Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
When Secretary of Energy Steven Chu thinks of the American people, he apparently sees a bunch of unruly teenagers who need to be told how to act.
Asked at a seminar on reconstructing America's electrical grid about the Obama administration's efforts to persuade people to conserve energy, Chu said “the American public…just like your teenage kids, aren’t acting in a way that they should act. The American public has to really understand in their core how important this issue is,” according to The Wall Street Journal.

Obama energy secretary to Americans: Stop acting like teenagers! | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Obama-energy-czar-to-you-Stop-acting-like-teenagers-60057097.html - broken link)
When you're a politician, it's a career you chose and you get voted into office by the public....the people you serve....the people are whom you chose to work for.....they're your boss. When you're selected for a public position, it's not the same thing....you view the person that selected you as your boss and not the public you're actually working for. Even if you felt that part of the problem is the attitude the public has concerning a particular public issue, part of the policy you create might correct that problem but, you would never announce that policy by insulting the public....your boss....and likening them to a bunch of teenagers. You might talk about waste and educating people about conserving but, you'd refer to them and think of them as people, not a buch of irresponsible teenagers......you would just never do that because, you have respect for them....they hired you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It's right in the article. I think I included that particular paragrah in my post.

We didn't pick smart kids to test in Europe and dumb kids in the United States. The American students attend an above-average school in New Jersey, and New Jersey's kids have test scores that are above average for America.
Here is a possible reason for some of our troubles with this kind of tests. I got this from http:History News Network

Ravitch is appalled by low test scores and concerned that because students lack a detailed knowledge of the American past, they will be susceptible to demagogues who would question the unfolding of the American dream. Unfortunately, many of our disadvantaged youth lack the educational resources and qualified teachers which would allow them to achieve the high standardized test scores so valued by Ravitch. On the other hand, they may have a first hand knowledge of the role played by race, gender, and class in the American experience which no standardized assessment may ever be able to measure.

I have looked at too many American History texts being used these days that do the social thing, race, gender, and class much more than the actual history of the nation. Blame that on who you might but I can assure you that the publishers are supplying what the teachers and their organizations demand. Kick the NEA out of government by getting rid of the Department of Education, which was begun under that old racemonger, Jimmah Cahtuh.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Here's the link, and from the Huffing and Puffing left wing side, no doubt, so you can't accuse me of getting it from Fox news.

Obama Cranks Up White House Thermostat: "You Could Grow Orchids In There"
Thanks for the link. Now, where does it say in the article, or the articles it links to, that it's set to 80?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Americans DO act like a bunch of teenagers.

Anybody who "doesn't agree" that the country needs to go "green" asap is ignorant. Who "doesn't agree" that future generations deserve a healthy planet? Only people who hate liberals more than they love their children.
Boy is that fun. I have just been called ignorant because I don't go along with all that green crap. Thank you for that.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
nobody champions destroying the planet... The debate is over who's going to control it.
But the left leaners can't see that that will be the UN. Obama will weaken us enough that that may happen while he is in his first term.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Anybody who "doesn't agree" that the country needs to go "green" asap is ignorant. Who "doesn't agree" that future generations deserve a healthy planet? Only people who hate liberals more than they love their children.
Actually many of us out quite concerned about the future of our children but that involves many things. For example the unmitigated pollution coming from China and India would top the list. This country already has some of the strictest environmental regulations in the world but all that regulation is really irrelevant on the global stage if you have 2 countries with about 2 billion people that are not adhering to the same rules. At the rate they are going now any CO2 reductions we make would quickly be overcome by increases from them. In the mean time my kids and grand kids become impoverished third world citizens as the economies of China and India boom.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Actually many of us out quite concerned about the future of our children but that involves many things. For example the unmitigated pollution coming from China and India would top the list. This country already has some of the strictest environmental regulations in the world but all that regulation is really irrelevant on the global stage if you have 2 countries with about 2 billion people that are not adhering to the same rules. At the rate they are going now any CO2 reductions we make would quickly be overcome by increases from them. In the mean time my kids and grand kids become impoverished third world citizens as the economies of China and India boom.
It might interest you to know that a significant portion of "the unmitigated pollution coming from China" is the result of shipping our garbage and cast-off electronics to them, as well as outsourcing American business to China. China has been selected, by most large multinational manufacturers, as the cheapest place for manufacturing (topping its favorability list is the low labor cost and the lax environmental regulations). China's position, therefore, as the world's greatest polluter is, in large part, our fault. You might want to read Jared Diamond's "Collapse." Good chapter on China. Whole books is very good, actually.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Boy is that fun. I have just been called ignorant because I don't go along with all that green crap. Thank you for that.
what specifically is green crap?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
It might interest you to know that a significant portion of "the unmitigated pollution coming from China" is the result of shipping our garbage and cast-off electronics to them, as well as outsourcing American business to China. China has been selected, by most large multinational manufacturers, as the cheapest place for manufacturing (topping its favorability list is the low labor cost and the lax environmental regulations). China's position, therefore, as the world's greatest polluter is, in large part, our fault. You might want to read Jared Diamond's "Collapse." Good chapter on China. Whole books is very good, actually.
Oh darn!! Here come the blame the US for everything people swinging with all their might.

How do you get this idea? We haven't forced them to do all that. They do it to make money, but we didn't hold a gun to their collective heads. It gets old listening to you people blaming the US for everything like this.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
what specifically is green crap?
I think you know so I won't bother to try to define green crap to you. If you think that crap and tax won't break most of us shortly as our money is taken by taxes after we were promised we wouldn't have to pay more, you must be one of those Obamas that think green is just a color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies