Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times

Advertisements

Zimmerman defense fund dwindling; Fla. may pay - CBS News

CBS/AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - The attorney for the former neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed Florida teenager Trayvon Martin said Monday that George Zimmerman is almost broke despite having raised more than $250,000 since last spring.

Mark O'Mara, who is defending Zimmerman against a second-degree murder charge in the fatal February shooting, said a lack of money in Zimmerman's legal defense fund is complicating the defense's desire to move the case ahead quickly.

"The money's not coming in all that strongly right now," O'Mara told reporters. "I think that as we move forward we're probably going to have to consider indigency for Mr. Zimmerman unless something else happens with more donations and whatnot and then it puts it on the state's shoulders to actually fund that defense."

Time for all CD Zimmy lovers to pony up some cash. Just like the televangelists say. Pull out your credit card and sow your financial seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
"Zimmy lovers?"
Does that include everyone who doesn't
think he's guilty of second degree murder?

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
"Zimmy lovers?"
Does that include everyone who doesn't
think he's guilty of second degree murder?
Those seem to be the people who are zealously verbally defending him. When he is declared indigent and the state is required to pay for his defense, well, that won't be good for all the NRA folks who have put so much effort into supporting this guy.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Apparently O'Mara is not as confident of the case being a slam dunk because of stand your ground laws as many posters here were/are.

"O'Mara also said Monday he believes that the facts that will be argued in the case fall more under traditional self-defense, not under Florida's "stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force — rather than retreat — if they believe their lives are in danger."

Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Apparently O'Mara is not as confident of the case being a slam dunk because of stand your ground laws as many posters here were/are.

"O'Mara also said Monday he believes that the facts that will be argued in the case fall more under traditional self-defense, not under Florida's "stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force — rather than retreat — if they believe their lives are in danger."

The stand your ground law has been overplayed by the media, like everything else in this case. Zimmerman could easily use a traditional self-defense claim in this case, as long as he isn't in a "die or go to jail" state like NJ.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
A little more:
Quote:
But O'Mara said Monday that after a closer look at the case, a more traditional self-defense argument likely makes more sense in this case because he says the evidence suggests Zimmerman didn't have the option of retreating from the beating he was receiving from Martin.
George Zimmerman: Attorneys will use self-defense argument, rather than "stand your ground" statute, in pretrial hearing.

So......I'm thinking that a "more traditional" defense is going to drag this out for a very long time.

I'm thinking that some of the Zimmerman supporters here who have proudly proclaimed their undying (I assume that means "financial") support had best be digging deep into their pockets because it looks like this is going to be one big financial black hole.

A question, though - if Florida ends up having to foot the bill, does Mara stay on it or does Zimmerman get someone assigned to him from a "pool," of sorts? It has always been my understanding that if you can't pay for your own attorney, you don't get to choose the best (and most expensive) and expect the state to pay for it.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The stand your ground law has been overplayed by the media, like everything else in this case. Zimmerman could easily use a traditional self-defense claim in this case, as long as he isn't in a "die or go to jail" state like NJ.
By the "media"? LOL I guess you haven't read the posts on CD regarding Zimmerman and how outrageous it is that he was even charged because this was CLEARLY a stand your ground case, as well as all the posts accusing the prosecutor of playing politics by charging Zimmerman because CLEARLY this is a stand your ground case and Zimmerman NEVER should have been charged!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
A question, though - if Florida ends up having to foot the bill, does Mara stay on it or does Zimmerman get someone assigned to him from a "pool," of sorts? It has always been my understanding that if you can't pay for your own attorney, you don't get to choose the best (and most expensive) and expect the state to pay for it.
I could be wrong but I think Florida would pay a standard rate. FF might know on this one. I am thinking Mara will stay on at the standard rate the state pays for lawyers for the indigent just for the publicity. He will make his money back later.

From the link:

Quote:
University of Miami law professor Tamara Lave said O'Mara's shift may signal that he thinks his case for self-defense is solid even without the special provisions afforded by "stand your ground."

"'Stand your ground' makes it easier to prevail under self-defense theory than the law that existed beforehand," Lave said. "I think what he's saying is, his case is so strong that he doesn't need 'stand your ground.'"
I would not consider myself a "supporter" of Zimmerman, but I do not see how a guilty verdict can be obtained. I do believe it was political pressure, that rightfully or wrongfully, forced the state to arrest and charge Zimmerman.

Last edited by whogo; 08-14-2012 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 04:45 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I could be wrong but I think Florida would pay a standard rate. FF might know on this one. I am thinking Mara will stay on at the standard rate the state pays for lawyers for the indigent just for the publicity. He will make his money back later.
Thanks.

And you're probably right about Mara not really losing on the deal, with the potential for books and speaking fees in the future.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
A little more:

George Zimmerman: Attorneys will use self-defense argument, rather than "stand your ground" statute, in pretrial hearing.

So......I'm thinking that a "more traditional" defense is going to drag this out for a very long time.

I'm thinking that some of the Zimmerman supporters here who have proudly proclaimed their undying (I assume that means "financial") support had best be digging deep into their pockets because it looks like this is going to be one big financial black hole.

If Zimmerman is declared indigent and teh State then takes over payment for his defense, I think there are limits on how much money is spent. I believe the attorney would have to go to the judge and have a hearing in order to spend over the specified amounts for various aspects of the defense, such as fees for expert witnesses, deposition costs, investigator costs, etc. The defense would have to have very good reasons for hiring an expert which charges $10,000 for analysis, evaluation, testimony, for example, rather than one who charges $5,000.

I think O'Mara could continue on representing Zimmerman but he would have to agree to the same payment amount as any other attorney who would be in the "pool" of attorneys who sign up to take these kinds of cases in the event there is a conflict and the public defender's office cannot take it. In other words, it wouldn't be anything even CLOSE to O'Mara's normal attorney fees. I think the Court would prefer that O'Mara take the case simply because it would create a lot of delay if a new attorney had to take over the case and start from scratch. However, the amount of attorneys' fees would not be raised just for O'Mara I don't think. O'Mara would have to agree to work for SUBSTANTIALLY LESS MONEY and he would not have the luxury of hiring the best people out there to work on the case.

All of the above is why people say you get a better defense if you have the money to pay for it. Costs in a case like this can be very high if you have the money to pay for the very best investigators, experts, and attorneys to work it. State just cannot afford those kinds of fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies