Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times

Advertisements

There are some really bad Jews out there-- including Jewish drug dealers, murderers, and criminals-- just like every other group of people.

BRAVO! Couldn't of said it any better myself!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
vegaspilgrim, you might good points, however, changing one's sense of identity, and altering language is quite a task!

If you have any good suggestions how to make the distinction between those who identify as Jewish, but are not religious--such as Woody Allen (went to school with his baby sister), perhaps some of the myths about culture, ethnicity and religion, regardless of affiliation (Reformed, etc) could clear the path to a greater understanding of the nature of "some" Jewish people. It is unlikely, however, that such a change would be disseminated widely enough to alter pre-conceived or pre-existing perceptions.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
LOL! I have alot of ancestors who have red hair and very fair skin too! Maybe people are just not really educated here on things, and if they were they would not be so quick to judge here maybe...if you do wear makeup.....do you wear makeup just for redheads? My best friend does, its made for light complexions and red hair! And she also avoids the sun like the plague, too bad she lives in callie!
I also live in California, but we're usually covered in fog up here in SF... which is what I love most about it! (of course, today it's HOT and sunny for a change - blech)

I don't wear makeup too often, but when I do, it's very neutral earthtone-y shades... mostly MAC products, which aren't specifically made for redheads. But I have tried a few "just for redheads" brands, and they worked pretty well! We basically have to stay away from anything too dramatic, like heavy black eyeliner/mascara, and bright reds or pinks.

Btw, there are actually a lot of redheaded Jews, usually coming from Northern/Eastern Europe... I'm more than half Polish, where I think the red hair came from. Supposedly it's due to Viking invasions, where they raped & pillaged around Eastern Europe, leaving behind a bunch of fair-skinned babies. But who knows?!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times
I wear little myself, just enough to enhance but not to be noticeable. Red and Pink is not the best color for a redhead, I agree! Then again, if it makes someone happy, sobeit!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
I don't think they play down their being Jewish all....unless they're in an area which is very, very WASPY. In fact, they are quite in your face about it. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they help each other out more so than do other groups, as there are many nondescript WASPs who are just as intelligent, and just as, if not more affable, but not as connected. Other groups (Protestants and Catholics) are too large, too diverse and not readily identifiable enough to give each other "Oh, you're (insert name of religion or ethinicity), welcome aboard." Some Jewish people I've known, having been raised in the 1st and 2nd largest metro areas in America, accentuate the "us-them" canyon. Just my opinion based on my experiences.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:33 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,193,172 times
There is one group that actually makes more money than the Jews: the Anglicans.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
There is one group that actually makes more money than the Jews: the Anglicans.
Except for some Southern Aristocracy or Northeastern starched golf club variants of this sort, I don't think their networking is as intense.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Well, call me surprised! Another thread started by someone quoting information from Wikipedia. To the OP: please be aware that anyone can post anything on Wikipedia--it does not have to be verified. It doesn't even have to be factual. But the moment it's posted, heaven only knows how many people are going to start quoting it as a legitimate source.

This is not to suggest that Jews haven't been very successful. But there's a perfectly valid explanation (IF you promise not to tell, I'll let you in on the secret, which as a member of the Jewish community, I have a little knowledge about: Judaism has always placed a lot of emphasis on education. Put a group of people like that in a nation where, let's face it, huge numbers of people simply don't care about education, and guess what's going to happen!)

Old 12-26-2008, 06:55 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
This is something that you could never talk about in real life....so why not try the internet

Look at this list of jewish american enterainers, it's just staggering. I don't think most people that watch tv are conscious of it.

List of Jewish American entertainers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They dominate comedy, tv, magic (David Copperfield and Harry Houdini, the two biggest names ever), the media.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that many shows on tv are 3/4 or 80% jewish. Larry King and his panel for instance. Or Dan Abrams interviewing Gloria Allred and somebody else.

List of Jews in sports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Out of the 4 big sports, I think 3 out of the 4 commissioners are jewish.

Most of my favorite sports announcers are jewish.

Then in business, wall street, that's a whole different subject.

Jewish american designers..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...hion_designers

Basically everyone...Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Ralph Lauren.

I think it's incredible, and something to be applauded for. But why all the secrecy?

If its asians succeeding in something, thats ok. If it's latin american baseball players, thats ok. The success of black athletes is no secret.

But for some strange reason, mention jewish success and everyone runs for the hills.

I understand the stories about persecution, the history of anti-semitism, "old stereotypes", but so what? Women have had it bad. Minorities have had it bad. My ancestors probably had it bad.

Do you think it will ever change? Will it always be taboo to talk about? Why is it held to a different standard than when talking about women or minorities?

no pun intended but one can understand the tone when president________ was in a conversation about jews running things and not american christians,,,

Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
IF you promise not to tell, I'll let you in on the secret, which as a member of the Jewish community, I have a little knowledge about: Judaism has always placed a lot of emphasis on education. Put a group of people like that in a nation where, let's face it, huge numbers of people simply don't care about education, and guess what's going to happen!)
And this is new information? We know this. Again, there are many Gentiles that are just as educated. What you also don't acknowledge is that there is a Jewish conduit for employment and connections that a WASP can't tap. How many WASPs are going to make it in NY's Garment District, even if they wanted to?

And the ignorance / indifference about education you refer to, well, that applies to the redneck couple in their mobile home somewhere in Appalachia listening to some televangelist blaring in the background and jotting down his/her 800 number to foolishly give money. Remember, there is a large swath of highly-educated Gentiles living in exurbia and whose religious affiliation is just that -- a religious affiliation and not an economic one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies