Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times

Advertisements

Thomas Sowell is one of the most intelligent, perceptive writers I have ever read. His ability to get to the nub of the matter and express it plainly and straightforwardly, is without peer.

And here he does a better job of pointing out the overall affect of the Obama administration on this country, than any other author to date.

---------------------------------------

Thomas Sowell : Dismantling America - Townhall.com

Dismantling America

by Thomas Sowell
Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Just one year ago, would you have believed that an unelected government official, not even a Cabinet member confirmed by the Senate but simply one of the many "czars" appointed by the President, could arbitrarily cut the pay of executives in private businesses by 50 percent or 90 percent?

Did you think that another "czar" would be talking about restricting talk radio? That there would be plans afloat to subsidize newspapers-- that is, to create a situation where some newspapers' survival would depend on the government liking what they publish?

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Thomas Sowell is one of the most intelligent, perceptive writers I have ever read. His ability to get to the nub of the matter and express it plainly and straightforwardly, is without peer.

And here he does a better job of pointing out the overall affect of the Obama administration on this country, than any other author to date.

Dismantling America

by Thomas Sowell

Just one year ago, would you have believed that an unelected government official, not even a Cabinet member confirmed by the Senate but simply one of the many "czars" appointed by the President, could arbitrarily cut the pay of executives in private businesses by 50 percent or 90 percent?

Did you think that another "czar" would be talking about restricting talk radio? That there would be plans afloat to subsidize newspapers-- that is, to create a situation where some newspapers' survival would depend on the government liking what they publish?

"Private businesses" which the taxpayers "bailed out." Surely the action taken was not an independent decision of any "czar".......

Sowell has a very impressive resume and educational background, however, this piece written by him is just very general opinion.....an opinion with which I disagree. Certainly someone with the credentials Mr. Sowell has could at least try to substantiate his opinions with some specific facts..........but then that would be more than an opinion piece I guess.

So let me ask YOU: What does Sowell mean by "dismantling" America? Specifically what does that mean?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:

Dismantling America

by Thomas Sowell

The rich have tripled their wealth in the last decade, if they lost 50% of that they would still have more than they had ten years ago. Don't ask me to feel sorry for the parasites that produce nothing and walk off ith half of the economy.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
I'm sure the intelligent guy knows Czars can only make recommendations but have no power (Congress does). I'm also sure that the intelligent guy knows that plenty of people who read his rhetoric will believe anything he wants them to. Any intelligent guy knows that sheeple don't go fact checking. To quote Hitler:
"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach"
"I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few"

Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
"Private businesses" which the taxpayers "bailed out." Surely the action taken was not an independent decision of any "czar".......
You realize that obama is looking to dictate compensation at ALL financial institutions, don't you? NOT just the ones who received a bailout.

And still, he tries to say that he is not interested in taking over private industry - Auto, Banks, Health Care. The reality says something different.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm sure the intelligent guy knows Czars can only make recommendations but have no power (Congress does). I'm also sure that the intelligent guy knows that plenty of people who read his rhetoric will believe anything he wants them to. Any intelligent guy knows that sheeple don't go fact checking. To quote Hitler:
"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach"
"I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few"
Indeed.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You realize that obama is looking to dictate compensation at ALL financial institutions, don't you? NOT just the ones who received a bailout.

And still, he tries to say that he is not interested in taking over private industry - Auto, Banks, Health Care. The reality says something different.
No, I don't KNOW that Obama is "looking to dictate compensation at ALL financial institutions."

So, please provide us with specific information about your claim. Gotta a link to ANYTHING?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Thomas Sowell is one of the most intelligent, perceptive writers I have ever read.
And a partisan hack, but that's for another time.

Quote:
by Thomas Sowell

Anyone who understands the role of administrative law judges in the Federal system would readily realize how mendacious Sowell's comments are because throughout the Federal system there are administrative judges, regulators, and administrative enforcement officials who have neither been confirmed by the Senate nor stood for election, yet, make decisions regarding the upholding of the law, regulations and policies of the Federal Government, Kenneth Feinberg the Special Master for Compensation is one such person. As Special Master, Feinberg's Congressionally mandated job is to ensure that companies who sought and received aid under the Troubled Asset Relief Program adhered to TARP's Congressionally mandated executive-compensation guidelines. I would suggest that Sowell is fully aware of this but has chosen to omit that point so as to impress the ignorant and gullible.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
"Private businesses" which the taxpayers "bailed out."
An irrelevant point, of course. The Fed govt has no authority granted by the Constitution, to "bail out" any businesses, much less start dictating the pay of their employees.

As Sowell said, who would have imagined even a year ago, that we would be on course to doing both?

The founding fathers are turning over in their graves, at what we are doing to the country they worked so hard to found and the freedom they paid for with ther treasure and their blood.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

I realize that this step is one of the more positive actions taken by Obama to bring our financial system and culture back to earth from the stratosphere where it was lingering for the past decade. And, like in the case of the hoax balloon, anchor it well before it takes off with a light breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies