Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times

Advertisements

This is like a flashback to those loony pre-election threads....

Ayeeeeeeeeers!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What do you expect? CarolinaBredChicagoan is getting a property tax break just like Obama and his Chicago pals and all the rest of the Chicago home and property owners (renters too, they pay the cost of the tax as part of their rent - landlords aren't eating the tax expense).

The entire quote:
Obama: "I think whether or not my children or your children will have to struggle with these same issues depends on what we do, and whether we take some mutual responsibility for bridging the divisions that exist right now. And I really want to emphasize the word 'responsibility.' I think that whether you are a white executive living out in the suburbs, who doesn’t want to pay taxes to inner-city children for them to go to school, or you’re an inner-city child who doesn’t want to take responsibility for keeping your street safe and clean, both of those groups have to take some responsibility if we’re going to get beyond the kinds of divisions that we face right now."
Transcript:
http://www.eyeonbooks.com/obama_transcript.pdf

Audio:
Barack Obama - 1995 Audio Interview on "Dreams From My Father" (http://www.eyeonbooks.com/ibp_obama.php - broken link)

First of all, the 'white' is completely unnecessary in Obama's statement. It's race-baiting. The suburbs are very racially diverse and everyone knows that. Secondly, it's not the suburban residents that don't want to pay - it's the CHICAGO residents like Obama, Rahm, Rezko, etc. THEY'RE sticking the rest of the state with 30% of the Chicago Public School System's bill.
You seem pretty focused on the schools in Illinois and Chicago. I didn't see where he was specifically talking about the Chicago school system.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Please provide us with the complete quotes so that we can see what he really said.
Do I see some of the reason that all Congressional bills written by outsiders, as these two 1000 page ones have been, are so long because sentences don't say anything without 6 or 8 other sentences around them?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I also agree with the sentiment behind the qoute - but the 'white' was beyond unnecessary, it was baiting. Maybe he mispoke, but the man is a great orator so I doubt that. I wish that he was made to explain himself with that 'white executive' remark during the campaign.

I didn't vote for Obama (nor did I vote for Mccain) but I really had hopes that he meant what he said about unifying the country and responsibility and transparency and getting rid of the way DC has been operating. That he hasn't really upsets me. Not to sound cliche but I really did have hope for some real change.
There has been some real change and I think that you will see much more of the same in the near future. The fact that the change hasn't been what any of us hoped it would be is what I expected when I voted for Sarah.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I think this is quite interesting. If you read the quotes from this man's OWN WORDS, it really explains what his agenda is.

From Dreams of My Father:'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'

From Dreams of My Father :'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

From Dreams of My Father:'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

From Dreams of My Father:'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.'

From Dreams of My Father:'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa, that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself: the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

And FINALLY,
From Audacity of Hope:'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'
Let me ask you something: Why on earth would you use a play book that already FAILED the first time?

Keep it up, I'd love to have Obama as my POTUS for the next 7.5.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
At the end of the day... (and it IS the end of the day for me. It's late!) you're bringing up a situation in which you fundamentally disagree with Obama and using it to make him a racist. The fact is, if you HAPPEN to be white and HAPPEN to be a white executive, and HAPPEN to be pissed off that you're funding inner city schools at what you consider to be an unfair rate, you might just be the person Obama was talking to when he made those comments 14 years ago.
I'm not 'using' anything. Obama's use of the descriptor 'white' is completely unnecessary and racist. Obama is, in fact, singling out a particular RACE. He could have made the same comment without discriminating against any particular race, but he deliberately chose to single out 'white' suburban executives.

Quote:
But that was just his opinion. He was entitled to his and you to yours.
Exactly. Obama's opinion is racist. Why can't you admit that?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
You seem pretty focused on the schools in Illinois and Chicago. I didn't see where he was specifically talking about the Chicago school system.
So you believe that Obama was blaming white suburban executives nationwide for not wanting to pay for inner-city children to go to school? Even those who do not live in the same school district and have no responsibility whatsoever for paying for children in a completely different school district to go to school? Seriously?

Gosh, I guess it's just the 'white' suburban residents who don't want to pay for Washington, D.C.'s schools, for example. The Asian, Hispanic, etc., suburban residents are totally fine with paying for their schools PLUS Washington, D.C.'s schools, right?

Please provide a link that proves it's only the 'white' suburbanites nationwide that don't want to pay.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
Well, these quotes do seem a bit out there, but they're also taken out of the passages. I think you have to read the books if you are going to make an argument about them. I had a teacher tell me once that 'everyone should travel somewhere which they are the minority,' I agree with this, it is a very humbling experience, especially seeing first hand how much some people are doing without while you are on vacation.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Exactly. Obama's opinion is racist. Why can't you admit that?
I can't "admit" that because I don't believe it. I don't believe that the man is racist. I don't buy it. Nothing you have said has done a thing to PROVE anything, so I'm asked to take your word for it that the President of the United States hates white people.

What would that even look like? Say he hates white people. What's he going to do? Lock us all away? Have us drinking from separate water fountains?

You seemed to be bothered by the fact that you perceive Obama as having taken something from you without paying his fair share, so you're angry at the man. You want to discredit him, so you say he's racist.

I hate to tell you this, pal, but you are most DEFINITELY playing "the race card". That thing I'm POSITIVE you complain about when people of color do it? You're doing it.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I can't "admit" that because I don't believe it. I don't believe that the man is racist. I don't buy it. Nothing you have said has done a thing to PROVE anything, so I'm asked to take your word for it that the President of the United States hates white people.

What would that even look like? Say he hates white people. What's he going to do? Lock us all away? Have us drinking from separate water fountains?
How about blaming white suburban executives for something they DIDN'T do, but Obama himself and his Chicago cronies did? Yep, Obama did that.

Quote:
You seemed to be bothered by the fact that you perceive Obama as having taken something from you without paying his fair share, so you're angry at the man.
Obama and his pals took something away from those inner-city kids he pretends to care so much about.

Quote:
I hate to tell you this, pal, but you are most DEFINITELY playing "the race card". That thing I'm POSITIVE you complain about when people of color do it? You're doing it.
No Obama did it and I'm calling him on it. For some reason, you have a real problem admitting Obama has made racist statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies