Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:25 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. --Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

http://www.charlotte.com/118/story/120829.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 12:28 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,219 times
OMG! Is this for real? It can't be...that school should be sued and shut down and the people who are responsible for this, put in jail!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,176 times
Wow. What were they trying to do, simulate the emotional scarring of a hostage situation? What a bunch of morons.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:30 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,636 times
This was WAY out of bounds...obviously, this ass't principal does not value his job! The entire concept of training for an attack does makes sense, but parents needed to have input here on how to conduct the training. Doesn't look like that happened at all, from the article.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:43 PM

I would sue the school....like a hour ago here, seriously, I mean that!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:55 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
un frickin real....wrong to do on so many levels.

I am patriotic,I believe in the founding principles of this country,I like to believe they will prevail.But with so much going on,with so many issues from economic,immigration to loss of morals specially respect for life I just gotta wonder what the future of America will be.

To do this to kids,as a drill is unreal.If wackos are gonna go on a rampage,better to have teachers with concealed carrry instead of torturing kids in this manner...and how would hiding under a desk stop a crazy anyway?Wanna stop a wacko?,you need to put them down in their tracks.

Until life becomes precious and respected again,taking on a bad guy will be the only way to save lives.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 PM

529 posts, read 1,893,009 times
Those who have experienced such fear, may be less willing to impose that same fear on anyone else in the future.

Soldiers, who have experienced the fear of war in the field, often times are our greatest catalists for peace.

Though the method be somewhat unorthodox, I can see the point of instruction here.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
when a wacko enters a class room with a weapon there is nowhere to run.If you want to have a drill,have a drill on confronting the attacker,otherwise you are at the attackers mercy.

We are not dealing with a mugger or thief that "if you do what they want you won't get hurt" mentality.We are dealing with a mentality of "my life sucks,and Im going to spread as much misery like I feel before I end it also".

Old 05-14-2007, 01:20 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Though the method be somewhat unorthodox, I can see the point of instruction here.
Somewhat unorthodox? That is an understatement! It would be bad enough to do this with/to high school age kids, much less these young kids. Let me tell you, that there would have been hell to pay with the school authorities, had that been my children involved in such idiocy!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:03 AM

Yea...something is wrong here...majorly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies