Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,146,110 times

Advertisements

As a conservative, I find myself on the fence regarding the "public option." On one hand, I want all American's to have access to affordable health insurance, and I am also slightly offended by the obscene profits that insurance companies often make. I am especially offended by these profits while they turn away those with pre-existing conditions. Insuring the healthy appears to be the driving goal because its a cash cow for Big Insurance.

On the other hand, I don't believe government is being straight with us over who will pay for the "public option." As a result, I am not convinced that taxes won't be raised on the middle class. Further, history has shown that government cannot be trusted to draft, enact, and manage entitlement programs efficiently.

Therefore, I am on the fence on this issue. Where do other conservatives stand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,006,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As a conservative, I find myself on the fence regarding the "public option." On one hand, I want all American's to have access to affordable health insurance, and I am also slightly offended by the obscene profits that insurance companies often make. I am especially offended by these profits while turning away those with pre-existing conditions. Insuring the healthy appears to be the driving goal.

On the other hand, I don't believe government is being straight with us over who will pay for the "public option." As a result, I am not convinced that taxes won't be raised on the middle class. Further, history has shown that government cannot be trusted to draft, enact, and manage entitlement programs efficiently.

I suggest you re-read history if that is your true view.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM

179 posts, read 516,971 times
I agree that I would like all American's to have access to affordable health care or insurance but I do not agree with the government running the system at all. I don't think they run any program very well and once something is in place it is impossible to dismantle it.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,146,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I suggest you re-read history if that is your true view.
You should elaborate.

In regards to history, in 1965 government actuaries claimed that Medicare would cost $9 billion by 1990. However, in 1990, Medicare actually cost American taxpayers $165 Billion. A colossal error in calculations. (This does not even take into consideration Social Security).

If you are referring to the "history" of entitlement programs, you should elaborate on why you think its possible for government to do it efficiently, when history proves the opposite.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,407,908 times
I feel the same way way Aeroguy,I am one that has been personally turned away from insurance companies because I had a melonoma.

Conservatives tout capitalism/freemarket creates competition and therefore better prices and options for consumers which usually that is true but that doesn't happen often regarding insurance.And this is where GOP loyalists need to come to grips with reality.

For some,the only option is a government pool for insurance.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As a conservative, I find myself on the fence regarding the "public option." On one hand, I want all American's to have access to affordable health insurance, and I am also slightly offended by the obscene profits that insurance companies often make. I am especially offended by these profits while they turn away those with pre-existing conditions. Insuring the healthy appears to be the driving goal because its a cash cow for Big Insurance.

I'm not here to defend insurance companies. But I think a reality check about their profits is in order. First of all insurance companies offer many lines of insurance besides health insurance. So when you see a profit statement from an insurance company like, say, the Hartford, you should understand that all that profit was not generated solely from health insurance. I suspect (although I don't know and perhaps someone more knowledgable about the health insurance industry can enlighten us) that the health insurance line is the least profitable for most insurers. The second point I'd like to make is your characterization of insurance company profits as "obscene." What measure are you using? I seem to remember that insurers' return on investment is about 6.5%. Microsoft's, by contrast, is about 30%. By that standard their profits do not appear to be obscene. Just sayin...

Old 08-19-2009, 02:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,481,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingville View Post
I agree that I would like all American's to have access to affordable health care or insurance but I do not agree with the government running the system at all. I don't think they run any program very well and once something is in place it is impossible to dismantle it.
If you dont want the plan the government is offering, don't choose it. I really don't understand why that's so hard to understand.

The government appears to run the military very well, maybe healthcare will be the same.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
If you dont want the plan the government is offering, don't choose it. I really don't understand why that's so hard to understand.

The government appears to run the military very well, maybe healthcare will be the same.
the public plan is designed to put private plans out of business. its a trick.

the government runs the military well? imagine how much waste is in the military.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,204,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Because it will impact everyone else. When there is a government option, the government will have an unfair advantage and there will not be fair competition. There is nothing to stop companies from dumping their own benefits and throwing employees to the mercy of the public plan.

It sounds good in theory to say...."if you don't want it, don't choose it" but the reality is that many people will be forced into it by default.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,444,171 times
The issue I have with the Government option is two fold. One is I still have no clue who is paying for this option and there is no safe guards in place to prevent every employer from dumping their employees on the GO. I really could care less if the governement wants to offer a health plan but I want to know how it is getting paid for and what they will do to prevent companies from just not offering health insurance anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies