Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Screw these silly wars eh? Maybe you can become a speechwriter for Obama.
Which wars have you fought in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I had a friend who had a very sick mother, he came down on orders for Vietnam, He said he would go AWOL rather than go. He had already gone AWOL once because of his mother. I volunteered to take his place and off I went. That is why I won't judge this guy. He has been there once.
still doesnt make it right. he was on R&R leave from Afghanistan. he should have gone back and finished his tour. when his time comes up, don't reenlist.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Exactly, the people who have actually served in combat would never have the gaul to call this solider a wussy. He is RETURNING from Afghanistan. It's one thing to disagree with his actions but I doubt real soldiers would insult this person knowing what they have seen. They would have empathy if anything.
The conditions in Afghanistan must be really awful to make this soldier shoot himself! Time to bring the troops home. Those wars over there are destroying our soldiers and bankrupting our country.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
still doesnt make it right. he was on R&R leave from Afghanistan. he should have gone back and finished his tour. when his time comes up, don't reenlist.
Well and good, I don't know. If he had never been there I'd call him a coward.
I'll let someone who has all of the facts sort this one out.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Well and good, I don't know. If he had never been there I'd call him a coward.
I'll let someone who has all of the facts sort this one out.
I guess that is the best thing to do.

as someone who has been to Iraq and just recently volunteered to go to Afghanistan as a civilian, I feel that I am in the right to pass judgement. which I did on this thread, hastily.

But it is not up to us, we are all merely stating opinions based on our own beliefs, and in some of our cases, experiences.

FYI, just because he has been there doesnt make him not a coward.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:45 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Whether this man is a coward or not, or even what kind of of a soldier he was, is not for any of us to say. That judgment is up to the people he served with. They were the ones who depended on him. If he did his job, and didn't let them down while he was there, even if they hated his guts as a person, I'm certain he won't be labeled a coward. How he did his job is up to them. You don't have to like the people you serve with, but they do have your back, and you have theirs. Personal beefs, and personality conflicts get left on your bunk when it's time to ruck out. This guy may very well have been a damn good hand, or not. He may have been an a$$hole, but if he covered his buddies in the s*** I'm sure that's all that mattered to them. They are the only ones that really have any thing to say that honestly matters. It's just as possible they may miss his presence as say good riddance. He threw whatever reputation he had away, but it was his to toss. In the end, whatever his reasons for doing what he did, he will be alive. Apparently that's what mattered the most to him.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,882 times
I can understand why he would want to remain stateside with his girlfriend irregardless of where he was being deployed to. It was pretty unimaginative to shoot himself though.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I guess that is the best thing to do.

as someone who has been to Iraq and just recently volunteered to go to Afghanistan as a civilian, I feel that I am in the right to pass judgement. which I did on this thread, hastily.

But it is not up to us, we are all merely stating opinions based on our own beliefs, and in some of our cases, experiences.

FYI, just because he has been there doesnt make him not a coward.
I tend to think it could be his situation here that is his problem, but again I don't want to judge

Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Since he'd already been there I say before filing charges against him, send him to a mental hospital first. He may have been traumatized to the point he felt this was the only way out. Get him some mental help and then kick him out the service. Have the VA provide him coverage for his mental anguish which may last him a life time.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,693 times
If he said that on here, he'd be accused of trolling and get an infraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiju View Post
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Police in Colorado Springs say a Fort Carson soldier set to return to Afghanistan intentionally shot himself in the shoulder to avoid deployment.
They say 26-year-old Robert Murchison and his girlfriend found a parking spot near Penrose-St. Francis main hospital on Wednesday night and then he shot himself in the car.
Murchison and 28-year-old Chasaity Peoples allegedly first told police that they had stopped to help a stranded motorist and that the driver shot him.
Sgt. Jim Meyers says officers were suspicious and continued to question them. He says Peoples finally confessed to what happened.
Murchison is expected to remain hospitalized for the next few days but is expected to recover. He and his girlfriend could be charged with false reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies