illegals without insurance because they don't want to be identified and can get catastrophic care without. How about the more than 10 million children that are covered by SCHIP. We are left with about 10 million who don't have insurance and can't afford it and I don't think many of them will get help if we pass that bill.

Barney Frank, one of the biggest supporters of single payer in Congress, says that they just don't have the votes to get it now but this is a step toward getting it.

Hannan says that once you get it you will never shuck it. My friend (conservative, small business man) from Australia says the same thing. I hate to make the change when it is so obvious that with public option many small business people will drop their insurance programs and pay the fines projected since it will be cheaper for them. According to this bill in the House when that happens one has no choice but to take public option.

No this thing has to be tweaked and tweaked before it will be acceptable to most of the thinking people of this nation and getting it done before the end of the year is nothing but pleasing the people who voted for that kind of thing. We need to back off and take a lot more time than we have. Somehow, John Conyers and others who refuse to read this thing must have enough time to get it done.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:44 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Please quote exactly what part of that link scares you.
I did not get frightened reading that link.
Do you have a corporate sponsored healthcare plan???

Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
No this thing has to be tweaked and tweaked before it will be acceptable to most of the thinking people of this nation and getting it done before the end of the year is nothing but pleasing the people who voted for that kind of thing. We need to back off and take a lot more time than we have. Somehow, John Conyers and others who refuse to read this thing must have enough time to get it done.
Or you can take the proven Republican approach of counting the words as opposed to reading the bill. Pence did that, and other Republicans admired the approach. Pence counted the word "shall", so maybe you can count the words "and".

Teamwork Roy, teamwork.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Do you have a corporate sponsored healthcare plan???
I do.
What scares you?
Can you show me exactly?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I know what I'm talking about, but I always make it clear that I do NOT know the details of any of the health care bill currently being reviewed. A good solution may or may not be there.

What I know is that President Obama ran on a platform that included health care reform. I know he wants to make good on this ASAP. I know there is a serious problem with the affability of health care insurance in this country and that we can do much better. I know that "socialized medicine", ie: National or Universal health care or public option is not going to destroy America. And I know that there will never be a program where "death panels" exist, abortion is forced, or anyone is told that we aren't going to pay for anything because they are too old so they should just kill themselves for the common good.

I don't know what the heck is wrong with people or what could possibly have happened to them to make them believe that Obama/liberals/Democrats want to do all the things they are accused of.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Europeans have always settled for less.
Oh thats BS, I'm sorry.

The "Europe isn't as good" argument is just that BS.

According to the American Journal of Public Health, “In France, the commitment to universal coverage is accepted by the principal political parties and justified on grounds of solidarity – the notion that there should be mutual aid and cooperation between the sick and the well, the active and the inactive, and that health insurance should be financed on the basis of ability to pay, not actuarial risk.”

In the United States, our system is the exact opposite. If you get sick in America, there are people who will search your medical records in search of a reason to deny you coverage – sometimes retroactively. In America, insurers rely on the premiums of their healthy customers to subsidize their profits and advertising costs, as well as the administrative burdens behind their intense denials of care – indeed, we all pay more, so that the profit sector is able to withhold, delay, or deny payment in order to satisfy shareholder demands. The system is designed to deny care to those who need it the most, which is an inherent failure that the free market cannot, or will not address on its own.

The French system lends valuable insight into our own, since it better integrates private insurance with a universal health care system.

No, I don't want to move to France, but when they have a better system, we should at least take a look at it. Its a mixed system, usually the best option for all complex systems.

The "America is number 1" argument is childish, and you should really take an objective look. Frances citizens don't have to settle for poor care, they have care thats better than ours.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh thats BS, I'm sorry.

The "Europe isn't as good" argument is just that BS.

According to the American Journal of Public Health, “In France, the commitment to universal coverage is accepted by the principal political parties and justified on grounds of solidarity – the notion that there should be mutual aid and cooperation between the sick and the well, the active and the inactive, and that health insurance should be financed on the basis of ability to pay, not actuarial risk.”

In the United States, our system is the exact opposite. If you get sick in America, there are people who will search your medical records in search of a reason to deny you coverage – sometimes retroactively. In America, insurers rely on the premiums of their healthy customers to subsidize their profits and advertising costs, as well as the administrative burdens behind their intense denials of care – indeed, we all pay more, so that the profit sector is able to withhold, delay, or deny payment in order to satisfy shareholder demands. The system is designed to deny care to those who need it the most, which is an inherent failure that the free market cannot, or will not address on its own.

The French system lends valuable insight into our own, since it better integrates private insurance with a universal health care system.

No, I don't want to move to France, but when they have a better system, we should at least take a look at it. Its a mixed system, usually the best option for all complex systems.

The "America is number 1" argument is childish, and you should really take an objective look. Frances citizens don't have to settle for poor care, they have care thats better than ours.
I did not say they were not as good. I said they have always settled for less. Do you understand the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies