Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the worst mass shooter?
Harris/Klebold 1 3.57%
Adam Lanza 13 46.43%
Seung-Hui Cho 2 7.14%
James Homles 1 3.57%
Jiverly Antares Wong 0 0%
Dylann Roof 2 7.14%
Dr. Hassan 7 25.00%
Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:20 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times

Advertisements

The US has had many spree shooters, but who was the worst? One could simply pick the person who killed the most people, but there are sometimes other factors involved. I have listed a brief description of each and possible other factors to consider based on the Wiki article below.

1. Harris/Klebold (Columbine Shooting - 1999): These two little monsters are credited with starting school shootings. They killed 13 of their classmates and injured 21. Aggravating factors: they planned to kill more but their bombs did not go off. Mitigating factors: age (both fairly young)

2. Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook - 2012): Lanza killed 27 people and injured 2. Aggravating factors: most of the victims were children. Mitigating factors: evidence of profound mental illness; some think this was a false flag.

3. Seung-Hui Cho (Virginia Tech - 2007): This nutter killed a near record of 32 people and injured 17. Aggravating factors: high number killed. Mitigating factors: evidence of severe mental illness.

4. James Homles (Movie Theater Killer - 2012): Holmes killed 12 and injured 62 during a midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises. Aggravating factors: Evidence of long pre-planning; tried to escape; killed a 6 year old. Mitigating factors: some evidence of mental illness but the jury found he was not criminally insane.

5. Jiverly Antares Wong (Binghamton Shootings - 2009): This guy apparently killed because he thought people made fun of his English skills. He killed 13 and injured 4. No real factors.

6. Dylann Roof (suspected) (SC Church Shooter 2015): A (alleged) racist nut who killed 9 people. Aggravating factors: killed in a church; spent an hour with victims before killing them; racially motivated. Mitigating factors: relatively young; became provoked by racist media and administrative decisiveness.

7. Dr. Hassan (Fort Hood 2009): Ridiculously described as "workplace violence" Hassan killed 13 including an unborn baby and injured 32. Aggravating factors: terrorist; muslim jihadist. No mitigating factors.

8. Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez (Chattanooga Shooter 2015): This new kid on the block killed at least 5 people, including a police officer and unarmed marines. Aggravating factors: mulsim jihadist/terrorist. Mitigating factors: none known (yet).

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers
Chattanooga shooting: Fifth service member dies - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post

6. Dylann Roof (suspected) (SC Church Shooter 2015): A (alleged) racist nut who killed 9 people. Aggravating factors: killed in a church; spent an hour with victims before killing them; racially motivated. Mitigating factors: relatively young; became provoked by racist media and administrative decisiveness.

7. Dr. Hassan (Fort Hood 2009): Ridiculously described as "workplace violence" Hassan killed 13 including an unborn baby and injured 32. Aggravating factors: terrorist; muslim jihadist. No mitigating factors.

8. Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez (Chattanooga Shooter 2015): This new kid on the block killed at least 5 people, including a police officer and unarmed marines. Aggravating factors: mulsim jihadist/terrorist. Mitigating factors: none known (yet).
My vote goes to these three.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
I don't understand the point of this thread.
The oldest event you include was in 1999. Is there some reason you're only looking at recent killings? And only at shooters? Why leave out Charles Whitman and Richard Speck?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Why would anyone want to glorify these idiots by calling more attention to them via a poll?

Something has been going terribly wrong in America for over twenty years now; part of it, I regret to point out, springs from the single greatest sociological change of our times -- the emancipation of women. Only the change from a hunting/gathering to an agrarian, and later, an industrial society, would have a greater impact on daily life. It can't be undone, nor should it be, but a change of this magnitude is going to create casualties on the periphery.

The change is constant, and very subtle, but it never stops. Most men learn to adjust, but for many the perceived loss of prestige and power is real, and for a severely-unhinged few, it can be downright deadly. As an old Southerner once said about obscenity, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

And so the resentment festers even before the carrier can fully understand it. Subtle messages are conveyed every day, mostly via the mass media, but also via the daily operations of a machinery of government configured to reinforce the doors which have been closed against the perceived loser; most of the resentment boils off, but in rare instances -- something snaps, with terrible consequences.

I can offer no answer. The American social fabric was woven by generations of people who, with the exception of slaves and their descendants, came here to escape the misuse of authority. That does not bode well for any attempt either to outlaw or control the private possession of weapons, or to identify and meddle with individual personalities in the name of "societal control".

The disease appears to be intensifying, and the only advice I can offer to the individual citizen is to keep his/her eyes open; this is not a problem to be turned over to a supposedly "benevolent" despot.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-18-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I don't understand the point of this thread.
The oldest event you include was in 1999. Is there some reason you're only looking at recent killings? And only at shooters? Why leave out Charles Whitman and Richard Speck?
Most people reading this are most familiar with the recent shooters. Plus, the poll only fits 8.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Most people reading this are most familiar with the recent shooters. Plus, the poll only fits 8.
Okay then. But it should be pointed out that there is a long, long history of murderous rampages in the U.S.
To take such a poll at all, and then to further limit to just 8 because there's a software limitation and because people have either short memories or no grasp of history, that seems tasteless and disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Why would anyone want to glorify these idiots by calling more attention to them via a poll?\
I agree. I regret that I can remember the names of the shooters but not the names of any of the victims, dating back to the 1950s and 1960s, when I first heard of such incidents.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
I actually think the DC snipers were worst, though not spree killers. They had people on edge for a long time. Spree killers are stupid.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I actually think the DC snipers were worst, though not spree killers. They had people on edge for a long time. Spree killers are stupid.
True, but I guess they would be considered more like serial killers.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
True, but I guess they would be considered more like serial killers.
<sarcasm> More importantly the Wiki article didn't include them nor did the poll allow a 9th entry. So neither they nor their victims qualify. </end sarcasm>

Old 07-18-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Why would anyone want to glorify these idiots by calling more attention to them via a poll?

Something has been going terribly wrong in America for over twenty years now; part of it, I regret to point out, springs from the single greatest sociological change of our times -- the emancipation of women. Only the change from a hunting/gathering to an agrarian, and later, an industrial society, would have a greater impact on daily life. It can't be undone, nor should it be, but a change of this magnitude is going to create casualties on the periphery.

The change is constant, and very subtle, but it never stops. Most men learn to adjust, but for many the perceived loss of prestige and power is real, and for a severely-unhinged few, it can be downright deadly. As an old Southerner once said about obscenity, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

And so the resentment festers even before the carrier can fully understand it. Subtle messages are conveyed every day, mostly via the mass media, but also via the daily operations of a machinery of government configured to reinforce the doors which have been closed against the perceived loser; most of the resentment boils off, but in rare instances -- something snaps, with terrible consequences.

I can offer no answer. The American social fabric was woven by generations of people who, with the exception of slaves and their descendants, came here to escape the misuse of authority. That does not bode well for any attempt either to outlaw or control the private possession of weapons, or to identify and meddle with individual personalities in the name of "societal control".

The disease appears to be intensifying, and the only advice I can offer to the individual citizen is to keep his/her eyes open; this is not a problem to be turned over to a supposedly "benevolent" despot.
So feminism causes mass shooting sprees... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies