Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

I am not one of the con nutcases that says "we should get out of the UN and get the UN out of the USA"- although I actually do think that the UN should have been located in a neutral country like Switzerland.
But the UN is a podium for slimeballs. I hate it when liberal democracies have to go there and try to get murderous dictators to "go along" with us. They give our President, who was elected by the American people, 90 minutes at the podium while they give a murderous thug nutcase like Momar Khadaffi 3 hours to rant and rave. It is just absolutely sickening.
I think that we should stay in the UN for the little bit of good it does do. But I also strongly think that the world's liberal secular democracies should form a separate group of democracies.
And, yes, I know that the idea for this orginated from John Bolton and John McCain who are Republicans BUT even a dead clock is right twice a day! We need an organization of democracies to promote and protect the interest of free democratic nations without having to have people like Khadaffi and China try and undermine democracies. To me, our form of government is worth protecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:45 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Not sure any of the Democracies wanted to join us!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:06 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,699 times
We live in a constitutional republic.

Not a democracy.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am not one of the con nutcases that says "we should get out of the UN and get the UN out of the USA"- although I actually do think that the UN should have been located in a neutral country like Switzerland.
But the UN is a podium for slimeballs. I hate it when liberal democracies have to go there and try to get murderous dictators to "go along" with us. They give our President, who was elected by the American people, 90 minutes at the podium while they give a murderous thug nutcase like Momar Khadaffi 3 hours to rant and rave. It is just absolutely sickening.
I think that we should stay in the UN for the little bit of good it does do. But I also strongly think that the world's liberal secular democracies should form a separate group of democracies.
And, yes, I know that the idea for this orginated from John Bolton and John McCain who are Republicans BUT even a dead clock is right twice a day! We need an organization of democracies to promote and protect the interest of free democratic nations without having to have people like Khadaffi and China try and undermine democracies. To me, our form of government is worth protecting.
KevK, I'm a little confused because you speak of having a leagues of Democracies in relationship to the UN, but dont support our nation, a country formed upon similar ideas, where each state would have their own Representative Republic, with very limited national control.

You do everything you can to support national power in Washington, but when someone talks about the simple fact that states have rights, seperate from the federal control, you act like you dont even know what they are talking about. Why would you support world wide Democracy league while opposing state rights inside our country?

Old 09-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
KevK, I'm a little confused because you speak of having a leagues of Democracies in relationship to the UN, but dont support our nation, a country formed upon similar ideas, where each state would have their own Representative Republic, with very limited national control.

You do everything you can to support national power in Washington, but when someone talks about the simple fact that states have rights, seperate from the federal control, you act like you dont even know what they are talking about. Why would you support world wide Democracy, while opposing state rights inside our country?
States do not have rights. And states should not have rights. People have rights. We are not a collection of 50 state nations. We should have a single strong national government with uniformity of most laws across all the nation. The rest should be left to local and county governments. I actually do not have much use for state governments because most of the functions they do should be done either federally or by county-city level governments. For example, why should state government meddle in such crap as bar closing times and who can sell beer? It seems to me that such things should be decided on the local level. On the other hand, things like Medicaid should be handled on the federal level.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
States do not have rights. And states should not have rights. People have rights. We are not a collection of 50 state nations. We should have a single strong national government with uniformity of most laws across all the nation. The rest should be left to local and county governments. I actually do not have much use for state governments because most of the functions they do should be done either federally or by county-city level governments. For example, why should state government meddle in such crap as bar closing times and who can sell beer? It seems to me that such things should be decided on the local level. On the other hand, things like Medicaid should be handled on the federal level.
Ahh, and here we go, where liberals go really really wrong. States dont have rights?

Article IV, Section 4, says states indeed have rights
The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

A guarantee which was firmed up with the 10th amendment

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Yep, even states are entitled to rights under the Constitution, now, do you care to retry again?

Old 09-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh, and here we go, where liberals go really really wrong. States dont have rights?

Article IV, Section 4, says states indeed have rights
The United States shall to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

A guarantee which was firmed up with the 10th amendment
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
That does not say states have "rights". It says that the Federal government will guarantee a represenative government (as opposed to one appointed by the Federal) and will not allow the state to be "invaded"- I assume by a foreign power.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Well, a lot of democracies of the world do not have balls

Old 09-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
That does not say states have "rights". It says that the Federal government will guarantee a represenative government (as opposed to one appointed by the Federal) and will not allow the state to be "invaded"- I assume by a foreign power.
Guarantee a state representative government for what purpose? If it was as you say, the federal government mandating laws across the country, there would be no reason for 50 individual states with 50 individual laws. Did you expect that the founders thought that the states should sit back and play tidly winks? p.s. the answer is in the 10th amendment, powers to do EVERYTHING that was not listed in the constitution resided with each individual state.

And no, the statement about to be "invaded" was state protections from each other. The federal government guarantees the nation isnt invaded by other countries, and each state is entitled to security from one another.

Last edited by pghquest; 09-27-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies