Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times

Advertisements

There are proposals in Dallas TX to name two schools after President Obama and Justice Sotomayor.

I understand their place in history already, being the first black President and first hispanic Supreme Court Justice.

But they both have no track record yet. Shouldn't we wait until they have proven themselves in their current jobs before we start naming public buildings after them?

Dallas trustees, others balk at naming schools for Obama, Sotomayor | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-schools_14met.ART.State.Edition1.4be6395.html - broken link)

Your comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
The general rule is that you don't name anything after a living person, and wait five years after death. Not always applied (e.g., Ronald Reagan Airport)

But people who name schools can call them whatever they want. If the namesake gets indicted later on, you can always change it again.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
"Is it too early to name schools after Barrack Obama?"

I would think so.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
There are proposals in Dallas TX to name two schools after President Obama and Justice Sotomayor.

I understand their place in history already, being the first black President and first hispanic Supreme Court Justice.

But they both have no track record yet. Shouldn't we wait until they have proven themselves in their current jobs before we start naming public buildings after them?

Dallas trustees, others balk at naming schools for Obama, Sotomayor | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-schools_14met.ART.State.Edition1.4be6395.html - broken link)

Your comments?
I agree. When all is said and done, obama will be regarded as a very bad president. Once again, I apologize for voting for him.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Who's "Barrack" Obama? It's a shame that people STILL can't spell the president's name correctly. It's Barack Obama.

No, it's not too early to start naming schools after him. Everywhere you turn in Texas, something is named after George Bush. Why not Barack Obama?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
I believe it’s too early to name anything after him. If a president is going to have anything named after him it should be done with the understanding of how they made history and changed the country. For now it’s too early and there are no proven positive track records of accomplishments in history. I’m for a wait and see before naming.

Great men and leaders become great and change history because of those who follow them, help them along the way to make the accomplishments that are worthy of naming landmarks after them. As for now,, it appears that many people are not following him but are working against his efforts to make positive change happen.

I understand that San Francisco named a new sewage treatment plant for the city after George W. Bush last year. Good bad or indifferent, it may have been too early for him to receive any recognition.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I like the dead people rule of thumb if schools are going to be named after people but personally, I prefer schools being named after the street they are on or the neighborhood that they are in. You know, if I read a story about the John Doe High School in NY, I have no idea where it is but if I read a story about the Pineville Elementary School in Blooterville or the 53rd Street Junior High School in Happyville, I have more information.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You guys are all behind the times, Prince Georges County, MD Public Schools named an elementary school after the curent President already, back in May.

http://www.boarddocs.com/mabe/pgcps/...Resolution.pdf

Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,071 times
Well, I would find it odd to have a building with my name on it. Very strange. I think that waiting till death is a good idea too. Too much could happen in the meantime, like life, lol. I mean the man is going to make a mistake eventually probably, they all do, probably bigger than the cop/professor one but he tried to fix that. Although one day I think it would be a good idea (even though nobody's waiting).

Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Who's "Barrack" Obama? It's a shame that people STILL can't spell the president's name correctly. It's Barack Obama.

No, it's not too early to start naming schools after him. Everywhere you turn in Texas, something is named after George Bush. Why not Barack Obama?
Maybe if it was a name most of us were familiar with....we could all spell it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I no longer care what they name in honor of Obama or Sotomayor or when they choose to do it. The overkill of it all was too annoying, so I decided to no longer think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies