Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

How about people yakking on cell phones while driving or texting while walking down the street( or even driving). We need big predators to eat the unwary like those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Someone give the adults a Darwin award!
I guess it's a tragedy because the children were dragged out with these idiot adults and lost their lives because of the stupidity of their "parents."
Keep in mind that the children may carry the same self-destructive genes as their parents. Darwin's natural selection sometimes takes out more than just an individual.

It is, however, a tragedy in a social sense whenever any human is badly hurt or dies as a result of an accident.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hurricane wave sweeps Maine spectators out to sea - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tropical_weather - broken link)

This story deals with a bunch of people in Maine who, when hurricane Bill was pounding their coastline with dangerous surf, thought it would be fun to go down to the seashore and stand right next to where the waves were breaking. Predictably, five people were swept out to sea, of whom three died. In Florida, another guy was killed in the heavy surf when he decided to bodysurf in the hurricane's dangerous currents. You heard right. Bodysurf.

Now, let you think I'm heartless, I feel very sorry for the 7-year-old girl who was basically killed by her parents when they dragged her into harm's way. But why is it that when fools court death, then get killed as a result, the media invariably calls it a tragedy?

To me, a tornado killing people hiding in their basement is a tragedy. An airline crash that kills passengers is a tragedy. An earthquake is a tragedy. But why is it, when people essentially die after putting themselves into very dangerous situations, is it a tragedy?
I don't reserve my compassion for those with an IQ I find acceptable.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is what you call Darwin's Theory in action!
Exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies