Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times

Advertisements

Neighbours hire their own police force for £3 each a week | Mail Online

EDIT: Yes, the subject is incorrect in terms of the week vs. month. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:37 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Neighbours hire their own police force for £3 each a week | Mail Online

EDIT: Yes, the subject is incorrect in terms of the week vs. month. My bad.
Do you have some sort of deep-seeded grudge relating to the UK? Why do you care so much about a country on the other side of the world? Do you think they give rat's ass about you, or your opinions?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
Do you have some sort of deep-seeded grudge relating to the UK? Why do you care so much about a country on the other side of the world? Do you think they give rat's ass about you, or your opinions?
Did he offer an opinion?
I must have missed it.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Um...just to point out how much of a miserable failure the UK is and how much I relish watching it unfold, as it reminds us of just who we should NOT emulate.

I wouldn't wish living in England upon my worst enemy.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I will give an opinion.
I would not use this as an indictment against the UK since there is no spot in the US that I know of where the municiple police can provide such dedicated coverage.
Since I believe in paying for what you want, this idea of asking for more and agreeing to pay for it is a fine idea.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Um...just to point out how much of a miserable failure the UK is and how much I relish watching it unfold, as it reminds us of just who we should NOT emulate.

I wouldn't wish living in England upon my worst enemy.
Tell me how a country 4,000 miles away affects your daily life, living in a shack in the NC boonies?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Tell me how a country 4,000 miles away affects your daily life, living in a shack in the NC boonies?
You should see Research Triangle Park with IBM, Glaxo, RTI, Ericsson/Sony, et al hiring about 50,000 technology workers, as well as 3 top universities within 30 miles of each other and you'll understand just how odd of a statement that was.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You should see Research Triangle Park with IBM, Glaxo, RTI, Ericsson/Sony, et al hiring about 50,000 technology workers, as well as 3 top universities within 30 miles of each other and you'll understand just how odd of a statement that was.
.....but of course, that's not anywhere near your neck of the woods (note the word "woods", as I meant that literally).

Old 08-28-2009, 06:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
the subject line of this thread is very deceptive.

the cost of these security officers is £3.15 per week PER HOUSEHOLD, with a minimum of 500 people signing up to hire one.

these people are not making 3 pence an hour.

i have no idea what this thread is supposed to prove.

it's great how the uk was our trusted ally in the iraq war, their government went out on a limb to become our main supporter for a war that at the time was hugely favored by the right, but as soon as national healthcare (not based on the uk model at all) becomes part of the debate here, you people turn on them. what loyalty. what integrity.

so, have you lived in the uk? been to the uk? my brother has lived in both places and he says he can't see coming back, especially considering the excellent care his wife received for free through two major illnesses. i've spent extensive amounts of time there and while i prefer the u.s., the uk certainly has its appeal.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
oh and by the way, many communities in the u.s., especially gated communities, hire private security. whoop de doo. i don't know why it's news in the uk, unless it's a new practice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies