Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Keith Olbermann has a degree from Columbia University. Rachel Maddow was a Rhodes Scholar who remained at Oxford to earn her Ph.D. As Wapasha noted, Limbaugh has no degree. Hannity dropped out of both NYU and Adelphi, and has no degree. O'Reilly has a degree from Marist College and an M.A. in Broadcast Journalism from Boston College. I still find it stunning that people were listening to an unqualified drug addict and didn't
realize it. That being said, Limbaugh lost any credibility that he might have had when he mocked Michael J. Fox on his show and accused him of not taking his medications so that his symptoms appeared worse in an ad that supported stem-cell research. In point of fact, Fox was exhibiting symptoms consistent with someone under treatment for M.S. IMHO, people are better served by listening to or reading people who are both qualified and well-informed.
and sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well I'm confused now, why did you say you were a Republican in the thread title then?

You disagree with his interviewing style, or his opinions? Interviewers are on the clock, and they sometimes rein in guests who stray off topic, or want to get them focused. Sometimes the hosts talk to their guests before the day of shooting, or even just before air time, and they ask a certain question to lead into what the guest said earlier, but when they ask the question on air, the guest loses focus, or goes off in still another direction.

However, I know what you mean, I also get frustrated when a guest is about to say something i want to hear and the host cuts them off.
I vote Republican but I'm libertarian because their policies reflect the libertarian viewpoint more than the Democratic party. I disagree with his interviewing style. I also wish he would add something to his show that I didn't already know. For example, I don't agree with much of what Rush says but at least he presents a different take on an issue or will state some interesting fact or piece of information. I don't feel like Beck does that. Rather I feel like he just states the obvious (even if I agree with it) and then just gets dramatic and silly. I find that approach distracting. On CNN, he was more composed and watchable.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Keith Olbermann has a degree from Columbia University. Rachel Maddow was a Rhodes Scholar who remained at Oxford to earn her Ph.D. As Wapasha noted, Limbaugh has no degree. Hannity dropped out of both NYU and Adelphi, and has no degree. O'Reilly has a degree from Marist College and an M.A. in Broadcast Journalism from Boston College. I still find it stunning that people were listening to an unqualified drug addict and didn't
realize it. That being said, Limbaugh lost any credibility that he might have had when he mocked Michael J. Fox on his show and accused him of not taking his medications so that his symptoms appeared worse in an ad that supported stem-cell research. In point of fact, Fox was exhibiting symptoms consistent with someone under treatment for M.S. IMHO, people are better served by listening to or reading people who are both qualified and well-informed.
I don't have a problem with Rachel Maddow. I don't agree with many of her views but I respect her as a host and feel like her delivery is very professional. Olberman, despite his degree, has made non-factual statements just to get a reaction out of people. I know Olberman is an intelligent person but unlike Maddow, I think his goal is to be a comedian rather than a savy commentator. And I agree with your last line. My point is that I don't agree with Olberman or Beck's delivery. I think both are trying to be comedians and it's just distracting.

Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's disease not Multiple Sclerosis. Parkinson's disease and Multiple Sclerosis are not the same thing. MS does not have specific symptoms. Not every MS patient has muscle spasms and choreiform movements which is what you are alluding to. A patient with Parkinsons could very well stop taking their medication and their symptoms will manifest itself more clearly. That doesn't mean Michael J. Fox did that and a medicated Parkinson's patients can still express these symptoms.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-25-2009 at 05:51 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 05:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Beck is nothing more than a buffoonish charlatan that appeals to the lowest common denominator. I can't believe this idiot sat there on Fox & Friends and said he believes the President is a racist and he doesn't like white people! Well he was elected by white people! He was raised by his mother & grandparents who are white! Obama never hanged out in the hood or raised in the ghetto! Where would he get theat idea from? Beck is an a example of what happens to a dry drunk's brain.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm a libertarian. I'm from Arizona for crying outloud. I don't necessarily disagree with his opinions just his presentation and behavior. Even when he interviews people, I feel like he interrupts them when I want to hear what they have to say, and these are people who agree with Beck.

Rush is entertaining to listen to because he speaks well and presents himself somewhat professionally even if I disagree with what he says. Beck is too hyper and distracting
Welcome to the repubertarian party azriverfan.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with Rachel Maddow. I don't agree with many of her views but I respect her as a host and feel like her delivery is very professional. Olberman, despite his degree, has made non-factual statements just to get a reaction out of people. I feel like Olberman's delivery is also silly. Mind you, I think Olberman is funny but I don't take him seriously. I know he is an intelligent person but unlike Maddow, I think his goal is to be a comedian rather than a savy commentator.
That's why it's best to read, read, read some more. Books that cite the sources they've used, well-researched magazine articles, newspapers. The Internet makes it easy to find all kinds of sources from around the world. There is no way that "talking heads" and radio hosts can inform one sufficiently to allow one to claim any depth of knowledge on a subject. Sadly, people don't take the time to read and rely too heavily on the Internet and certain political sources that have agendas.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,729 times
Quote:
I enjoy Fox News. I respect Bill O'reilly and Sean Hannity although I don't agree with everything they say. However, Glenn Beck is just embarrassing. I don't know how anyone (Conservative or Liberal alike) can watch his show. I don't mind listening to controversial people as long as they make salient points and are well spoken however much I disagree with those points. But Glenn Beck is just a cheap Las Vegas showman who seems like he has ADD. Seriously, I feel like any person on the street can do what Glenn Beck does. I don't think he states anything unique or provides a different angle on an issue. I watched two of his shows and I can't do it again. It seems he is deliberately trying to act hyperactive to set himself apart from Hannity and O'reilly but I find it distracting.

On CNN, Beck was more tame and watchable. I knew nothing about Glenn Beck so I researched his biography and discovered he doesn't have a college degree yet he is speaking on topics as if he is an authority. I do respect his experience in broadcasting. He spent most of his life working in radio in various aspects such as a Top 40 DJ. However, as a political analyst, he is terrible. I don't disagree with his opinions but he just shouts and makes a buffoon of himself with his chalkboard instead of discussing these points intelligently and professionally. Bill O'reilly interviewed him last week and you could tell O'reilly had no respect for this guy because Beck was acting like a kid.

That being said, I do credit Beck for being a self-made man. He came from nothing. He endured a tough divorce. He doesnt' have a college degree. He made the most of his limited time on CNN to get a show on Fox News. And his ratings are high so I do respect his tenacity and effort but I haven't changed my mind that he is completely unprofessional regardless of his opinions.
Well the good news for you is that Beck isn't a Republican. He's an alarmist with big clown shoes, and way out of his league in regards to most of his subject matter.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
That's why it's best to read, read, read some more. Books that cite the sources they've used, well-researched magazine articles, newspapers. The Internet makes it easy to find all kinds of sources from around the world. There is no way that "talking heads" and radio hosts can inform one sufficiently to allow one to claim any depth of knowledge on a subject. Sadly, people don't take the time to read and rely too heavily on the Internet and certain political sources that have agendas.
I agree. I read the Economist which I feel is fairly objective. I'm also in the process of reading the bills itself. You can download them off CNN. I don't rely on these talking heads but I enjoy watching them. I just don't find it very entertaining when these talking heads try to be comedians. That's just my opinion. I know others prefer the comedic approach but I find it distracting.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with Rachel Maddow. I don't agree with many of her views but I respect her as a host and feel like her delivery is very professional. Olberman, despite his degree, has made non-factual statements just to get a reaction out of people. I know Olberman is an intelligent person but unlike Maddow, I think his goal is to be a comedian rather than a savy commentator. And I agree with your last line. My point is that I don't agree with Olberman or Beck's delivery. I think both are trying to be comedians and it's just distracting.

Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's disease not Multiple Sclerosis. Parkinson's disease and Multiple Sclerosis are not the same thing. MS does not have specific symptoms. Not every MS patient has muscle spasms and choreiform movements which is what you are alluding to. A patient with Parkinsons could very well stop taking their medication and their symptoms will manifest itself more clearly. That doesn't mean Michael J. Fox did that and a medicated Parkinson's patients can still express these symptoms.
I stand corrected, and as a former nurse understand the difference; it's the age and memory thing. My point was that Limbaugh's attack on a person with any disease is beyond the pale. Or should be, at any rate.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Beck is mostly a libertarian, so i would guess some of his positions would rub a republican the wrong way. FWIW, Limbaugh is not a college grad either.
Hannity was a college drop-out too...

Maybe we should stop listening to idiots without any kind of qualifications talk about politics and leave it up to those who actually know something about history and politics.

Even though Maddow is an annoying idiot, at least she has a Phd from Oxford. Bill O'Reilly has a degree too. Olbermann graduated from an Ivy League school. Glenn Beck, on the other hand, was an alcoholic and drug addict who became a Mormon (moron).

Tell me, who would you think is a better authority on ANYTHING, a PhD from Oxford or an Alcoholic Drug Addicted Mormon? That being said, anyone who voices their opinion for a living on TV is generally nothing other than an EGO.

Personally, I don't listen to commentators for their opinions because I have a brain of my own and can formulate my own opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies