Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
To me a racist is one who believes that others are "lesser" because they are different.
And to add to this good definition ..... "and a racist can be of any race"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
I was at LAX waiting for a delayed flight. Everyone is grumbling - the usual banter. Three guys near me are discussing upcoming jury duty. Black guy 1 is telling black guy 2 and white guy 1 about why he loves to serve on jury duty. They all look professional in appearance, and appear to work together. Black guy 1 states "the best thing about it is I get to judge a white guy for once". He then states "I don't care what the evidence is - if he's white he's guilty - that's just the way I roll." Remember, these guys are professional in appearance. This draws a good chuckle from the three of them. White guy 1 and black guy 2 then look at each other in a way that indicates they are not on board with black guy 1. Black guy 1 is clearly racist.

I was in New Orleans area a few years back about six months after the hurricane. We were walking into a restaurant (not too many open remember) and there was a black guy asking for money near the door. I was going to hand him a few bucks when a guy behind me told "you give him that money and you ain't welcome in this restaurant. We don't give money to n*****s around here - it just keeps them coming back". We were shocked. Open mouth shocked that people still talked like that. That guy was definately a racist. We gave him money, and then watched our back the entire time we ate worried that this guy might cause trouble.

Negative or preferential treatment of another group of people based on skin color or nationality - that is racism. It cuts both ways, and there is no place for it in my life.

On a different note, I reserve the right to heckle you Democrats for your thinking. Not sure what that says about me, but I guess "that's just the way I roll."

Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,643 times
A racist is when someone makes generalizations of any kind about another person or group of people based on their race.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Racism includes ANY special treatment of a person for reasons of race. It's often confused with, (and often overlaps) the related issue of 'cultural clash', or the lack of the ability of people of differing cultures to 'read' each others' intentions.

Macmeal, i have to play devils advocate on this statement. I think your overall assessment was very well written and well thought out. However, the statement above begs me to ask you the question on how you would react to this question based on what you wrote above.

"Racism includes ANY special treatment of a person for reasons of race."

What i disagree on is this would you consider the following racist

1. Corp Subsidies - (special treatment of a person for reasons of occupation and or race?) - A person could play devils advocate and say that most farmers that benefit from a corp subsidy are of European decent therefore, this is a racist policy, because it benefits European farmers at the expense of other individuals right?

2. Tariffs on anything grown aboard - (special treatment of a person for reasons of occupation and or country or origin) - A person could play devils advocate and say that most Americans that benefit from Tariffs or Quotas
on foreign goods are nationalist and racist towards individuals in other countries, because through this special treatment policy they are denying those individuals a job based on country of origin or ethnic background???

3. Medicare/Social Security - (special treatment of a person for reason of age and or economic ability - A person could play devils advocate and say that most Americans that benefit from special set aids (like Affirmative Action) at the expense of other individuals are racist???

4. Milk Subsidies for Wisconsin farmers - (special treatment of person based on occupation/ethnicity/location - A person could play devils advocate and say that most Americans that benefit from special set aids for Milk Subsidies in Wisconsin are racist, because most if not all farmers in Wisconsin are Dutch decedents etc

I understand your focus was strictly related to "Affirmative Action" but isn't everything i listed above pretty much the exact same as "Affirmative Action" for women and minorities??? Isn't Affirmative Action just like a corp subsidy, milk subsidy for farmers in Wisconsin, tariffs subsidies for American workers, etc

I would rephrase the paragraph i quoted to say the following let me know if you agree.

Racism includes ANY special treatment of a person for reasons of race, occupation, age, location, national background. It's often confused with, (and often overlaps) the related issue of 'cultural clash', or the lack of the ability of people of differing cultures to 'read' each others' intentions.

Doesn't that seem more accurate and balanced???

Let me know your thoughts on the four above i'm really curious to see how you respond

Old 08-14-2009, 12:36 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
The honest truth is that every single person has some sort of racism in them. Some are more damaging than others with it. Some just don't show it at all, but there are times when the thoughts enter their minds. So to answer your question, there is no real answer.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM

30 posts, read 58,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I have black relatives and friends who have used racist slurs against white people.
Honestly, what could a Black person say to insult a White person?

I mean, look at how they would be living if it was NOT for White people.

And who cares if someone is racist? Why should we treat people all the same? Do we treat Pitbulls the same as Golden Retrievers?

What if one group of people were more violent than another and responsible for more crime? What if one group was more intelligent then another? Why would we not treat them differently? We should we treat people the same when we are not the same.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 PM

30 posts, read 58,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I was in New Orleans area a few years back about six months after the hurricane. We were walking into a restaurant (not too many open remember) and there was a black guy asking for money near the door. I was going to hand him a few bucks when a guy behind me told "you give him that money and you ain't welcome in this restaurant. We don't give money to n*****s around here - it just keeps them coming back". We were shocked. Open mouth shocked that people still talked like that. That guy was definately a racist. We gave him money, and then watched our back the entire time we ate worried that this guy might cause trouble.
Most likely the owner of the restaurant had most likely had trouble with Black people in the past.

Those White people who are so open with diversity are the ones most likely to flee with it. They have their tokens but they would never go live in a Black country or anyplace with a Black majority. Those White liberals are the most ignorant of all. Probably more so than the restaurant owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies