Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Would the more "difficult method" have included no bonuses or a cut in pay?
Very possibly yes, several CEO's have cut their pay to $1 until the companies turn around, or have switched back to the previously accept pay methods for CEOs (stock options). It only moved from options to pay after the public thre a fit because some stocks skyrocketed leaving CEO's holding hundreds of millions (former CEO of Heinz for example)..

They also could have negotiaed new bond issuances, or stock offerings, or even declared reorganizational bankruptcy to get along until the economy turn around.

In fact, it can be argued that the government bailouts were more harmful than helpful, GM a prime example, by just prolonging the agony that bankruptcy was needed from day one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Everyone is replaceable, but if you think the founder of AIG can be replaced by some government manager and still have the same emotion and drive to keep the company going, you are only kidding yourself.
You're getting it, albeit slowly. Yes, they're replaceable. Who they are replaced with, why does it matter? They, as you said, ARE replaceable.

Quote:
As I claimed I was replaceable. Btw, they replaced me with someone who earned 2 1/2 times what I made, which counters your argument.
If true, this would add to my long list of foolish decisions management makes while running companies. It kinda reminds me of an issue I've dealt with as a project manager (with a large telecom company). Programmers in IT department have been found replaceable in India (and several times over since they cost about 20-25% of what they would here). To train them, the management initially sent those who would be replaced, to India. They would go, and train 15-20 programmers for a week or two, return and be gone.

Then something occurred to the management. They decided, it was better to bring couple of programmers from India, get them trained here, and then they go and train others. Not sure if you understand an underlying issue, but not only is it less efficient to train TWICE (the training period almost doubles), it is also more expensive to bring 2-3 people and pay for their expenses here than it is to send one person there and pay for expenses in Indian rupees. But hey, I don't have as much experience as those making the decisions... they are genius after all, aren't they?

Quote:
You really think the pays of a CEO affect the health of the nation? Really? Thats your defense? Tell me how paying a CEO $10M is unhealthy.
You were laid off, weren't you? How much were YOU making?

Quote:
When Obama bought into these companies, was that a part of the negotiations, or are they now retroactivly trying to change the terms of their equity buyout? I already know the answer, but maybe you need to answer it.
With no details, legal or otherwise at hand, I don't have the answer, and don't care either. If it bothers these guys you speak for, it is THERE problem to handle and challenge.

Quote:
It wasnt I that said college kids, maybe you need to review the thread again.
But you assumed they could be the only ones to replace. In fact, I believe some actually might be more qualified than those squeezing every drop of blood from the businesses they're supposed to manage.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And here goes the typical left wing abserd posting that does not contribute to the topic at all...
The word is spelled "absurd" and yes, my post nails the repubs and their attitude towards, and fear of, the WealthyOnes. That is why average Americans can be repeatedly raped by the Wealthy...they have so many loyal minions who support them out of sheer ignorance.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Top employees leave financial firms ahead of pay cuts

A lot of these creeps should probably leave those firms to serve jail sentences.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Look, people who think in their own mind they're conservative should realize that you're fighting a losing battle with this thread. Real conservatives and liberals actually stand together on this issue, albeit for different reasons perhaps. If you're going to pick on Obama, do so for more salient reasons like public option in health care and not simply for the sake of picking on him.

Why don't you define for us what a "real conservative" is? I've seen you provide plenty of rhetoric regarding who on this forum you think is a real conservative, but i've yet to see anything remotely related to the definition that you're using to make that determination. Enlighten us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies