Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

Advertisements

"The White House is collecting and storing comments and videos placed on its social-networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube without notifying or asking the consent of the site users..."

Okay, the confusing word to me here is "its." Can anyone here explain that? Aren't they a User just like anyone else on these particular sites?

"The proposal issued Aug. 21 calls for a contractor to "crawl and archive" social-networking Web sites where the White House maintains an official presence on seven networks: Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo and Slideshare. The collection will include the comments, tags, graphics, audio and video posted by users who don't work for the White House."

How do you feel about that? And if you are an Obama supporter, how would you feel about it if a Republican President did the same thing? I understand they have to do it on the White House website.

For the record, I don't post comments or video on any of those sites so I'm not personally impacted.

Here's the story link:

EXCLUSIVE: W.H. collects Web users' data without notice - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Are you naive enough to believe there's a reasonable expectation of privacy when someone posts to a public site?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,689,263 times
exactly.

absolutely anyone could archive public posts from any facebook or myspace in existence.

this is like complaining that you put a flyer on a telephone pole and someone took a photo of it.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 AM

507 posts, read 679,133 times
I think the "its" is simply referring to their WH pages on these sites. You are right, the WH is just another user. This was probably just poor word choice.

I also agree with the other posters. When anyone uses these sites, it is kind of understood that you are giving up part of your privacy. For instance when you sign up to use a Facebook application, the site usually explains the the application owner now has access to all of your personal information. The same goes for friends, unless you use the privacy settings, your information is available to your friends and people in your network. Anyone can store that info if they wish.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,908,655 times
Are they going to archive the 3 page story I wrote about my childhood diarrhea ? Well, kiddies, whatever you do....make it interesting. Let 'em watch ! Ya. bore them to death. Just imagine : Gomer is sitting in front of a bluescreen taking down notes, on YOU ! hahahahahah. Some life, eh ?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,380 times
Hmmm ..

I think that Google would pose more of a threat than anything else these days with regard to collected personal information.

When the day comes that the Government begins to log every keystroke you make, and scans your hard drive for information through the use of a toolbar, or other P2P application, like Google does, then I'll worry.

Until then, I'll just accept the Government for what it is ... a highly manipulative, disfunctional, waste of my tax dollar.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The White House is collecting and storing comments and videos placed on its social-networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube without notifying or asking the consent of the site users..."

Okay, the confusing word to me here is "its." Can anyone here explain that? Aren't they a User just like anyone else on these particular sites?

"The proposal issued Aug. 21 calls for a contractor to "crawl and archive" social-networking Web sites where the White House maintains an official presence on seven networks: Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo and Slideshare. The collection will include the comments, tags, graphics, audio and video posted by users who don't work for the White House."

How do you feel about that? And if you are an Obama supporter, how would you feel about it if a Republican President did the same thing? I understand they have to do it on the White House website.

For the record, I don't post comments or video on any of those sites so I'm not personally impacted.

Here's the story link:

EXCLUSIVE: W.H. collects Web users' data without notice - Washington Times
I think The Washington Times surely meant to say "its presences on". Just an unfortunate editorial error, no doubt

Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM

20,351 posts, read 19,965,366 times
As long as it's not the Bush/Cheney/Halliburton/Fox News/Zioinist cabal collecting the information on citizens there's nothing to worry about.

Move along, mind your own business and report those who don't climb aboard the Hope 'n Change Express.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
As long as it's not the Bush/Cheney/Halliburton/Fox News/Zioinist cabal collecting the information on citizens there's nothing to worry about.

Move along, mind your own business and report those who don't climb aboard the Hope 'n Change Express.
Typical -- this is the same sort of non-thinking that brought about that Million Moron March.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,412,329 times
I dont like Obama. He gets out of bed every morning and tries to create an America I cant relate to.

That being said, this is a non-starter and you can thank Richard Nixon for it.

After Watergate, the congress passed laws that require the Whitehouse keep every shred of documents generated.

fast farward to the internet age and all the sudden you have a requirement that very key stroke on every computer, ever email on ever server, every post on a facebook page set up by the White house, ever Tweet sent to or from the WH, is BY LAW a part of the public record.

Obama may be going about this in greater detail than GWB did. I doubt that. but It is the law.

Now if someone can show where the Obama admin is tracking information that was never sent to the Whitehouse but just exists in the internet, then you have a valid argument.

but if we are talking about keeping records sent to or posted on WH owned pages, then it is not only legal but it is required by law. Not doing so would violated the laws related to storage and distruction of public information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies