Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
But what types of public employment are welfare and which aren't? What about positions that we currently consider to be necessary, such as police, firemen, garbage collectors, teachers, the millitary, etc.?

I guess you could say they constitute some sort of "welfare" (although it isn't exactly something for nothing) if the jobs are created for the sake of creating jobs, but, especially in poorer areas where crappy infrastructure and understaffed public services are a problem, couldn't this be an arrangement that benefits all parties, rather than a mere wealth redistribution effort?
Well , you may be stunned to know or "maybe not" that I dont think any of those jobs, except for the military need to be done, by any government municipality! Especially teachers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,461 times
Why not privatize the military, too? Couldn't the private sector do a better job?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Why not privatize the military, too? Couldn't the private sector do a better job?
Yeah , I can see it now, you got the libs that want to take away our guns, how do you think they will react when I want to put a missile silo in my backyard, you know right next to where I park my A-10!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Apparently they're already doing a pretty sizable portion of that job.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070514/scahill

Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,461 times
Quote:
Apparently they're already doing a pretty sizable portion of that job.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070514/scahill
Ya, I have a real problem with those contractors, over there. They effectively represent the US, yet they're not sworn to protect the American people, and all that entails. They are there to make money for themselves (and their boss). It's a definite conflict of interest.

Quote:
After a trip to Iraq last month, Retired Gen. Barry McCaffrey observed bluntly, "We are overly dependent on civilian contractors. In extreme danger--they will not fight."
Quote:
More significantly, there is absolutely no effective system of oversight or accountability governing contractors and their operations, nor is there any effective law--military or civilian--being applied to their activities. They have not been subjected to military courts martial (despite a recent Congressional attempt to place them under the Uniform Code of Military Justice), nor have they been prosecuted in US civilian courts--and, no matter what their acts in Iraq, they cannot be prosecuted in Iraqi courts.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah , I can see it now, you got the libs that want to take away our guns, how do you think they will react when I want to put a missile silo in my backyard, you know right next to where I park my A-10!
Shed your belief in the government funding the millitary and become a full-blown anarchist, I say! Anarchists are way cooler than Milton Friedman Libertarians, and even crazier. If you want privatized police services then you're already at least halfway there (although I have no idea how you would make sure they enforced the laws that they created, rather than whatever laws they decided to make...)

Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Shed your belief in the government funding the millitary and become a full-blown anarchist, I say! Anarchists are way cooler than Milton Friedman Libertarians, and even crazier. If you want privatized police services then you're already at least halfway there (although I have no idea how you would make sure they enforced the laws that they created, rather than whatever laws they decided to make...)
Sorry, I am a very law and order guy, although in our state, I would be for drastically cutting fuding for the state police and giving to county sheriffs who actually stop crime! If it was up to me those scumbag anarchists that were rioting here during the wto, would still be in jail!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:23 PM

So you do support government paying for police in some sense... to continue, are you totally against government providing (or even subsidizing) education?

Old 05-07-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
So you do support government paying for police in some sense... to continue, are you totally against government providing (or even subsidizing) education?
Yes I can support government funded law enforcement though I am not oppposed to looking at privatizing it. I am absolutely against government funding education! Having said that I am a realist and know at this point getting the government out of the education business is not likeley, I support giving every child a set amount per year that will follow the child to the school of choice, public ,private, christian, catholic, agnostic.... ! Of course we also need to get the unions out of the education business!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yes I can support government funded law enforcement though I am not oppposed to looking at privatizing it. I am absolutely against government funding education! Having said that I am a realist and know at this point getting the government out of the education business is not likeley, I support giving every child a set amount per year that will follow the child to the school of choice, public ,private, christian, catholic, agnostic.... ! Of course we also need to get the unions out of the education business!
So your preferred outcome would be to remove all government subsidy of education, completely? You realize that would mean shifting our economic system even further from meritocracy than it already is, when children in poor families are subjected to substandard schools, or no education at all, don't you? Talk about stacking the deck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies