Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times

Advertisements

No brakes this time?

'The price of gold struck an all-time high Tuesday as the dollar fell on a news report of a plan by Gulf states to stop using the greenback for oil trading.

Gold hit 1,045.00 dollars per ounce on the New York Mercantile Exchange in late trades.'

Price of gold soars on report of Arab states ditching dollar | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2009/10/price-of-gold-soars-on-report-of-arab-states-ditching-dollar/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Won't happen, they all have to much to lose if the dollar keeps falling.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 PM

89 posts, read 143,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Won't happen, they all have to much to lose if the dollar keeps falling.
Not if they switch to a different currency ( Euro etc.). I think it will happen. They pumped too much money into the economy. The inflation will skyrocket like crazy and the Dollar will continue losing value. Anybody who can do the math will try drop the Dollar. Can we blame them? I don't think so. We dug our own grave.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
lalalalalalala...I can't hear you, I can't hear you. They all need dollars of they all fail. Rah rah rah, U-S-A, U-S-A!!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

YouTube - U.S. to Trade Gold Reserves for Cash through Cash4Gold.com

Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
No brakes this time?

'The price of gold struck an all-time high Tuesday as the dollar fell on a news report of a plan by Gulf states to stop using the greenback for oil trading.

Gold hit 1,045.00 dollars per ounce on the New York Mercantile Exchange in late trades.'

Price of gold soars on report of Arab states ditching dollar | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2009/10/price-of-gold-soars-on-report-of-arab-states-ditching-dollar/ - broken link)

This is just a lot of noise and little substance. For the gulf states to make a switch from the US Dollar, there first needs to be a suitable substitute reserve currency that could replace the dollar as the worlds number one reserve currency. Currently nothing exist and the Euro will most likely collaspe, because it is hurting the European Union more than helping.

Fact of the matter is until a suitable substitute emerges to replace the dollar this is all just hot air.

Gold will continue to rise as a hedge against inflation and the falling value of the dollar. Oil Prices will also continue to rise, so the Gulf States certainly have nothing to worry about. The demand for energy from emerging economies is much to great and the Gulf States in my opinion do not have as much powers as they did 10 years ago. There are tons of countries both North and South of the good ole USA that have plenty of oil reserves.

Dollar Falls

Oil Price Rise

Gold Rises

and the opposite if the dollar goes up in value

In general any of the individuals working in exporting industries should be applauding a weak dollar as the theory is it will increase the number of exports and reduce trading imbalances. The only problem going forward is the crowding out effect of government borrowing to fund defecit spending on the private sector for loanable funds and the increase in the money supply, that could lead to inflationary pressure etc.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times

This may be the best plan that they've come up with yet !

Old 11-11-2009, 04:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
China and France have both publicly warned us to stop printing money.
We've ignored them.
Congress is on a spending spree and totally oblivious to the crumbling US economy all around them.

If I were a foreign power I'd be scrambling to get rid of my US Treasury holdings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies