Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,542,578 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Grandmother Accused Of Hate Crime After Complaining Of Gay Parade

This is where we are headed. Personally, all crime is hate crime. If I steal from you or kill you, I'm showing no regard for you. And we already have laws on the books for that.

Plus, we are devaluing the lives of others when we do this. Why should a person get a harsher sentence than the other simply based on what "type" of person they killed or assaulted??

So what is this really all about? It's about what you just saw in that video. Thought control. Freedom of religious expression. This was never about race. Race was just the stepping stone to the ultimate prize. It's really about homosexuality. Look at the Carrie Prejean incident in this country. Look at he little old lady in the video. They weren't even allowed to disagree with the lifestyle.

Somewhere along the way somebody equated "disagreement" to automatically mean "hate".

We are on a slippery slope.

Thoughts? While it's still legal to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Nope, if you ask me I believe that all crimes are motivated by hate.

I am opposed too all "hate crimes" legislation because they are only used to single out White people that commit crimes against minorities. If a White person uses a racial epithet in the act of committing a crime it is treated like the crime of the century and they get years and years added on to their sentence but yet if a minority uses a racial epithet in the act of committing a crime it's treated like it's no big deal.

If your going to add on time for White people for using n----r or s--c in a crime then you sure as hell better add on time for using words like gringo, h----y, cracker, white devil (yes I have heard minorities use this term), etc

Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Again, you guys are missing the point. It's not about saying that a crime against a minority or a homosexual is worse than a crime against a non-minority or homosexual. It's about protecting groups of people who are at higher risk than the general population due to their race or sexual orientation. Unfortunately, there is still a significant number of people who would persecute others for their race or sexual orientation. The Right-Wing is in denial as usual about the impact and existance of racism and discrimination in this country so it doesn't suprise me why they are opposed to Hate Crime Laws. They think it's a contrived conspiracy that gays and minorities are targeted by hate groups and don't require special laws to deter crime against them.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Do we need hate crime legislation? As long as we continue to have crime being committed where the victim is targeted specifically due to being a member of a certain group (race, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, and so on), and where the crime is motivated by hatred of that group, the answer is yes - we need hate crime legislation.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
1. This alleged incident in England has nothing to do with any hate crime legislation in the United States. For one thing, we have the First Amendment, and they don't. For another, this incident, assuming it happened as claimed, was exclusively related to the expression of opinion, while American hate crime legislation provides an enhanced penalty for crimes motivated by hatred or bias against an identified group.

2. Any claim that all crimes are hate crimes is ridiculous. Most property crimes are simply motivated by the desire for financial gain. Most drug crimes, including offenses like drunk driving, are motivated by drug dependence. Most crimes of violence are motivated by some short-term impulse and a lack of impulse control.

3. For as long as there has been criminal law the laws have taken into account the mental status of the offender. Someone who assaults another person because of bias against the person's race, sex, or sexual orientation is demonstrating that he is more dangerous than the general population because there is a greater than normal likelihood that he will act violently in the future when he is motivated by that hatred. In this way, hate crime enhancement is similar to an enhancement for a crime for hire--it demonstrates that the crime was not merely a momentary impulse, and is likely to reoccur.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,180 times
Or rich? Or conservative? Or religious? Or in business? Or any other unique aspect of a unique human being? Full circle.

Summation of all possible preferential law would equal no preferential law.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,542,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Again, you guys are missing the point. It's not about saying that a crime against a minority or a homosexual is worse than a crime against a non-minority or homosexual. It's about protecting groups of people who are at higher risk than the general population due to their race or sexual orientation. Unfortunately, there is still a significant number of people who would persecute others for their race or sexual orientation. The Right-Wing is in denial as usual about the impact and existance of racism and discrimination in this country so it doesn't suprise me why they are opposed to Hate Crime Laws. They think it's a contrived conspiracy that gays and minorities are targeted by hate groups and don't require special laws to deter crime against them.

Then what is it?? Because the punishments are certainly harsher!! That alone indicates a special status that the victim should not have!

Dead is dead. If you murdered me for my money or because I'm black makes no difference. I'm dead. And there is a law on the books now that works just fine!

And you guys seem to be in another type of denial. And denial to thinkl that this will not lead to anything but violations of speech and thought.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And you guys seem to be in another type of denial. And denial to thinkl that this will not lead to anything but violations of speech and thought.
I believe we've had hate crime laws on the books since the 1960s. Has anyone been charged with a thought crime since then?

This is all about being anti-gay - that's what it comes down to. Nevermind the fact that the term "sexual orientation" covers everybody, the anti-gay crowd just can't stop themselves from using this issue as a way to demonize people who aren't like them, namely, people who aren't 100% heterosexual.

The new law also protects people based on their gender. Why aren't the complainers saying anything about that? Gay-bashing is what they want to do - nothing else matters.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,398 times
Do we need hate crimes legislation?

Nope

Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
Whether we need hate crime legislation Obama made one kind of it law today when he signed the latest Military Budget bill. Yep, it was thrown in there and I am not against what that part of the bill says.

How about that 15 year old girl that all those clowns raped over and over for over 2 hours the other night? That had to be a form of hate for young girls or they wouldn't have done it, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies