Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times

Advertisements

I was having an online debate with someone on my local paper's website when I hit upon a good working definition of the difference between liberals and conservatives.

Group A: Poor people who've figured out how to get $35/month cable service with their welfare payments.

Group B: Wall Street executives who've figured out how to suck $billions out of the economy using credit default swaps, and who then beg the Bush Administration for help and get more $billions in taxpayer bailouts.

Conservatives get more upset at Group A people. Liberals get more upset at Group B people.

Needless to say, I think one of those positions is reasonable and moral, while the other is insane.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Anybody who blames the latest economic fiasco on poor people is insane in my book.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I was having an online debate with someone on my local paper's website when I hit upon a good working definition of the difference between liberals and conservatives.

Group A: Poor people who've figured out how to get $35/month cable service with their welfare payments.

Group B: Wall Street executives who've figured out how to suck $billions out of the economy using credit default swaps, and who then beg the Bush Administration for help and get more $billions in taxpayer bailouts.

Conservatives get more upset at Group A people. Liberals get more upset at Group B people.

Needless to say, I think one of those positions is reasonable and moral, while the other is insane.
Thank you for the thoughtful, complex analysis!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful, complex analysis!
I said it was a working definition.

But thank you for the witty, insightful comment.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
I said it was a working definition.

But thank you for the witty, insightful comment.
Anytime. I certainly respect a clever intellect at work!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Anybody who blames the latest economic fiasco on poor people is insane in my book.
+1,000,000!

I'll take it step further, blaming anything on the poor is repugnant. The amount of money given to poor people is a drop in the bucket compared to what Wall St. and the hedge fund beasts have stolen from all of us. The same goes for the wars.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I do not think anyone is "blaming" "poor" people. The people that are partly responsible were those who purchased homes they could not afford. If you want to dismiss them that is your problem and stupidity for not holding all of the guilty parties accountable.

At some point you bleeding hearts have to start holding all parties accountable.

I also disagree that conservatives do not blame the Wall St fat cats. All of America is sick of the handouts to the wealthy and irresponsible.

So basically this thread is based on a bunch of hogwash from the op.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I do not think anyone is "blaming" "poor" people. The people that are partly responsible were those who purchased homes they could not afford. If you want to dismiss them that is your problem and stupidity for not holding all of the guilty parties accountable.

At some point you bleeding hearts have to start holding all parties accountable.

I also disagree that conservatives do not blame the Wall St fat cats. All of America is sick of the handouts to the wealthy and irresponsible.

So basically this thread is based on a bunch of hogwash from the op.
The working poor who bought homes under the various first-time and low-income assistance programs have almost nothing to do with the crisis. They defaulted at a lower rate than average. And they were a small part of a small portion of the residential real estate market.

The only reason that small uptick in default rates made any difference at all is because of the actions of Wall Street. They invented a highly leveraged, completely unregulated, $70 trillion market in derivatives that was wiped out almost overnight.

So yeah - we don't blame a few poor people.

Second - you completely missed the point if you think I said that conservatives aren't angry about the bailout. Of course they are. It involves money out of their pockets - which always makes them angry.

The point of the OP was to point out which makes them angrier. They are much angrier at poor people who game the system than they are at the ultra-rich who game the system.

Think about it: they want to deny a public health care system to the children of the working poor because they claim that a few poor people game the system. Yet they don't even want any regulations put in place over Wall Street even though a few of them were gaming the system for $billions.

It's about where they focus their anger.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
The working poor who bought homes under the various first-time and low-income assistance programs have almost nothing to do with the crisis. They defaulted at a lower rate than average. And they were a small part of a small portion of the residential real estate market.

The only reason that small uptick in default rates made any difference at all is because of the actions of Wall Street. They invented a highly leveraged, completely unregulated, $70 trillion market in derivatives that was wiped out almost overnight.

So yeah - we don't blame a few poor people.

Second - you completely missed the point if you think I said that conservatives aren't angry about the bailout. Of course they are. It involves money out of their pockets - which always makes them angry.

The point of the OP was to point out which makes them angrier. They are much angrier at poor people who game the system than they are at the ultra-rich who game the system.

Think about it: they want to deny a public health care system to the children of the working poor because they claim that a few poor people game the system. Yet they don't even want any regulations put in place over Wall Street even though a few of them were gaming the system for $billions.

It's about where they focus their anger.
I believe you are brainwashed to believe all conservatives are evil.
Of course there are a few who only want what is best for themselves but most believe what they do because its best for everyone. They may not be informed enough to know why one program would work and another would not but for you to blanket them as selfish evil people is wrong. And only demonstrates the mentality of an angry partisan liberal.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I believe you are brainwashed to believe all conservatives are evil.
Of course there are a few who only want what is best for themselves but most believe what they do because its best for everyone. They may not be informed enough to know why one program would work and another would not but for you to blanket them as selfish evil people is wrong. And only demonstrates the mentality of an angry partisan liberal.
There's no reason for you to go overboard here.

Go back to the OP and look at what I said. I made the point that conservatives get angrier at one group of people than they do at another. It's a generalization. That means that it's not true of everybody. It's just something that I noticed that holds true often enough to be useful.

Please address that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies