Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Palin didnt defeat Obama in anything. There was nothing for her to defeat him in. She came out and made some bull**** statement about something that never existed.

Obama did, however, defeat Palin in the thing that matters most and that is the 2008 Presidential Election.

More people talk about her that Obama....She will rise up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiahmooDude View Post
You cannot see the forest for the trees...

Sorry folks, Sarah Palin is (partly) right | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20090819/OPINION05/90819047/1068/opinion/The-truth-about-death-panels - broken link)

Palin Defeats Obama - Part 2 | Newsflavor

Excerpts:

The intelligentsia have been quick to dismiss former Alaska governor Sarah Palin’s claimthat, under President Obama’s health plan, “my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s ‘death panel’ so his bureaucrats can decide…whether they are worthy of health care.”

No one ever accused Palin of being a health policy expert, and many found her hyperbolic term “death panel” off-putting. But that should not distract voters from this reality: President Obama has proposed a new body that would enhance Medicare’s ability to deny care to the elderly and disabled based on government bureaucrats’ arbitrary valuations of those patients’ lives.
It is right there in the legislation now before Congress, and it is called the Independent Medicare Advisory Council.

Enter the Obama administration, which submitted to Congress legislative language that would create IMAC and give it broad authority to recommend “reforms to the Medicare program.” In effect, IMAC would enable Medicare to overcome the political resistance to government rationing.

Yet that error hardly excuses the media’s mishandling of Palin’s “death panel” claim, particularly since Obama himself corroborates it. Obama’s first pick to head his health reform efforts—former Senate Majority Tom Daschle—proposed an IMAC-like panel despite the fact that “doctors and patients might resent” the panel making decisions about “matters of life and death.” Back in June, in response to a question about “subjective” end-of-life decisions, President Obama said, “I think we have to have rules.” And who would make those rules? His IMAC proposal tells us.

Lest you think this too Orwellian to become reality, consider that this type of government rationing already happens in the United Kingdom. Britain’s National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (or “NICE”) generally refuses to cover medical treatments that cost more than $35,000 per year of life saved.
Whatever one thinks of Sarah Palin should not distract from this truth: President Obama proposes to let government bureaucrats decide who gets medical care and who does not.

Sorry folks, Sarah Palin is (partly) right | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20090819/OPINION05/90819047/1068/opinion/The-truth-about-death-panels - broken link)

Making a leap from providing end-of-life counselling to enabling Medicare to deny seniors health care is pretty absurd, young one.

Where have you guys been all this time insurance companies have denied people health care so that their profits would increase? Seems rather silly to be outraged now.

I'm still waiting to see this mythological pro-life party I've heard so much about. Then again, making people compete for their very survival does seem very Christians-mauled-by-lions-esque.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM

472 posts, read 739,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Making a leap from providing end-of-life counselling to enabling Medicare to deny seniors health care is pretty absurd, young one.

Where have you guys been all this time insurance companies have denied people health care so that their profits would increase? Seems rather silly to be outraged now.

I'm still waiting to see this mythological pro-life party I've heard so much about. Then again, making people compete for their very survival does seem very Christians-mauled-by-lions-esque.
I suggest you read the link...

Thank you!

No one ever accused Palin of being a health policy expert, and many found her hyperbolic term “death panel” off-putting. But that should not distract voters from this reality: President Obama has proposed a new body that would enhance Medicare’s ability to deny care to the elderly and disabled based on government bureaucrats’ arbitrary valuations of those patients’ lives.
It is right there in the legislation now before Congress, and it is called the Independent Medicare Advisory Council.

Former CMS chief Mark McClellan notes that a mixed record of judicial interpretations and some specific congressional actions, for example on broad coverage of cancer treatments, have tied Medicare’s hands somewhat. But he agrees: “I do think that political pressures have limited the agency’s ability to go further.”

Enter the Obama administration, which submitted to Congress legislative language that would create IMAC and give it broad authority to recommend “reforms to the Medicare program.” In effect, IMAC would enable Medicare to overcome the political resistance to government rationing.

Whatever one thinks of Sarah Palin should not distract from this truth: President Obama proposes to let government bureaucrats decide who gets medical care and who does not.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM

Dude. I did read the link. Just because someone publishes and opinion piece doesn't make it fact.

I stand by the FACT that the conclusion drawn by the author of that article is an absurd deduction based on absolutely no evidence.

Sarah Palin remains a sinful liar.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Dude. I did read the link. Just because someone publishes and opinion piece doesn't make it fact.

I stand by the FACT that the conclusion drawn by the author of that article is an absurd deduction based on absolutely no evidence.

Sarah Palin remains a sinful liar.

I assume you are being humorous there?

The contradiction contained within that one sentence is astounding!

Good one!

Now read the link - including the secondary link within the article. Then follow that up with some research regarding what was included in the stimulus bill that connects the dots to the proposed health care bill.

Rather worrisome...

Old 08-25-2009, 02:51 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:

Good one!

Now read the link - including the secondary link within the article. Then follow that up with some research regarding what was included in the stimulus bill that connects the dots to the proposed health care bill.

Rather worrisome...
What's worrisome is you taking OPINIONS, Palin's proven beyond a doubt lies and blog pieces as fact. You go ahead and Twit while the people who really care about this country are reading the bills.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
What's worrisome is you taking OPINIONS, Palin's proven beyond a doubt lies and blog pieces as fact. You go ahead and Twit while the people who really care about this country are reading the bills.
Palin Defeats Obama | Newsflavor

Old 08-25-2009, 02:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Especially opinions posted on Freeper, for crying out loud.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Good one!

Rather worrisome...
Of course I was being humorous to illustrate the absurdity of your position.

I've read everything you have to offer, and it remains a radical opinion based on unsubstantiated extrapolation.

The fact still stands that Palin is a sinful liar.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
WTH is NewsFlavor? Black and white ice cream? A rapper? Back to school lollipop? Edible paper?

Just checked it out, an online blog, a place where anyone can submit a piece and call it 'news'.

NEXT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies