Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you bothered reading any of the articles, you'd find out that was, indeed the case. No one from "Corporate" needed to "fly in". She lived onsite. Her employer held her in a container under armed guard. She wasn't released until her local congressman got the State Department to intervene.

Victim: Gang-Rape Cover-Up by U.S., Halliburton/KBR - ABC News

Do you think that she shouldn't be allowed to take action against her employer for that??? Or is it covered under her "contract"? Would her boss be allowed to rape her without repercussion as well because it's covered until her "contract"?

Thank God the majority were smart enough to pass this Amendment. Companies with these disgusting clauses in their contracts won't be getting funds from us any longer.
I think there is a lot to that story that 1. we dont know, 2. many wouldnt understand.

-for one, a "container" is not what it sounds like, it is what everyone lives in over there. I lived in one when I was in the military.

-It is still hard to say what role her company had. I find the whole "her company kept her locked up" hard to believe. I think there needs to be criminal charges against any individual involved. Once the story is fully uncovered, the company could be held liable.

Justice is needed, I dont think going after the company should be number one. lets start with a criminal investigation and take it from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

Justice is needed, I dont think going after the company should be number one. lets start with a criminal investigation and take it from there.
You might want to click on a few of the links and read about the actual case instead of getting all your information from the various posts.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You might want to click on a few of the links and read about the actual case instead of getting all your information from the various posts.
I did read the article. I admit I only read one, after watching the Daily show story on it.

I will say, I KNOW that my idea is not the popular idea in this thread, or likely with anyone who has knowledge of the issue. It is tough to say anything remotely unfavorable to a rape victim. I understand that. It is deplorable what happened to that woman. I just think people are too quick to sue someone. I also think people are too quick to pass judgment on an issue without really thinking about all the facts. It is hard to get past the fact that a woman was raped to look at the big picture.

I didnt post on this topic to insight a riot with my unpopular comments, I was hoping to open your minds to the other side of the story by playing devils advocate. That is all I can do, now you have to let what I have said ferment and maybe you will open your minds to the other side of the story.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I did read the article. I admit I only read one, after watching the Daily show story on it.

I will say, I KNOW that my idea is not the popular idea in this thread, or likely with anyone who has knowledge of the issue. It is tough to say anything remotely unfavorable to a rape victim. I understand that. It is deplorable what happened to that woman. I just think people are too quick to sue someone. I also think people are too quick to pass judgment on an issue without really thinking about all the facts. It is hard to get past the fact that a woman was raped to look at the big picture.

I didnt post on this topic to insight a riot with my unpopular comments, I was hoping to open your minds to the other side of the story by playing devils advocate. That is all I can do, now you have to let what I have said ferment and maybe you will open your minds to the other side of the story.
I was referring to your comments about an investigation and going after the employer first.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I was referring to your comments about an investigation and going after the employer first.
I understand. Working for a defense contractor, It is easy for me to understand how far removed from any given situation anyone involved with the corporate side of the house is in ANY event that happens.

I am merely saying, this is the work of dirt bag individuals and NOT the company itself. I work on a site with thousands of contractors. not one of us is involved with corporate in any way. if something happened to me, regardless of how bad it was, corporate would have NO CLUE. Anything that was done would be the work of individuals without the companies knowledge.

It is hard to understand how defense contracts work with regards to echelons of decision making, insurance issues, deployment orders, etc work without really working in this sector.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I understand. Working for a defense contractor, It is easy for me to understand how far removed from any given situation anyone involved with the corporate side of the house is in ANY event that happens.

I am merely saying, this is the work of dirt bag individuals and NOT the company itself. I work on a site with thousands of contractors. not one of us is involved with corporate in any way. if something happened to me, regardless of how bad it was, corporate would have NO CLUE. Anything that was done would be the work of individuals without the companies knowledge.

It is hard to understand how defense contracts work with regards to echelons of decision making, insurance issues, deployment orders, etc work without really working in this sector.
If the company hires dirty bag individuals, they have to deal with the consequences. The company is required to run a safe worksite.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
If the company hires dirty bag individuals, they have to deal with the consequences. The company is required to run a safe worksite.
maybe i missed something in the one article i read. where the people that are guilty of this crime ex-cons? were they repeat offenders? if so, then yes, the company was wrong for hiring them. if not, then you have to understand the company doesnt have a crystal ball they can consult.

If these dirt bags were in fact known criminals that the company hired, then I AGREE that they were wrong for hiring them. that said, a criminal wouldnt stand a chance working for my company.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
maybe i missed something in the one article i read. where the people that are guilty of this crime ex-cons? were they repeat offenders? if so, then yes, the company was wrong for hiring them. if not, then you have to understand the company doesnt have a crystal ball they can consult.

If these dirt bags were in fact known criminals that the company hired, then I AGREE that they were wrong for hiring them. that said, a criminal wouldnt stand a chance working for my company.
We were discussing dirty bags, not criminals. You attitude appeared to be "Well, dirt bags are the ones who take these jobs, what do you expect?" I expect the company to run a safe work place and, if something happens, they work to protect the victims, not the dirt bags.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
We were discussing dirty bags, not criminals. You attitude appeared to be "Well, dirt bags are the ones who take these jobs, what do you expect?" I expect the company to run a safe work place and, if something happens, they work to protect the victims, not the dirt bags.
Whoa. Again, I AM A DEFENSE CONTRACTOR MYSELF, and FAR from a dirtbag. the company is going to hire qualified individuals if they aren't known dirtbags. If they have no criminal record, the company cant discriminate if they are qualified. if these guys have clean records, how could the company not hire them if they were not qualified and they needed to fill positions? what does a "dirt bag" look like? want to have a civil rights debate, lets talk about qualified individuals not getting jobs because of what they look like... see "American Civil Rights Movement".

I think the company was protecting itself first and foremost. which it should have done\

Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM

293 posts, read 570,654 times
Quote:

...but the thing is this... a lot of the time you will not find out about the dirty little secrets of these companies (what they knew or did not know) unless you can sue and have the power of the court system to enforce discovery requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies