Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM

192 posts, read 219,815 times

Advertisements

I'll start by saying that I do believe that most of the global warming is man made, there's probably some cyclical stuff in there, but there really isn't anything we can do about the cyclical stuff.

Anyway, I have read a whole bunch of environmentalist magazines and there are some article on how to save money and help fight global warming. My family has done many of the suggestions, such as replacing all of our windows a few years ago and changing our bulbs to the compact ones. But it has had no effect on our electricity, oil, or heating bills. Not one dime have any of these bills gone down and they have even gone up a few dollars.

Anyway, this summer my family saw an article that said to keep your house at 78 degrees Farenheit. I thought that was a joke, I really did. For some reason my grandparents think that most people do keep their houses at 78 degrees during the summer and 65 during the winter. I told them that I thought they were wrong.

We tried keeping our house at 78 degree for a week this past summer and we were all miserable, even on the days where it was only in the mid 80's. Sure it saved us a few bucks, but no one could sleep, because it was so sticky and uncomfortable.

Do you think people really follow these crazy suggestions to keep their houses at 78 degrees during the summer and 65 during the winter? That sounds insane. There is no way I am giving up comfort to help the environment, especially if it means I can't sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
I'll start by saying that I do believe that most of the global warming is man made, there's probably some cyclical stuff in there, but there really isn't anything we can do about the cyclical stuff.

Anyway, I have read a whole bunch of environmentalist magazines and there are some article on how to save money and help fight global warming. My family has done many of the suggestions, such as replacing all of our windows a few years ago and changing our bulbs to the compact ones. But it has had no effect on our electricity, oil, or heating bills. Not one dime have any of these bills gone down and they have even gone up a few dollars.

Anyway, this summer my family saw an article that said to keep your house at 78 degrees Farenheit. I thought that was a joke, I really did. For some reason my grandparents think that most people do keep their houses at 78 degrees during the summer and 65 during the winter. I told them that I thought they were wrong.

We tried keeping our house at 78 degree for a week this past summer and we were all miserable, even on the days where it was only in the mid 80's. Sure it saved us a few bucks, but no one could sleep, because it was so sticky and uncomfortable.

Do you think people really follow these crazy suggestions to keep their houses at 78 degrees during the summer and 65 during the winter? That sounds insane. There is no way I am giving up comfort to help the environment, especially if it means I can't sleep.
73 degrees during the day and 70 at night, year round.

When we are out of the house for an extended period of time, we lower the temp in the winter to 65 and raise it in the summer to 78. But when I am in the house I want to be comfortable.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
80 in the Summer, 78 during the monsoon, the A/C works better at that temp.
60 in the winter. At 4600 ft I can go about 6 months with neither.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Any temperature I darn well PLEASE.....THAT's what temperature I keep my house at!!...

Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
75 in summer. 68 in winter during the day and 65 overnight in winter.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:06 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Any temperature I darn well PLEASE.....THAT's what temperature I keep my house at!!...
Yup...I like it nice and frosty year round.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Dehumidifiers work wonders in a muggy house. I live in the high desert. I like it 80, and breezy in the house in summer, and about 60 in winter. I use a swamp cooler, small /ac, and space heaters. I close off all unused rooms, and dress in layers, or nothing at all, depending. I love 105 degrees outside with a good breeze in summer. It's ironic. We do need dehumidifiers during the desert monsoon season. I open the windows when the conditions warrant it.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:

Summer Day 74
Summer Night 71
Winter Day 67
Winter Night 64

There is no freakin way I could keep my house at 78 in the summer that is way to hot. If I am not home that is different. We do have two zone heating so we adjust the downstairs at night but 78 in the summer? Ugh no way.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
People do it more for the cost savings than for "society". A few degrees can make a big $$ impact.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:

I tried keeping it at 76-77 during the summer. Not effective... the upstairs is gets to 85-86 degrees! I keep it at 73-74 degrees in the summer; 75 or turn it off overnight.

For winter, it is kept at 74-76 degrees. There is an elderly person in the house and I have to make sure it does not get too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies