Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Seems creepy. If they wanted to play his State of the Union speech and talk about it, that's one thing. This is wrong.
What's wrong with it? Are the RWs afraid the kids will like Obama and tell their parents to support him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM

38,033 posts, read 22,209,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Seems creepy. If they wanted to play his State of the Union speech and talk about it, that's one thing. This is wrong.
Even with a state of the union speech, the children should not be asked to write laudatory statements praising president and the speech, this is the creepy third world crap, where school children are taught to lionize their tin pot dictator.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,806,968 times
Two mighty rivers flow throughout American history, racism and anti-intellectualism.
I see the flow remains undiminshed.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,062,435 times
Here's a link to a Bill O'Reilly article (yes, the same Bill O'Reilly who generally takes any opportunity to criticize our Commander-In-Chief) that I think has a place in this discussion. I particularly like points #4 & #5, something I hope our President addresses in his speech to our children.

Quote:
■ Lesson Four: Hard Work
A child does not go from taking English lessons in Indonesia to editing the Harvard Law Review without doing some tough work. The President earned his present job by performing in school and, later, in his various jobs. He was smart enough to lay a foundation for success. Early on as a kid, he understood the big picture.

“Barack Obama loves his work,” Saunders says. “And this is a great example for children. They must understand that work is very important and will ultimately define their lives.”

■ Lesson Five—perhaps the greatest lesson the President can teach children: In America, anything is possible
This is something of a cliché, but never has it been more vividly illustrated. Barack Obama, a youngster in Hawaii without his parents around, has toughed it out and become one of history’s great stories, no matter what happens going forward. What he has achieved in his 48 years is simply astounding.
I will encourage my children to watch the address, which will be broadcast at their school. I plan to watch it concurrently and to discuss it with them afterward. I really do not understand the outcry over the speech. I really don't.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-03-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
The very premise of this thread is obscene and should be treated as such.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,937,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13257516?source=rss

can you say 'indoctrination'? this man needs to stay out of the classrooms. he has no place there.

if he wants 'dialogue' and hands-on with at-risk children in poor neighborhoods, then he needs to physically GO to those specific schools, sit down on the floor with the children depending on their age, and read them an 'age-appropriate' children's book...and have a word or two of 'age appropriate' conversation with them regarding how important school is!

what will the kindergartners get from his speech? the same thing that the 8th graders will? I think not.

imo, he has no place to be doing this. I'm far from the minority here as well, in my opinion, just read some of the comments below the article.

our current president appears to have many narcissistic traits and IMO, needs to get over himself and do the least damage possible to our country in his 4yr stint. unfortunately, though, it's not apparent that he's going to finish out his term like that.....
Absolutely, and he is paying for it in the polls.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,962,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
The previous poster was saying I was bringing up gender bias and being racist, etc, etc. As a gay man, I understand gender/racial/sexual inequality. I get it.

You Obamacrats are too funny. Come back to the world of us Democrats.

I'm gay too, and you know what? Racism is very prevalent in the gay community. Sorry, but it's true.

I'm not saying that one cannot find legitimate fault with Obama, but the tone and loudness of the criticism against him, a president only EIGHT months into office, suggests something else entirely.

I'm not enamored with Obama, and would have reluctantly voted for him. But all of these attacks, which are fueled in part by racism (it's quite palpable) are leading me to stand up for him.

He's an intelligent black male. A significant part of the country didn't even have to wait for him to open his mouth before they started hating him.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Topic is total BS. The divisive issue is RACE. There is a BLACK man in the white house and it drives racist white idiots insane.
Get real.

One, he is not black he is of mixed race. He can never be the first African American President.

Two, the issues are not his color at all, the issues is his lack of leadership skills, his poor decision making and his overall poor judgment.

Stop making excuses, he is plain and simple doing a lousy job and you know it.

Facts are tuff to beat, record foreclosures, bankruptcies, car repo's, job losses, record DEBT and the list goes on and on and on.

Look at his record Mike and keep trying to defend him only because of his race he gets a free pass? Is that what you are saying?

If you had done the lousy job he has so far you would be fired a long time ago.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Get real.

One, he is not black he is of mixed race. He can never be the first African American President.

Two, the issues are not his color at all, the issues is his lack of leadership skills, his poor decision making and his overall poor judgment.

Stop making excuses, he is plain and simple doing a lousy job and you know it.

Facts are tuff to beat, record foreclosures, bankruptcies, car repo's, job losses, record DEBT and the list goes on and on and on.

Look at his record Mike and keep trying to defend him only because of his race he gets a free pass? Is that what you are saying?

If you had done the lousy job he has so far you would be fired a long time ago.
If you have to split hairs like that, it's racism. Most blacks in this country are of mixed ancestry. But you knew that.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,056,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Topic is total BS. The divisive issue is RACE. There is a BLACK man in the white house and it drives racist white idiots insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies