Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, see that's the thing about private insurance. You get to pick the coverage you want to have covered. Some may look closely at pregnancy and others like myself may be more interested in vision coverage.
Yes, this!

If you are buying your own insurance, most likely you will have to add a Maternity Rider to cover the cost of prenatal care and delivery.

Another thing that would keep costs of insurance lower would be to cover midwives for prenatal care and delivery. Having a lowrisk pregnancy cared for by a midwive and having an out of hospital birth costs on average 1/2 that of an OB and hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:08 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Actually, you CAN buy it exactly that way. The only thing I haven't been offered in recent months is coverage that would allow me to get the regular checkups that would detect some of the things I've been offered coverage against!

Oh, BTW, I probably could get such coverage, but it would take over half if not all of my monthly income to pay for it and, I'm sorry, but things like lights, gas, water and food take priority even over that.
It's a state-by-state thing. You happen to live in state, apparently, that has few state mandates on health insurers. That'll change if the feds nationalize health care. It will be one-size-fits-all.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You know what.. your argument is really tired.. who said I expect anything on a silver platter.

But it's just a tactic that you people use to divert from the actual arguments and anything REAL.

For one, the health care debate is not nor ever was about getting ANYTHING for free.. it's about EVERYONE being able to ACCESS health care.. and Pay into the same system that they have been shut out of based on their ability to pay.

Want to ***** about free healthcare.. then take on medicaid for christ sake.. complain about prisoners who do NOTHING for society getting FREE health care in prison.. BETTER than working class people who are honest, hard working, yet can't access it because they have been priced out.

THAT is the true gripe..

I NEVER expected anything for FREE.. NEVER.. and to keep saying I do is completely assinine!

As for pregancies nOT being covered.. it's bull****.. parents pay for insurance to c over MEDICAL procedures and conditions.. AND pregnancy IS a medical procedure and condition..

so get off your high horse or you might get a concussion when you're knocked off it
How much are you willing to pay so that everyone has access to healthcare?
Is this an open-ended commitment or are there limits on the increase in taxes and higher insurance premiums that you would be willing to pay? Before you sign on to universal health care don't you think you ought to be told how much this will cost you, your children and your grandchildren? By the way, while not everyone in this country has health insurance, everyone does have access to healthcare.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:32 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,873,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Is this an open-ended commitment or are there limits on the increase in taxes and higher insurance premiums that you would be willing to pay? Before you sign on to universal health care don't you think you ought to be told how much this will cost you, your children and your grandchildren? By the way, while not everyone in this country has health insurance, everyone does have access to healthcare.
I think you will find that countries with universal healthcare typicaly pay half of what the US does per head of population.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Quote:
The OP raises a good question. But his solution misses the mark. The real solution is to allow people to purchase just the insurance they need. If you're in your 60's it is unlikely that you will need pregnancy coverage. So why pay for it? Let the 60 year old buy the insurance that insures for the medical conditions he or she is likely to face. Were you aware that Congress just passed and Obama signed a law that mandates that all insurance policies cover mental health care and drug addiction treatment on par with coverage of physical health conditions? So BC/BS just announced a 27% increase in premiums for 2010. These are the mandates that make insurance increasingly more expensive. The libs complain about insurance exec greed. But in fact its the libs themselves that are pushing private insurance out of reach for most individuals and small business. Treat health insurance like car insurance and you'll see the rates tumble.
I wonder how many people in their 60s would actually be able to afford a policy that potentially covers ventilators, dialysis, round-the-clock nurses and the like.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:46 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,096,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
"baby hating left"?

I'm afraid you're a little confused there. It's the liberals who support prenatal health care, services for children and families, education, public recreation programs, family and medical leave, food and nutrition programs, and just about everything else that provides a benefit to children.

It is conservatives who oppose these things, and who argue for limitations on health care coverage.

It's also the liberals that support killing millions of babies through abortion. That kind of negates anything else they do in regards to babies and children.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's also the liberals that support killing millions of babies through abortion. That kind of negates anything else they do in regards to babies and children.
Well most would consider me a liberal and I do NOT support killing babies. I believe in the sanctity of all life....both before and after birth and I believe that, like the Samaritan in the parable, all people are my neighbors and I have a responsibility to love my neighbors and help them to the best of my ability....and that includes health care.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,096,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well most would consider me a liberal and I do NOT support killing babies. I believe in the sanctity of all life....both before and after birth and I believe that, like the Samaritan in the parable, all people are my neighbors and I have a responsibility to love my neighbors and help them to the best of my ability....and that includes health care.

If you are a Democrat it doesn't matter that you do not support killing babies, your vote helps them in that regard.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
I dont see what the problem is. As others have stated private ins. lets you choose the maternity rider. You are paying extra just like for vision and dental.

Just think what a gigantic money maker OBGYN is. If insurance stopped covering those procedures the medical field would take a huge hit.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,930 times
Quote:

I have always been an advocated for a universal health care system. Because NOT eveyrone has access to the care they need. THAT is a complete and utter LIE.

Life saving treatment, yes. But, ongoing treatment for a condition / disease no. Cancer treatments, drug stores do not take IOU's. You can't pick up your expensive pills and tell the pharmacist "sorry, I dno't have the cash now but I'll pay you later". It doesn't work that way. People are dying because their lack of access to a health care system.

I have educated myself about different systems like Canada, UK, French , German and Swiss. The one I feel is a fair compromise between the left and the right is the Swiss system. Why? Because while it is a universal system , it is not one that is government run.

Health care is NOT a luxury item, despite many trying to compare getting health care to buying a BMW or Mercedes. Whether a person is worthy of medical treatment should not be based on how much a person earns. While some jobs do not earn as much as others, it does not mean that the work being done isn't important in some way shape or form. The CEO of a company is not more important than the man that cleans the toilets in that building , despite what the CEO would like to think .

That being said, I believe that what you pay for health care should be based on what you are able to pay and that the cost of health or contribution of funds to health care per family should not exceed 20% of income.

Those that are well to do will never hit that 20% mark, but those that aren't well to do, but work may just reach that max. And perhaps the cost for thier family / themselves may exceed the 20% and in that case care should be subsidized. At least all (with the exception of the poverty level) would have skin in the game, so to speak. It's not free, but they are contributing what they are reasonabley able to contribute.

In the case of a person that would have premiums exceeding 20% of their income,they are not getting anything other than health care they all deserve, than you are. Just because they would get coverage with a subsidy isn't going to open up their ability to purchase "toys" or expensive cars etc. If you think about it , someone who's premium would reach athe 20% of their income is probably living on a shoe string budget to begin with. If you consider that 35% of your income is supposed to be set aside for your housing, the additional 20% leaves a family with only 50% of their monthly income for other things like electricity, food, clothing etc. Yes, that would include some sort of vehicle in order to get to work (unless they live in a place that has a very good public transportation system.. but lets face it, most places do not unless you live within a metropolis).

Health care is not a "priveldge".. because it's the difference between life and death.. certain other things AREN'T AND if they ARE (like Food) cost is not so prohibitive.. but with health care the cost is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies