Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So who's great idea was it to simply drop $200 in these peoples welfare accounts with no means of controlling what the money was used for? Who's responsible for this?
Not Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Last time i checked stimulus was exactly that, whether it went to school books, cigarettes, or alcohol, these are each functioning industries in our country, so as long as the money is spent,that is all i care about hence the term "stimulus package"..
That's the type of attitude our politicians have which half the reason we're in this situation to begin. Who cares what it's being spent on? I certainly do, that money could be better spent on projects that provide value. Build a bridge, build a few schools, improve the infrastructure... there's any number of things that it could be used for instead of being simply spent on junk.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
“We actually received a telephone call from WalMart on Hudson Avenue suggesting that there was welfare fraud, and indicating they were going to call the FBI because people were going in and buying X-boxes, Wii systems, flat-screen television sets,” said Kelly reed, the county’s commissioner of social services. “Wegmans has indicated people are buying tickets to Darien Lake.”

The $200 per child grants showed up in welfare accounts this week. Many recipients had no idea the money was coming, and flooded area stores and ATMs.

The money is a combination of $140 million in federal stimulus funds and a $35 million donation from philanthropist George Soros. About $6.5 million went to more than 32,400 children in Rochester. Critics have said the program invited waste and abuse, because there are no strings attached to the grant money.

“When you hand out $200 per child cash to a family with no strings attached, no requirements for spending, are we surprised that people are buying flat screen TV's i-Pods, X-boxes?” Brooks said.

And do you still want to trust Obama with your health care..."NOT"..."NOT"...."NOT"..."NOT"
This is a rallying cry, the rich need to have their taxes raised even more. Sometimes it takes events like these to point out the utter poverty and despair of the poor - these poor people didn't have big screen TVs!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Not Obama.
Who's was it and who allotted the funds for this program. If you know it wasn't Obama, who was it? Please fill us in.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Who's was it and who allotted the funds for this program. If you know it wasn't Obama, who was it? Please fill us in.
Is the car dealer responsible for your accident? The mayor's office was responsible for not sending the letters out in time, but whatever individual or committee-head in New York State or in the municipality deemed it appropriate to send out cash is probably going to be fired.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Is the car dealer responsible for your accident? The mayor's office was responsible for not sending the letters out in time, but whatever individual or committee-head in New York State or in the municipality deemed it appropriate to send out cash is probably going to be fired.
Ooops! There goes $140 million in federal stimulus funds. My bad. I guess we'll just have to fire someone. Is this the type of poor planning and lack of oversight we can expect to see with the remaining BILLIONS in federal stimulus funds? Does this not concern you at all?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Ooops! There goes $140 million in federal stimulus funds. My bad. I guess we'll just have to fire someone. Is this the type of poor planning and lack of oversight we can expect to see with the remaining BILLIONS in federal stimulus funds? Does this not concern you at all?
The thread title and the original post tried to blame Obama for this. But obviously, Obama is not to blame for this. As long as that's straight, carry on without me.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
T&C, I thought you were against the nanny government.
Or is it only when you want to slam someone that you're for it?

Hypocrisy much?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
The thread title and the original post tried to blame Obama for this. But obviously, Obama is not to blame for this. As long as that's straight, carry on without me.
Weaksauce

Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Here's how it works:

Congress passes vague bills. Some, like me, say it's to appease the lawyer and accounting lobby who will make money off those vague laws but that's just conjecture.

Congressmen don't read the finished product or ask for deliverables from the agencies expected to implement the legislation when they pass these things.

The President doesn't question. He signs those vague bills into law, on the White House lawn, with the media and their cameras present if he thinks it will work for his approval ratings.

Government agencies get the crappily written laws to implement without direction of what to monitor and measure. It also has to be done tomorrow in order for the Congressmen/President to bask in the glow of the media and public.

About a year or two later some huffy/puffy Congressman running for re-election will have a hearing where they will call the government agency on the carpet and express outrage that the agency 1) can't give them numbers they want but never asked for when the bill went through and 2) didn't read their feeble minds to know their implementation expectations. This will be done for show and will almost always have an anticipated public reaction component to make the Congressman look like he's doing his job.

Giving away "candy" to buy votes with no strings attached and no effectiveness/efficiency measurement (to see if the original objective was achieved) in place is not uncommon. The government is filled with anectdotal information that will be trotted out to turn people for or against something so it benefits some politician from the Capitol to the White House. You are just more attuned to this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies