Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times

Advertisements

I hear from many all the time that we should have required finance courses all the time from people that don't know how to live within their means.

Should we also include required:

Pscyhology 101
Corporate and Banking Marketing Propaganda Courses
Political Science and Propanda 101

Add to the list as you wish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I hear from many all the time that we should have required finance courses all the time from people that don't know how to live within their means.

Pscyhology 101

Okay, basic math so that people can balance their check books and Algebra so they can understand what interest rates on their credit cards are really doing to them.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:

Pscyhology 101

Those that need these financial courses the most are members of Congress, particularly the brain-dead Democrats.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Those that need these financial courses the most are members of Congress, particularly the brain-dead Democrats.
Yes, though I do not want a bunch of ex big bankers.
I rather have CPAs and CFPs who had small or medium practices in their home districts.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:

Pscyhology 101

Education is useless without a desire to apply it.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

The problem is and always has been the individuals responsibility to themselves. The only way to "fix" such disregard is to let people suffer the consequences of such irresponsible action. Then they will be forced to attend to it, but by their own hand, not that of another.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Education is useless without a desire to apply it.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

The problem is and always has been the individuals responsibility to themselves. The only way to "fix" such disregard is to let people suffer the consequences of such irresponsible action. Then they will be forced to attend to it, but by their own hand, not that of another.
that may be true...but you have to first lead the horse to water.

You cant sit back at the ranch house and say...that ol nag ain't gonna drink if I take her to the water hole...

Quote:
The only way to "fix" such disregard is to let people suffer the consequences of such irresponsible action
How would this theory work with other situations???

Would you hand someone the keys to a car with no instruction? "Suffer the consquences" has impact on others.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

You cant sit back at the ranch house and say...that ol nag ain't gonna drink if I take her to the water hole...

Would you hand someone the keys to a car with no instruction? "Suffer the consquences" has impact on others.
Some very good reading in this thread:

First day mentoring an inner city minority: America you've failed big time

People have been brought to the watering hole, but refuse to learn.....

Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:

Except you are missing the point. You can't force people to your will, people will choose what they want as they want and when they want. There is no point in forcing. You can provide opportunity, even promote such, but at the end of the day, they will have to choose for themselves. Anything else, is trying to treat someone like they are a horse, and I don't advise such as horse has a tendency to kick and bite.

Quote:

The topic was teaching people financial responsibility, not operating a vehicle on the road with others. A foolish person with their money is not a danger to others, in fact... someone who is foolish with their money often ends up benefitting others (ie pays too much because they didn't educate themselves on what they were buying, makes a bad investment because they didn't research it, signs a loan that they can't afford because they didn't budget properly, etc...). While bad for the fool, most of those ventures benefits the person the fool does business with.

The day and age of "but they didn't know" are gone. We have everything at our fingertips on the internet. We can learn anything we want on just about any topic we want. We can see other peoples mistakes, poor decisions and learn from them as they account them to us. We truly are out of the age of forced ignorance (limited doors to seeking information) and now are in an age of chosen ignorance (ie, if you don't know, then you didn't bother finding out).

What I mean about people suffering the consequences is them making a poor decision and being required to remedy it themselves. This includes, individuals, businesses, etc... Where there is a loss, there is always opportunity of gain for another. This is the risk of life, it demands responsibility and dedication. Those who do not attend to such end up constantly trying to recover from the consequences. This often results in people slowing down in their poor choices, considering the consequences before they act. When you feel the burn from the flame each time you stick your hand in it, you tend avoid sticking your hand in repeatedly.

That is nature, that is life. When you rob people of the consequence of their choices, they never learn and continue to make poor ones.

Last edited by Nomander; 06-27-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,861,226 times
GREAT idea! I would also like to add Basic Logic & Critical Thinking 101 (although they may make your last two courses redundant).

Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Some very good reading in this thread:

First day mentoring an inner city minority: America you've failed big time

People have been brought to the watering hole, but refuse to learn.....
Your giving me ancedotal counts as reasoning??? come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies