Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
"Last time I checked, the Constitution says we have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." -President Bill Clinton

Too bad that is is the Declaration of Independence.
Too bad the quote was:
"Our founders said it best: America is about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
From a ficticious Oklahoma student, "Wasn't the first president named George something? Maybe Windsor or Bush or somethin'."

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
What do you expect ???

Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM

25 posts, read 34,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
That's a disgrace.

I wonder what percentage of Oklahoma high schools students can name the starting QB for the Oklahoma Sooners? I bet that percentage is much, much higher.....
Yes, Landry Jones is a household word presently, but just until the 2008 Heisman winner returns.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:34 AM

So who was last?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu41 View Post
The Department of Education-Another Great Liberal Idea. Glad they know how to spend our tax dollars. Watering down the education system as a means to promote ideology. Where have I read that before?
Watering down? If the Republicans had their way there would be know education at all, none worth squat. The GOP likes it that way, keeps their constituents in the dark.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM

Yes, and I've read that some greedy parents are permitting their 16-yr-old athletes to leave school and turn professional so the kid gets a head start rather than wasting years of productive time in half-assed colleges when they, the parents, could be enjoying the money.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Watering down? If the Republicans had their way there would be know education at all, none worth squat. The GOP likes it that way, keeps their constituents in the dark.
KNOW education at all? Where did you get your degree, pal?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I hope you are joking?

Let me remind you, all states have to raise revenues somehow. Alaska is no exception to the rule. What makes Alaska an exception is Oil, they have a lot of it, and very few people living in the state. By being a resident of Alaska its kind of like you own a large amount of stock in Exxon. When Oil prices are high, dividends will be high, last years oil prices were exceptionally high.

The problem is, what would happen if Alaska didn't have oil? What if we no longer needed the oil? People vote with their wallets, if they see a $2100 check come in the mail they are going to be happy, the more money the better right? We can sell the whole damn state to loggers and oilmen as long as my check is fatter!

I could be wrong, but selling off the state to the highest bidder just for money doesn't make you a great leader, or a great citizen of a state. Can you imagine what our world would look like if we just sold out to everyone who offered us money? There would be loggers in our national parks, strip-miners taking down our ski slopes, and when you looked out into the ocean, all you would see is oil drilling platforms. But as long as I'm getting a check every year, I'm happy?
What do you have against loggers? Look around. They bring the wood we need to build lots of things and they don't have to show off degrees or teleprompters every time they talk. Some of my best friends are loggers.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 AM

125 posts, read 213,042 times
Maybe I am old-fashioned,( and I see nothing wrong with that) but what happened to the 3 R's,( Reading, writting and arithmatic??)
We have become a scocity that is so afraid of not being politically correct that in my opinion we have lost the idea of what education should be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies