Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times

Advertisements

NYPD tracking cell phone owners, but foes aren't sure practice is legal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
Aren't sure?

What, they never read the Consti- wait, what am I saying. Of course they haven't.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 AM

This stuff is getting out of hand it really is

Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
They need a judge to OK this kind of stuff. But I don't have a problem with it in general

Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
They need a judge to OK this kind of stuff. But I don't have a problem with it in general
New York Civil Liberties Union associate legal director Christopher Dunn said it appears the NYPD is "taking phones apart to get information" without warrants.

Did you even read it?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
The NYPD is amassing a database of cell phone users, instructing cops to log serial numbers from suspects' phones in hopes of connecting them to past or future crimes.
In the era of disposable, anonymous cell phones, the file could be a treasure-trove for detectives investigating drug rings and other criminal enterprises, police sources say.
"It's used to help build cases," one source said of the new initiative.
"It doesn't replace the human element, like debriefing prisoners, but it's another tool to use that we didn't have in the past."
A recent internal memo says that when cops make an arrest, they should remove the suspect's cell phone battery to avoid leakage - then jot down the International Mobile Equipment Identity number.
The IMEI number is registered with the service provider whenever a call is made.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/10/08/2009-10-08_number_please_nypd_tracking_cell_phone_owners_b ut_foes_arent_sure_practice_is_le.html#ixzz0TMnICQ Rt
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. John Doe is taken into custody. At the time he is taken into custody, the police confirm his ID, his address, contacts. Now in addition to that info, they are also taking John Doe's cell phone info. They are creating a database of cell phone data from suspected criminal's cell phones.

If John Doe phoned up his mom, his girlfriend, his buddy Joe Dirtbomb, the police (by virtue of having his cell info) will also know that. If Joe Dirtbomb happens to be in the business of buying copious amounts of beauty supplies but doesn't own a beauty business -- the police have a lead.

I have no problem with the police creating a database from the info found on suspected criminal's cell phones.

IF they wanted to collect that data from all of us non criminals, only then would I take issue with it.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. John Doe is taken into custody. At the time he is taken into custody, the police confirm his ID, his address, contacts. Now in addition to that info, they are also taking John Doe's cell phone info. They are creating a database of cell phone data from suspected criminal's cell phones.

If John Doe phoned up his mom, his girlfriend, his buddy Joe Dirtbomb, the police (by virtue of having his cell info) will also know that. If Joe Dirtbomb happens to be in the business of buying copious amounts of beauty supplies but doesn't own a beauty business -- the police have a lead.

I have no problem with the police creating a database from the info found on suspected criminal's cell phones.

IF they wanted to collect that data from all of us non criminals, only then would I take issue with it.
Lets say you are arrested as a "suspected criminal", you'd have no problem with them taking your cell phone info and tracking you?

This is pointless anyway, as criminals don't use traceable phones, they use the throwaway ones.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I am not certain this violates any laws. The police should gather as much information as possible. Cell phone numbers and contacts are just another part of the file. I figure if you are carrying identifying information like a driver's license the names and numbers are fair game. I think cell phones are just as open.

I was stopped for a bogus taillight offense the cops entered all my license information into his datad base. I figure I have an electronic file somewhere in the New Hampshire State Police data base with a "stopped for cause" lable on it. He did not ask for my cell phone. I might have asked for a warrent if I was willing to waste the time.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
New York Civil Liberties Union associate legal director Christopher Dunn said it appears the NYPD is "taking phones apart to get information" without warrants.

Did you even read it?
Considering that terrorists have already used cell phones to detonate explosives, is it terrible for the PD to remove batteries from cell phones to disable them, or as they indicated: "prevent leakage"?

It's a matter of semantics. I never considered popping off the battery cover on my phone disassembling it. When my son decided to perfrom exporatory surgery on his dead phone -- that would be disassembling, IMHO.

The NYCLU should be commended for wanting to protect the rights of the individual, no problem with that, but in this day and age we have to give serious consideration as to how technology can be turned against the masses.

A detail from the Madrid bombings:

"The 13th bomb...used a mobile phone (Mitsubishi Trium) as a timer, requiring a SIM card to activate the alarm and thereby detonate. The analysis of the SIM card allowed the police to arrest an alleged perpetrator. On Saturday, 13 March, when three Moroccans and two Pakistani muslims were arrested for the attacks, it was confirmed that the attacks came from an Islamic group."

A SIM card yielded the information necessary to arrest a suspect.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Lets say you are arrested as a "suspected criminal", you'd have no problem with them taking your cell phone info and tracking you?

This is pointless anyway, as criminals don't use traceable phones, they use the throwaway ones.
The 2nd paragraph of the article acknowledges the toss away phones:
Quote:
In the era of disposable, anonymous cell phones, the file could be a treasure-trove for detectives investigating drug rings and other criminal enterprises, police sources say.
From my reply to Jadex:
Quote:
The 13th bomb...used a mobile phone (Mitsubishi Trium) as a timer, requiring a SIM card to activate the alarm and thereby detonate. The analysis of the SIM card allowed the police to arrest an alleged perpetrator.
If I am brought in as a suspected criminal, they will be tracking me with or without a cell phone.

Knowing that criminals are using cell phones in manners for which they were not intended, I have no issue with the ID numbers being taken from the housing or SIM card.

Imagine what could have happened if the police in Spain didn't take the data from the SIM card on the 13th bomb? Would the suspects have gone on to more terrorist crimes or would they have retired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies