Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what was that in florida and new orleans in the last 10 years, a summer shower? have you tried driving in georgia of late? but yes i agree according to the best scientific minds in the last 3 seconds everything has been perfect, people are always overreacting.
have you tried looking at the data?

or do you just remember a bad storm and think the world just fell apart.

New for you huckleberry, I have family that lived thru Camile and they talk about it to this day. google when that happened.

check out the link I gave you with the data posted. 2005 was a peak. 2009 is at a 30 year low. (These are global figures as well as Atlantic Basin numbers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
have you tried looking at the data?

or do you just remember a bad storm and think the world just fell apart.

New for you huckleberry, I have family that lived thru Camile and they talk about it to this day. google when that happened.

check out the link I gave you with the data posted. 2005 was a peak. 2009 is at a 30 year low. (These are global figures as well as Atlantic Basin numbers.)
hurricane camille was in 1969. hurricane katrina was 2005.
your post shows a 24 month measurement mother nature works slower than that. but friend to be fair there are scientists in america that support 100% what you are saying, one is a personal friend of mine. also throughout the rest of the world there are scientists that support the opposite. its kind of like USDA, 1/2 the experts say eggs are bad for you the other half say they are good for you. strange stuff no?

Old 10-15-2009, 01:54 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hurricane camille was in 1969. hurricane katrina was 2005.
your post shows a 24 month measurement mother nature works slower than that. but friend to be fair there are scientists in america that support 100% what you are saying, one is a personal friend of mine. also throughout the rest of the world there are scientists that support the opposite. its kind of like USDA, 1/2 the experts say eggs are bad for you the other half say they are good for you. strange stuff no?

Friendly banter is a good thing! LOL! you are right, there are many who say exactly the opposite on the subject....

to clarify this is a 24 month rolling average. Actually the science is very interesting. here is the link if you are interested.

coaps.fsu.edu | Ryan Maue's Seasonal Tropical Cyclone Activity Update : PhD Candidate Meteorology

This is a running average from 1970 so it gives a good trend. 1970 was used as the starting point because that is about as far back as you can go and be certain the data is good.

more reading from Ryan Maue

http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/climo.php (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies