Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:07 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,729 times

Advertisements

The last attempt at health care reform 15 years ago they defeated, and they show zero interest in addressing it this time around. They claim they want some sort of health care reform, but history shows us they DO NOT want change of any kind. Six of those years under Bush they could have essentially done anything they wanted in regards to health care, but chose instead to do nothing for America. So ask yourself, what have the Republicans done to address the health care issue of the last 15 yrs? The answer is simple: Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
FEEL they were to busy chasing down TARA WRISTS! The GOP plan for healthcare is "don't get sick"! Hell if Cheney can survive 4 heart attacks why can't you? Man up buttercup!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:24 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
The last attempt at health care reform 15 years ago they defeated, and they show zero interest in addressing it this time around. They claim they want some sort of health care reform, but history shows us they DO NOT want change of any kind. Six of those years under Bush they could have essentially done anything they wanted in regards to health care, but chose instead to do nothing for America. So ask yourself, what have the Republicans done to address the health care issue of the last 15 yrs? The answer is simple: Nothing.

The Love, that is completely untrue, they just proposed a different way of treating the healhcare issue than the dems.

They proposed two solutions HSA's and FSA's. You may not have agreed with this method of reforming the Healthcare system, but these were the two proposals that were thrown on to the table by the Bush Administration.

You spend money into a health account that rolls over each year to pay for co-pays etc (I'm being simplistic, but that was the point of the program). They would give you a card that was like a health debit card and you etc.

I think McCain was propsing to give Americans a 5,000 dollar tax break to use each year for Health care. You give it to your insurer pick out a plan that works for you etc

The problem is it did not address those without health care. Those without health care are the real problem, because we all end up paying for them, should they get sick.

The other issue is preventative care. These two programs did not address the underlying issues in health care. You cost significantly less money, if you go to a doctor every year for test, blood work, and other things. You are obviously going to be advise earlier on to change your unhealthy habits, thus you cost other Americans significantly less in the future.

I'm a strong opponent of Nationalized Health Care, but again I'm smart enough to realize, that most people do need it. Most people need preventative care and whether or not you like to admit it we are paying for uninsured people now, whether we like it or not, so what difference does it make if they get insurance from the gov?

The healthier my fellow citizen is the less I'm going to have to pay for them in the future when they are older, because they'll be living a healthier life. Any argument against the health of my fellow citizen is an argument against my own self interest. We are all tied into this country together, so next time you see someone smoking or eating a hamburger smack them in the face and say you're going to cost me a crap load of money in the future if you do not eat healthier. Then ask them do they have insurance, if they're fat, smoking, and eating a hamburger and they do not have insurance, smack them in the face again!!!!

Obviously I'm not serious in terms of a physical smack, but people need to wake up to reality.

Last edited by dorock99; 08-15-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 02:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Health Savings Accounts were their only effort, I believe. They somehow believed that it would force people to become more cost-conscious about health care costs, and shop for better deals, which would then in turn, force the market to react in a positive way for consumers.

That didn't work, but it obviously wasn't a priority for them anyway.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Health Savings Accounts were their only effort, I believe. They somehow believed that it would force people to become more cost-conscious about health care costs, and shop for better deals, which would then in turn, force the market to react in a positive way for consumers.

That didn't work, but it obviously wasn't a priority for them anyway.

AnUnidentifiedMale,

Healthcare reform is much more complicated than most of us are trying to make and the reality is most of us do not have the in depth knowledge to really argue all of the pertinent issues. Most of us are only interested in arguing the issues, that we think pertain to us. We need to have this debated in the public and people need to stop trying to undermine this debate. This is a very serious debate and needs to be respected for such!

We are one of the few countries were people are stupid enough to argue against their self interest and support people that do not give two f%%ks whether they live or die.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:59 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quoted from dorock99:We are one of the few countries were people are stupid enough to argue against their self interest and support people that do not give two f%%ks whether they live or die.
Lordy yes...people learned that lesson the hard way under Bush 43. Now a president is trying to rectify that, and yet people continue to support a system based solely on the self-interest of the monied few. Appalling, isn't it?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
What has the GOP done to address the health care problem over the last 15 years?

Jack shyt as usual.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
The Love, that is completely untrue, they just proposed a different way of treating the healhcare issue than the dems.
great post

Old 08-15-2009, 03:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Quoted from dorock99:We are one of the few countries were people are stupid enough to argue against their self interest and support people that do not give two f%%ks whether they live or die.
Lordy yes...people learned that lesson the hard way under Bush 43. Now a president is trying to rectify that, and yet people continue to support a system based solely on the self-interest of the monied few. Appalling, isn't it?
Appalling but not surprising.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

Evenstar, i appreciate you agreeing with me, but to continue to pin all the evils of the world on GW Jr is still missing the point. This has been a problem long before he took office. Granted he obviously did not have a vested interest in fixing it, but it is certainly not his fault. Remember the president has to go through congress to get anything done, so if anything they bare just as much of the burden as he does. Health care is just to complicated an issue for one person to have complete responsibility over. Dems have no vested interest in fixing tort reform, which helps increase the cost, so again everyone has a piece of the issue, so we need to let people debate the complexity of the issues and fix all of the associated problems, thus far no group has been willing to step forward and do this. I applaud Obama's effort (i personally just hate the idea of government expanding and i wish the private sector could fix the problem or have more input in fixing the problem, but i do not have the depth and knowledge on the overall issue to even know if that is an accurate statement)

People stop blaming the executive office for every last problem. WE have three separate branches of power

1. Executive Branch
2. Legislative Branch
3. Judicial Branch

Each branch is fighting for power and has the ability to overrule the other in some form or fashion. The president can never become a dictator in this country ever! He would have to write in amendments to the law, which would have to be passed by the Legislative Branch, the judicial branch, and then receive 100% of the agreement of all the states involved. The constitution will just not allow it. However, the three branches of government can work together against the people if the people continually allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies