Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Because some enterprising young plowjock of a Democrat will pull the race card out at first muster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Because some enterprising young plowjock of a Democrat will pull the race card out at first muster.
oh, is that why?

They havent been shy about harassing him before now, remember the "Rangel Rule"?

He was black back then, too.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
oh, is that why?

They havent been shy about harassing him before now, remember the "Rangel Rule"?

He was black back then, too.

I remember the "Rangel Rule" quite vividly. I also understand the politics of voicing opposition. Democrats protest, they're seen as tax evading cohorts. They already are skittish due to Geitner, Daschle, et al. So they keep their mouths shut. That's how oppositional grandstanding works. But the moment a Republican goes on the air criticizing Rangel, someone, somewhere will pull out some variation of "its because he's black" defense. Rangel uses it frequently. I see no reason to believe his supporters will act any differently.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I remember the "Rangel Rule" quite vividly. I also understand the politics of voicing opposition. Democrats protest, they're seen as tax evading cohorts. They already are skittish due to Geitner, Daschle, et al. So they keep their mouths shut. That's how oppositional grandstanding works. But the moment a Republican goes on the air criticizing Rangel, someone, somewhere will pull out some variation of "its because he's black" defense. Rangel uses it frequently. I see no reason to believe his supporters will act any differently.
In your post you said that all the Republicans in Congress are timid little doe-like creatures afraid to speak up about Rangel's taxes for fear of losing their jobs because they'll be forever and indelibly branded "racist"....I think they've got their own financial skeletons to protect so Oi reckon we have to disagree.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
In your post you said that all the Republicans in Congress are timid little doe-like creatures afraid to speak up about Rangel's taxes for fear of losing their jobs because they'll be forever and indelibly branded "racist"....I think they've got their own financial skeletons to protect so Oi reckon we have to disagree.
I can meet in the middle. Democrats will use the race card. Republicans fear the closet door swinging open. It's an impasse and the root of all things wrong in Washington DC. I'll buy that.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Because people will look at their own tax crimes and realize what ever they do to another cheat will be done to them with as much gusto.

IMHO get anyone who does equally, irregardless of political party.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM

A financial audit should be performed on every newly-elected and re-elected politician. The change in financial status, and definitive proof of it, after just one term in office would probably be enough make this country descend into anarchy. Not to mention that of career politicians, whose $100K plus salaries shouldn't make any of them rich by most standards. It would be the ultimate tell-all, and we as a nation deserve to see it.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:00 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Everyone's silent because the U.S. tax laws are so bizarre and complex that anyone can easily be accused of cheating on their taxes. The more income one makes, the easier the accusation is to make stick. And too, since income tax law is predicated on an assumption of guilt, smart Americans never desire to stir that vile cauldron.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
A financial audit should be performed on every newly-elected and re-elected politician. The change in financial status, and definitive proof of it, after just one term in office would probably be enough make this country descend into anarchy. Not to mention that of career politicians, whose $100K plus salaries shouldn't make any of them rich by most standards. It would be the ultimate tell-all, and we as a nation deserve to see it.
agree, but it's coercive. maybe candidates for office should be compelled to show all by a vociferous constituency before election day, at a live Town Hall. Then they have to do it in person and with a smile...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies