Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
On the contrary a Federal Court just defended Fox News First Amendment Right to lie to it's audience.

Fox News gets okay to misinform public, court ruling | Media Reform | CeaseSPIN.org
Let me play the old double standard prog game here. Did you not notice the name of the group that you took that report from? Strike the messenger is what I just did but then . . . . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm surprised by how many people don't even bother to look into the facts.
I really think that you have been talking to a wall when you keep on about the CBO. Most progs don't see them as anything since they manage to disagree with the Dems so often. Propaganda is propaganda and is used by everybody but when they refuse to look at what you tell them other than to squeal propaganda if it doesn't agree with them they tell me that they aren't looking at all.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Let me play the old double standard prog game here. Did you not notice the name of the group that you took that report from? Strike the messenger is what I just did but then . . . . . . . .
Why do you keep doing that? The easiest way to end a game is stop playing...if you keep hitting the ball every time it's whacked in your court then all you're doing is keeping it going.

If you want to talk about the article then you should talk just about the article and ignore the outside comments that don't add anything to the conversation.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,454,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Gene, the latest thing I have seen from the Obamas is that over $600 billion will be cut from Medicare in the next 10 years. Is there any chance that this would include any of what Human said? Since the campaign promises were about not cutting Medicare and then we see a number like that I am a bit concerned about my last few years of life. They did take out the part about life ending stories so I guess that won't be part of the $600 billion. Whoopee.
My understanding - and I'm not very close to being eligible for Medicare, so perhaps I haven't paid enough attention to this - is that cuts to Medicare funding do not necessarily have to mean cuts to Medicare benefits.

From an article referenced earlier in this discussion:

Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_seniors - broken link)
The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Douglas Elmendorf, told senators that seniors in Medicare's managed care plans could see reduced benefits under a bill in the Finance Committee.
The bill would cut payments to the Medicare Advantage plans by more than $100 billion over 10 years.
Also,
Elmendorf said the changes "would reduce the extra benefits that would be made available to beneficiaries through Medicare Advantage plans."
Finance Committee aides emphasized that core Medicare benefits wouldn't be cut because the plans are required to offer the benefits available under traditional Medicare fee-for-service coverage.
And finally,
"Health insurance reform will strengthen Medicare for seniors, not diminish it," said White House spokesman Reid Cherlin. "Even under the competitive bidding proposal in the legislation, Medicare Advantage plans will still be paid more than traditional Medicare plans. Yes, they'll need to compete, and they'll need to be more efficient, but they'll still have more money to work with than traditional Medicare."
I think there's a danger for all of us, no matter which "side" we're on, in looking at one provision or one group of provisions in draft legislation without looking at the whole thing - we may see the cuts but not where additional benefits may make up for the cuts.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
My understanding - and I'm not very close to being eligible for Medicare, so perhaps I haven't paid enough attention to this - is that cuts to Medicare funding do not necessarily have to mean cuts to Medicare benefits.

From an article referenced earlier in this discussion:

Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_seniors - broken link)
The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Douglas Elmendorf, told senators that seniors in Medicare's managed care plans could see reduced benefits under a bill in the Finance Committee.
The bill would cut payments to the Medicare Advantage plans by more than $100 billion over 10 years.
Also,
Elmendorf said the changes "would reduce the extra benefits that would be made available to beneficiaries through Medicare Advantage plans."
Finance Committee aides emphasized that core Medicare benefits wouldn't be cut because the plans are required to offer the benefits available under traditional Medicare fee-for-service coverage.
And finally,
"Health insurance reform will strengthen Medicare for seniors, not diminish it," said White House spokesman Reid Cherlin. "Even under the competitive bidding proposal in the legislation, Medicare Advantage plans will still be paid more than traditional Medicare plans. Yes, they'll need to compete, and they'll need to be more efficient, but they'll still have more money to work with than traditional Medicare."
I think there's a danger for all of us, no matter which "side" we're on, in looking at one provision or one group of provisions in draft legislation without looking at the whole thing - we may see the cuts but not where additional benefits may make up for the cuts.
I agree. Every gain means a loss in some area so the whole picture has to be taken into consideration when determining which is greater. I've been trying to read as much as possible on the UHC plan and the literature from its opponents but I'll that round about legal terms are not my forte. I read one article (and I’ll have to go through my history to see if I can find it) and the only conclusion I came to at the end of it was that they didn’t want to have to be competitive.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,920,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm surprised by how many people don't even bother to look into the facts.
So, you're saying President Obama did throw out the First Amendment Free Speech clause?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 PM

89,124 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
What additional benefits? I'm really interested in hearing what those additional benefits for seniors would be because the head of the CBO doesn't mention any additional benefits; he just says that benefits will be reduced.

"The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Douglas Elmendorf, told senators Tuesday that seniors in Medicare's managed care plans would see reduced benefits under a bill in the Finance Committee."
The Associated Press: Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs

That would include Senator Baucus, who doesn't want seniors in the Medicare Advantage programs to know that their benefits will be reduced.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM

757 posts, read 803,763 times
The right is becoming more paranoid everyday. No President can not suspend free speech. Only the Congress can do that. Where was all the outrage about free speech when W said "you're either with us or against us" or if you speak out against W's policies you were "aiding the enemy". These same people today will not accept a black man being President. They do not believe he deserves that much respect. Bunch of racists.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,909,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Read the story, Obama didn't do anything. Baucus said it was unaceptable to mislead seniors. The rest of the story has no substance at all.
um ... if it is so unacceptable to mislead seniors, why is Baucus investigating an insurance company (i.e. Medicare Advantage) for telling the truth? The HBO (House Budget Office) is telling us the very same thing ... why isn't the HBO under investigation?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM

89,124 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
um ... if it is so unacceptable to mislead seniors, why is Baucus investigating an insurance company (i.e. Medicare Advantage) for telling the truth? The HBO (House Budget Office) is telling us the very same thing ... why isn't the HBO under investigation?
Ummm... doesn't that mean that Baucus also has to order an investigation of himself for misleading seniors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies