Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 AM

253 posts, read 1,740,652 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to be complaining about various things the government is involved in and spends large amounts of money on. Where does the money come from? From you and me, right? So why are you paying taxes, ensuring the funding of goings-on you don't support?

I stopped paying Federal Tax when the war started in 2003. I don't support it, I'm not going to pay into it. I also don't support the social security system, giving free money to obese uneducated women to keep pumping out kids, not to mention contributing to a program that when I am 65, will have nothing to offer me. It's also absurd that I would have to pump out multiple children while working at Walmart just to receive/afford basic health care. You either have to be extremely poor or extremely wealthy to get health care in this country - no in between. If I had a health catastrophe tomorrow it would put me into bankruptcy (or I would just die), as I earn too much to qualify for welfare, but not enough to afford private insurance or hospital fees. Compared to the average person in the US, I am roughly in between the poverty line and the average per capita income. I live simply so I can accept and embrace a lower than average salary.

I do pay taxes to my local government for things that directly affect me and my community, in the present time. If I'm ever audited, I just won't respond. I figure if it comes to the point where I am physically apprehended by the government for this civil disobedience, the laugh will be on them (and you, the taxpayers) to pay for my prison cell, food, and medical care. Put me in prison and by default I'll become a leech of the system for years to come. Not too many felons can find decent employment, housing, etc.

I always thought it would be amazing if a large sector of the population banded together, picked a date, and changed their tax status to "exempt" simultaneously. Strength in numbers. If people could actually choose to support and be involved in their own community, it would be so much different and better. The US as a whole is not a community. It's too big.

Of course, most people are mindless sheep and just do as they're told, or else.

Doesn't anyone else have principles anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 02:06 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
I barter to avoid the income tax.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:03 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
I stopped paying Federal Tax when the war started in 2003. I don't support it, I'm not going to pay into it.
I hope you also gave up driving on the federal highway system, flying on airplanes protected by the federal air controllers, eating food inspected by federal inspectors, taking medicine approved by the FDA, using national parks, depositing money at any bank that is federally insured, and a thousand other things that the federal government provides every day.

If not, you are stealing from me.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 AM

283 posts, read 1,384,442 times
Actually the federal tax income is illegal. So it is ok that he doesn't pay because 67million other people don't as well. And why would you? The majority of the money is spent on pork.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:27 AM

76 posts, read 209,290 times
"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration." U.S. Constitution - 16th Amendment.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States..." US Constitution - Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post

I do pay taxes to my local government for things that directly affect me and my community, in the present time. If I'm ever audited, I just won't respond. I figure if it comes to the point where I am physically apprehended by the government for this civil disobedience, the laugh will be on them (and you, the taxpayers) to pay for my prison cell, food, and medical care. Put me in prison and by default I'll become a leech of the system for years to come.
Well, you can cheat Uncle Sam and your fellow citizen--for awhile--by not paying your taxes, but if you end up in stir and have a thuggish cellmate you might not be able to "just say no" to him.
Quote:
I always thought it would be amazing if a large sector of the population banded together, picked a date, and changed their tax status to "exempt" simultaneously. Strength in numbers. If people could actually choose to support and be involved in their own community, it would be so much different and better. The US as a whole is not a community. It's too big.

Of course, most people are mindless sheep and just do as they're told, or else.

Doesn't anyone else have principles anymore?
On one hand, you talk about principles and that people should be banding together for the common good, on the other hand, you complain about sheeple and gloat about how we the taxpayers would be paying for your upkeep.
I appreciate your feelings about the federal government and fiscal responsibility, but am confused about your attitude concerning community involvement.
It's not like I don't think civil disobedience ever has a place, but I can't quite understand your version of it.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
I always do whatever it takes to keep my money.
Just becuase an authoritarian agency says its OK to
take huge amouts of my money that doesnt make it
right. When they let the public set thier pay scales
Ill stop doing what I need to do to keep my money.
There is no such thing as 'cheating' when doing what
you need to do to keep what is yours. If a thief breaks
into your house and steals your piggy bank should you
be penalized for chasing him down the street and taking
it back ?

Old 06-17-2007, 07:48 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrumples View Post
"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration." U.S. Constitution - 16th Amendment.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States..." US Constitution - Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1.
Where's the section on the legality of forced participation in Social Security???

Old 06-17-2007, 08:14 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
Where's the section on the legality of forced participation in Social Security???
Social Security Online Liz

Old 06-17-2007, 08:39 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Ah, okay.... Guess I just disagree with the ruling. Looks like I'm not the only one who ever has in our history either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies