Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
My post, right above yours.

Same difference with this bunch.
What you said there tells too much. These people at the Dept. of Education and the White House have no knowledge of what to tell small children and they should have asked some teachers about this instead of letting fly and then talkiing about an honest mistake. Honest, hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What you said there tells too much. These people at the Dept. of Education and the White House have no knowledge of what to tell small children and they should have asked some teachers about this instead of letting fly and then talkiing about an honest mistake. Honest, hell.
Teachers wrote it

I didnt see in that article the word "mistake,"did you? Please quote it cos I dont see it.

edit - oh, it said "misunderstanding". That's different from "mistake" as you know, sanrene. You dont have to stretch the truth for these sheep.

Quote:
What happens if he does not do what you hope he will do? They have already changed a number of the questions they originally wanted asked and will probably do so before it happens.
Roy, "a number of questions"? What other ones have they changed?

What are you afraid he's going to do?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What "crap"?
Not everyone was outraged by the president's decision to send a videotaped message to America's schoolchildren something President George H.W. Bush did 18 years ago, though without the accompanying homework.

Well since I did not have children then I can not say but as I said either here or on the other thread about this I don't think school time should be spent this way no matter WHO the President is.

Quote:
"I can't think of anything less partisan than this," said Mo Elleithee, a Democratic strategist. "It's admirable that President Obama would challenge our schoolchildren to do their best, and it's the kind of message that most level-headed Americans can easily get behind."
And I care what she thinks why? She is not raising my kids, she is not feeding them, she is not paying for them so why do I give a rats behind what she thinks?

Quote:
Mr. Elleithee called the moral outrage " beyond silly" and said it was " the kind of hyper-partisanship that people so soundly rejected last November."
Again she has ZERO clue about me, my children or their education. This should NOT be happen during school hours. Stop wasting time with this crap and us it to TEACH the kids what we send them to school to learn.

Quote:
Longtime political analyst Norman Ornstein said he viewed the strong reaction to Mr. Obama's speech as a sign of the coarsening of American politics.

"The fact that a standard issue speech by a president, with a good, common sense, even conservative message about education, school, hard work and perseverance, is being hit hard by the right tells us how dysfunctional our politics are, how shrill the discourse is getting from the president's foes, and how some people are blinded from common sense by their visceral hatred for Obama and his side of the aisle," Mr. Orenstein said.
NOT IN SCHOOL! Do it in prime time so I as the parent can decide if I want my child to hear it.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
But is there any reason to even hope that 4 and 5 year olds can be taught about government or even think beyond coloring picture of The Man. This is not an honest attempt at anything other than getting the brainwashing of children started at a early age.
Oh, for pity's sake! The kids will take the whole thing at their level, and so will their teachers. BTW, there aren't many 4 year olds in the public kindergartens.

My youngest was in kindergarten, in 1992, an election year. Geo HW Bush was the pres, and the schools had this "Kid's Voting" project going on to teach kids about the elction. The littlest kids could choose a picture of which candidate they wanted. No one in our conservative, yea Libertarianm town pitched a hissy fit. My DD loved it!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They are not living in a vacuum. Personal responsibility, hard work, perseverence is crap? This is probably more useful than the many "assemblies", Track and Field days, and field trips are.
Yeah ask any 5 year old what "perseverance" means? And please tell me how a 5 year old who can barely write in a sentence is suppose to write a letter to themselves on how they can help the President? Maybe I don't want my child to help the President, isn't the President suppose to help us? Isn't that why he was elected? I do not want my kid at 5 involved in ANY kind of politics. PERIOD!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
NOT IN SCHOOL! Do it in prime time so I as the parent can decide if I want my child to hear it.
You really need to get a grip on your control issues.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
But is there any reason to even hope that 4 and 5 year olds can be taught about government or even think beyond coloring picture of The Man. This is not an honest attempt at anything other than getting the brainwashing of children started at a early age.
I am guessing from your first sentence that you have no children. I've taken my kids with me when I vote since they were infants. We discuss it and they have asked random questions at those ages.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah ask any 5 year old what "perseverance" means? And please tell me how a 5 year old who can barely write in a sentence is suppose to write a letter to themselves on how they can help the President? Maybe I don't want my child to help the President, isn't the President suppose to help us? Isn't that why he was elected? I do not want my kid at 5 involved in ANY kind of politics. PERIOD!
"Ask not what your country can do for you. . . "

Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You really need to get a grip on your control issues.

WHAT! Why because I think it is inappropriate I am a control freak? Because I do care unlike many parents what my child at the age of 5 sees and hears? I got news for you that makes me a caring parent not a controlling one.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Well since I did not have children then I can not say but as I said either here or on the other thread about this I don't think school time should be spent this way no matter WHO the President is.

And I care what she thinks why? She is not raising my kids, she is not feeding them, she is not paying for them so why do I give a rats behind what she thinks?

Again she has ZERO clue about me, my children or their education. This should NOT be happen during school hours. Stop wasting time with this crap and us it to TEACH the kids what we send them to school to learn.

It would actually be inappropriate for him to speak to children at home via the TV. It's entirely appropriate and even inspiring for children to associate civics with school, school with civics.

He is not going to hypnotize them into becoming Muslims or whatever you're panicking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies