Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,916 times

Advertisements

There was a 5-year gap between Al Qaeda attacks against US targets in the 1990s. There has been an 8-year period so far since 9/11 with no Al Qaeda attacks against US or Western Europe targets. Does anyone really believe the current gap is totally due to US counterterrorism activities?

If one believes that the time between Al Qaeda attacks in the 1990s was due to Al Qaeda's own decision-making, then the present absence of attacks could also be due to the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
There has been an 8-year period so far since 9/11 with no Al Qaeda attacks against US or Western Europe targets.
Incorrect. Spain, UK, Indonesia.

Kenyan/Tanzanian bombings in 1998.

USS Cole in 2000.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
You cannot be serious.

Do some homework.

Al-Qaida timeline: Plots and attacks - Hunt for Al-Qaida- msnbc.com

Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
There was a 5-year gap between Al Qaeda attacks against US targets in the 1990s. There has been an 8-year period so far since 9/11 with no Al Qaeda attacks against US or Western Europe targets. Does anyone really believe the current gap is totally due to US counterterrorism activities?

If one believes that the time between Al Qaeda attacks in the 1990s was due to Al Qaeda's own decision-making, then the present absence of attacks could also be due to the same.

That would be an interesting point if al Qaeda were the only terrorist organization.

1993 WTC bombing
1998 US embassy bombings
2000 USS Cole
2001 9/11

Looks to me like we had four attacks in the eight year period 1993 to 2001 doing things the left's way and zero attacks in eight years doing things Bush's way. Thank you President Bush for keeping us safe by taking the fight to the terrorist. Brilliant!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

I'm talking about Al Qaeda specifically, not other groups.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
there is no specific AQ anymore. They have splintered in all sorts of directions. Of course our CT efforts have foiled a lot of things. anyone that believes otherwise is probably getting their news from msnbc, the huffington post, or some idiot in hollywood..

Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

That would be an interesting point if al Qaeda were the only terrorist organization.

1993 WTC bombing
1998 US embassy bombings
2000 USS Cole
2001 9/11

Looks to me like we had four attacks in the eight year period 1993 to 2001 doing things the left's way and zero attacks in eight years doing things Bush's way. Thank you President Bush for keeping us safe by taking the fight to the terrorist. Brilliant!
Are you deliberately this uneducated?

Zero attacks in 8 years?

Try again, babe.

Jan. 31, 2002: Daniel Pearl is kidnapped and beheaded.

March 20, 2002: A car bomb kills 9 people and wounds 30 more outside the U.S. Embassy in Lima, Peru.

June 14, 2002: 11 people are killed, and 45 wounded by a suicide car bomber outside the U.S. consulate in Karachi.

Oct. 12, 2002: 202 people were killed, and hundreds more wounded, when bombs ripped through a nightclub in Bali. Terrorists admitted they thought there'd be more Americans there.

May 16, 2003: 44 people are killed and 60 more wounded in 5 bomb blasts in Casablanca.

June 7, 2003: 4 people are killed and 31 more wounded in a suicide car bombing east of Kabul.

Aug. 5, 2003: 16 people are killed and 150 wounded when a truck bomb tears apart the Marriott Hotel in Jakarta.

Nov. 20, 2003: 32 people are killed in bomb blasts, targeting London-based HSBC bank and the British consulate in Istanbul.

Feb. 6, 2004: 40 people are killed in a suicide bombing in the Moscow Metro.

March 11, 2004: 190 people are killed and hundreds wounded in a co-ordinated bombing of trains in Madrid.

May 1, 2004: 5 people are killed in an attack on an Exxon/Mobil refinery facility in Saudi Arabia.

Dec. 6, 2004: 5 people are killed in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia. Al Qaeda claims responsibility.

July 7, 2005: 56 people are killed in the worst terrorist attack ever in the UK, when suicide bombers detonate bombs on London Underground trains and a double-decker bus.

July 23, 2005: 63 people are killed in the worst terrorist attack in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, when bombs were detonated at hotels favored by Western tourists.

And that's only through mid-2005!

678 people DEAD from terrorist attacks that primarily targeted Americans and Westerners.

Yeah, things have been real quiet in the terrorist department for the past 8 years.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

I'm talking about Al Qaeda specifically, not other groups.
What part of "Al-Qaida Timeline: Plots & Attacks" did you think didn't refer to Al-Qaida plots and attacks?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 AM

223 posts, read 829,546 times
I was born in Elmhurst, Queens New York City and lived in Jackson Heights my family moved to Jersey I lived in Elizabeth,NJ Edison,NJ and South Jersey outside of Camden, NJ and Philadelphia, PA so I have been on the East Coast my whole life.

I was in class when i was younger when 911 happened, out teacher let us out early the entire area where i live was on red alert, every police officer in New York and New Jersey was out ready for a fight. My brother, my friend, and I took a car ride to Perth Amboy, NJ outside of Staten Island, NY and you can see Manhattan in the distance. I never saw anything like this before, My ex-girlfriend and I would go to the bay in Perth Amboy and look at the view, but this time all of Manhattan was covered in smoke it was like somebody lit all of Manhattan of fire and Manhattan, Ny is huge, I could not see any buildings. People were at the bay taking pictures and video camera footage. When we got back to my house we thought that New York and New Jersey was under attack, and every one was ready for a fight like all real New Yorkers and New Jerseians always are. I found out later that down in Washington D.C. a plane crashed into a building as well. I remeber the war rally when everybody had a American Flag on their car, and I saw little kids and grown ups in every town on the East Coast waving the American Flag and everytime cars would drive by they honked their horns. I had people in my class that lost family in 911 and many people in this part of Jersey work in Manhattan, NY. Other family members of my friends were stuck in the City that day for a long time. I will never forget this or forgive as long as I live!!!!!!!

God Bless the N.Y.P.D and New York Fighfighters that lost their lives that day their the best, and all of our troops fighting these bastards!!!!

This is personal for me and anybody around this area, many of my friends joined the Marines and Army after the attack to fight for the U.S. We all grew up in Blue Collar and Poor families on the East Coast and its people like us that fight the wars for this country called America!!!! God Bless them to!!!!!!

I am sick and tired of Al-Qaeda they ain't sh** wrong country to start a war with. I don't care about these timetables and gap between attacks lets go kill these punks before they can do anything else to the U.S. or the world, my friend joined the Marines and went over their and killed 19 of these terroists bastards, he said killing was not something he liked but he did his duty. GOOD JOB!!! If the catch ( and they will or kill him ) Bin Laden drop him in the middle of Manhattan we got a score to settle!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:

1993 WTC bombing
1998 US embassy bombings
2000 USS Cole
2001 9/11

Yes except Clinton found those responsible for the WTC attacks and Oklahoma city bombing and threw their sorry butts in jail. Unlike Bush who couldn't catch his own dick in his zipper.

Quote:
Thank you President Bush for keeping us safe by taking the fight to the terrorist. Brilliant!
And if you are going to claim that Bush "kept us safe" since 9-11, then you must also admit he failed to protect us on 9-11. I know you'd like to, but you can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies