Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Very goooood.

Now add this to your notes: The President, the head of the Executive Branch, has nothing to do with writing legislation unless there is a mindless Congress who does exactly what the President asks (like when Bush was President). Democratic majority Congresses are far, far less likely to let a president dictate legislation than Republican majorities are. Democrats fight among themselves, Republicans fall in line behind their leaders.

BTW, the reason one should vote for parties and not personalities is exactly as you say -- committee chairman, who control legislation, always come from the majority party. This is one way the majority party controls legislation.

So it really doesn't matter if Obama has spoken to the Republicans or not -- he doesn't write legislation. What does it matter?
Good grief. The President works with the Majority Leader to present the Administration's points to his party. The VP works with the Senate to promote the admin's points in legislation. Bills are written up by whomever wishes to write them up - regardless of party affiliation. Some issues the President is very specific about what he wants to be contained in particular legislation. Any Congressman or Senator can submit a bill - usually, several members actually draft it and then others sign on. This is not complicated. Members work across party lines on most significant legislation.

Most chairmen are not gonna just shoot down legislation simply b/c it is from across the aisle, but in this Congress - that is exactly what is happening.

Go back and look at the link I gave you - and you will see how many bills got a vote in that committee - and how many were not even considered. If the chairman doesn't want a bill to see the light of day - he can send it back or he can table it - whatever. That is why folks want to gain seniority - the chairmanships go to the most senior members of the majority party.

Why are you refusing to acknowledge that dirty dealing has gone on here? The DEMS are screaming - GOP has produced nothing - yet I have clearly shown you they HAVE - but the DEMs won't let it out of committee! Why won't you just say - Yeah - politics as usual. It goes on by both sides at times. Why play their games by agreeing that the GOP has submitted nothing worthwhile to the discussion???

It would be more sincere to say - yeah, the GOP submitted bills but they sucked. At least that would be an honest opinion - and not a lie (that they submitted nothing). The DEMs are flat out LYING by saying the GOP has submitted nothing. Fair is fair. Can't you just admit that you checked it out - and the DEMs are not being honest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
G O O D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't vote for a republican and they didn't win.

They did nothing about Health care reform.

They don't want to now.

They never have.

They are obstructionists.

They have puppets (Palin,etc.) start absurd lies about Obama's plan. Is THAT constructive input? NO!

They have proven they care nothing for middle class Americans.

They have no plan. If they did why didn't they work on getting it passed the eight years bush was in office?
That's fine. But if this is the case, then Obama needs to stop LYING about reaching across the aisle and bi-partisanship and all this other tripe. Since he has not included the Repubs in the process, he can't blame them for being against it. He says that they have not offered any constructive input or ideas. Apparantly he can say that because he hasn't met with them. Nice CYA. Obama has proved his word is not credible, that it all lies on a semantic or technicality, and the people aren't buyin whatever dope he's pushing. He needs to tell the truth and say "I won. It's my way" and stop with the bs'ing and the "I'm open to new ideas and putting things on the table." He's NOT. He could stop LYING to the American people by saying "America, I've heard your voices and your concern over the past month, and I want to include those in this debate and come up with something that will address those so that we have a good piece of legislation for the sake of the American people, rather than pushing through a bad piece of legislation for the sake of party and politics. But guess what? HE WON"T do that either. Because he is a LIAR.

Last edited by cobolt; 09-09-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Why invite a person that already made his decision to vote NO?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Who needs the Republicans if the Democrats have a super majority in both houses? Who else will they not need in the future? The unions, the elderly, the minorities?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Who needs the Republicans if the Democrats have a super majority in both houses? Who else will they not need in the future? The unions, the elderly, the minorities?
And yet.....all the GlObama razzle dazzle and smooth talking can't get those Dems with the SUPER MAJORITY in BOTH houses to side with him. Forget about the GOP. They're not even in the picture. The Dems can't even get their Sh8t together.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Any Congressman or Senator can submit a bill - usually, several members actually draft it and then others sign on.
And then it goes to the appropriate committee(s) and some bills never see the light of day. Others are dramatically changed.

Quote:
Most chairmen are not gonna just shoot down legislation simply b/c it is from across the aisle, but in this Congress - that is exactly what is happening.
Yeah. Right. That's why all that Democratic legislation got passed over the past eight years. You are delusional if you think "this" Congress is any different. But then, the Republicans made it a point to propose things that the Dems would not agree with. The Republicans were totally partisan during the entire Bush administration and the only difference now is that they are out of power.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
And then it goes to the appropriate committee(s) and some bills never see the light of day. Others are dramatically changed.

Yeah. Right. That's why all that Democratic legislation got passed over the past eight years. You are delusional if you think "this" Congress is any different. But then, the Republicans made it a point to propose things that the Dems would not agree with. The Republicans were totally partisan during the entire Bush administration and the only difference now is that they are out of power.
Congress Deadlocked Over How To Not Provide Health Care | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 09-09-2009, 05:40 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The Wh is full...all these Czars, Obama's illegal aunt, Michelle Obama's mom, Rev. wright, father Pfleger, etc...no place for honest people who have a plan!

Please outline the GOP plan.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:

Sagran, I was honest enuff to say - it goes on from both sides at times.

All I am asking is . . . why cant the DEMs (and you, in this case) just admit that the Republicans HAVE tried to contribute to the conversation, so it is disingenuous for the Dems to say they havent attempted to contribute anything.

That is all I am asking.

I am just asking for ONE PERSON out there, who is a Democrat, to say - Ya know - I realize that this is a lot of political jive talk going on . . . and it is just hyping up folks more b/c their voices are not being heard - so the Dems should stop with the accusations that the GOP have done nothing. I would just like for ONE PERSON out there to be fair about this - and say that he/she realizes there are games being played.

Can't you be that ONE PERSON?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times
Quote:
If the Republicans had health care reform ideas, they had 8 years to pass them. What did they have then? Nothing. Not one damn thing.
The Repug's were busy looking for WMD's in Iraq...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies