Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I'm anti-corporation and anti-Wall St. (though these might not be Liberal beliefs)
So where do you expect jobs to come from then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 PM

524 posts, read 942,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Barrack Obama made me a conservative
I've read many of your posts and you are not Conservative. I think you are independant and NOT as Liberal as Obama... but you are definitely not Conservative.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
I honestly wouldn't vote neither Democrat nor Republican because they're two sides of the same coin - both owned by lobbyists and corporations. I never fully realized this until I lived in the US, but it's really quite evident. You only have to look at Obama caving on the public option (when he totally did not have to).

As for the rest:

War: In some circumstances, yes. I think that Afghanistan is a worthy battle because we're making a difference there - this is important. Iraq is a cluster**** that I was against from day one. GWB and Cheney should be tried and hung for the lies they told to get the country in that mess.

Pro Choice: Nominally - as a man, I think this is a discussion that should be entirely up to women. I don't think anybody *relishes* the thought of abortion, but the difference between the right and left is that the right doesn't realize that abortions happened before Roe v. Wade. Overturning that law is not going to stop abortions. And please, if you really want converts to your cause, argue rationally; no dead baby banners, no "abstinence only." Advocate for sex-ed. too many teenagers get pregnant because they believe myths that continue to exist because of lack of education.

I'm pro unions: Depends on how greedy the union is. Some are greedy - not all.

Welfare: Yes, but with set limits. Don't but benefits, but set limits such as 2 years in every 10. There is WAY too much fraud - I know because I live in a "low-income" area with a lot of Section-8.

I fully support gay marriage: I don't even see how this is an issue in modern society.

I believe weed and prostitution should be legalized: Prostitution yes, weed no. I'm not sure if you've ever lived in an apartment building with other pot-smokers, but it's hell. Not because of their behavior, but because of the smell. It's quite possible to become high from second-hand pot-smoke, and this is an issue that not many people look at.

I believe in Gov't intervention/domestic: Sometimes. Environmentally, yes.

I'm now a supporter of universal health care: Absolutely

I'm anti-corporation and anti-Wall St.: I'm anti modern-corporation, because they've become nothing but profit-driven bloodsuckers that do more harm than good.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 574 times
Well reading what everyone has to say bout their beliefs which puts them into 1 of 3 categories, I'm OVER and UNDER IT! Does society really need more labels that only further separate us? I HAVE to be liberal because I believe healthcare needs regulation along with Wall Street? Hell no, because I love God and KNOW He should be part of everything humans do. Without God there is, NOTHING! This isn't a sermon, simply the Truth, that we ALL know! Ok,ok, didn't want to keep on, You know that feeling that your life has great purpose and/or lifes incomplete? God made us in His image, every human, to be god-like. That feeling I asked about is the Holy Spirit(aka God)reaching out to us, His children, to know Him and the peace only He can provide. So when you are standing for your last interview, will it matter if you are liberal or conservative? No, only what (your name) believed in and stood up for! And liberal, moderate, or conservative won't get you this JOB!

WE, the PEOPLE, need to start being responsible for OURSELVES! Get out of the political group mentality that 1 party and their "puppet" will make your opinions fact, inturn validating your existance.Its all just another paper bag smoothly put over your head, distracting you while your treasures are stolen. Oh yeah, while you're saying,"Thank's for leaving the lube at home!"

The craziest and coolest part of this post, MY GOD, used this opportunity to speak to His chosen. To those in His hand already and those He waits on. If you knew me, you probably wouldn't believe God used me to reach others. I'm not a great example of what it means to be "Christ-like". I've had moments where glory was brought forth for God. And I've had my lowSSSS. But My God has NEVER and will NEVER forsake me. Chastised? You bet! Forgiven? 1,2,3,4....and counting! Thankful? Everyday!

Agape= Greek word meaning to love unconditionally! God's Love for us! All you need is to ask!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoranges View Post
Conservatives are optimistic, motivated, people lovers. Liberals are down and out, jealous, vindictive and hate Americans, think Hillary.
You are so wrong in your thinking that it's all out pitiful. Conservatives are always bitter angry over people being on welfare. They're always worried someone is going to get something for free that they are not. Only once would I like to see conservatives count their blessings and quitting that they aren't like the people on welfare.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The #1 reason I am a conservative is that I am a strong believer in traditional family values. I believe the welfare state has done more to destroy the family than anything ever created. Just look at our nations inner cities, Look at all the social problems that are caused when the welfare check replaces the father figure.
So you mean you think it's wrong and immoral to give poor people a hand, because by doing so you'll only encourage them to believe that if they just keep on being poor they will keep on getting those handouts.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post

I believe weed and prostitution should be legalized: Prostitution yes, weed no. I'm not sure if you've ever lived in an apartment building with other pot-smokers, but it's hell. Not because of their behavior, but because of the smell. It's quite possible to become high from second-hand pot-smoke, and this is an issue that not many people look at.
Surely, there's apartment buildings that don't permit smoking.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:16 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
I'm a Democrat with libertarian leanings.

100% anti-war. (But I don't get silly about it and pretend that Libya is on the same scale as Iraq.)
Balance the budget by cutting the military first.
Pro-gay marriage.
Opposed to affirmative action.
Opposed to incarcerating non-violent criminals.
Pro-choice.
Anti- most government intervention in families.
Pro-Bill of Rights. All of it.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
I'm mixed on some things, such as going to war. It really depends on the situation. We don't need to be invading other countries just for the sake of commodoties or humanitarian reasons. The U.S. should only be involved in combat if another nation or movement is threatening our borders or our national security. World War II was really the only recent war in which we had any legitimate business to be involved in. The others (Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.) not so much.

I am definitely pro choice, but not really in favor of the act of abortion. I'm personally against it for birth control reasons, and especially gender selection. But with that said, I don't believe the gov't has any business putting bans or restrictions on abortion. This is one issue which has become too politicized on both sides ... but it really a personal/private matter & should be completely left up to the individual and the doctor.

I'm definitely anti union, and against minimum wage laws as well. I am entirely in favor of free enterprise, and the right to work laws. Unions were beneficial and even necessary at one time, but they became corrupt, overpowering, and too demanding in the last 50 to 60 years. Unions also tend to coddle lazy workers that should rightfully be reprimanded or even terminated. Their unrealistic demands for higher wages & increased benefits affect all of us in a negative way because it leads to price increases, higher cost of living, higher taxes, but a decrease in quality goods & services. The worst thing about unionized workers: when they go on strike and leave people without basic services.

I'm completely against welfare of any kind, especially as a permanent source of income. People need to earn a living and pay their own way for things. Some assistance for those who have faced desperate situations is fine only on a temporary basis ... but even then, I prefer that it be from charities and individual contributions instead of the gov't. Too many people take advantage of free gov't services, which really equates to welfare in the big picture.

Same sex marriage is a non issue for me because it doesn't affect me. I don't personally favor it, but I wouldn't mind if it were to become fully legal in all states. On the other hand, I don't favor laws that completely ban same sex marriage, and I have voted against them in my state. This is one of those issues in which I say "live and let live, and mind your own business".

I am a strong advocate for legalization of marijuana and prostitution. I don't like either one on a personal level, but they are two additional things in which keeping them illegal doesn't stop them from happening ... in fact, there is evidence that the more laws & restrictions there are, the more addicts there are. Marijuana and even cocaine & heroin were fully legal 100 years ago, and there wasn't a drug abuse problem. Seems awfully funny that once the Prohibition styled laws were passed making drugs illegal, the more drugs became abused. As for laws against prostitution, all they have done is create more disease carrying street & internet hookers. Nevada has the right idea: legalize it, but confine it to brothels, and require that AIDS/STD testing be done on all the women.

I am completely against universal health care, and I am a strong opponent of Obamacare. Like with anything else, the gov't does not need to be involved in providing health care, mandating it, or regulating it. All that does is create higher costs and more of a mess. Privatized health care and insurance are the only effective methods. They are not perfect, but they at least give people a choice as far as benefits and costs. Health care should not be required for everybody either. I figure that anybody with the least amount of intelligence will buy some kind of health insurance ... and if they don't, too bad!

I'm pro corporation and pro Wall Street ... pro capitalism overall, although I am against the corruption & greed. Actually, a certain amount of greed is fine as long as it doesn't lead to fraud. When somebody steals money or defrauds their employees, customers, or investors, the guilty should definitely be punished to the full extent of the law ... and I also believe restitution should be paid. This is really the only time gov't should be involved in regulating private business. Otherwise, free enterprise should be pretty much free of gov't interference.

Overall, I'm a conservative Libertarian. There are some issues in which I am not so much of a Libertarian, however ... such as crime & punishment. I fully support the death penalty for murderers, but I dislike how today's form of capital punishment is administered. I would like to see much swifter, quicker action on death penalty cases ... and I am also in favor of bringing back firing squads, hangings, electric chairs, etc. I also am against illegal immigration, and am in favor of deportation, but I also believe that more action should be taken against businesses that hire illegals. Lastly, I want education to become completely privatized. It is, after all, a business and should be completely run by free enterprise instead of the gov't.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
The old adage was that a liberal was someone who hadn't been mugged or robbed yet.

Another adage is that liberals are usually college students (or celebrities, lottery winners or retirees now), while conservatives are working taxpayers who put in over 50 hours a week.

Personally, after working for government (local and federal), getting a car stolen by a Providence RI gang, having my house broken into many times in many states, having a cop tear up the ticket of a guy who rear-ended us at a stoplight after the perpetrator told the cop he was a reserve cop, and after paying incredible amounts of taxes while seeing my dirt-poor father get NOTHING from the government he so willingly gave to--I became a Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies