Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Allow Muslims in US Army?
Yes 117 58.79%
No 72 36.18%
Unsure 10 5.03%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
????????????????

Sorry, but the miltary doesn't let the individual soldier decide which wars he will and which wars he won't fight in.

( and rightly so )
Which is exactly why we have disgruntled soldiers going postal when they identify with the enemy.

My post was not about the prevailing attitude. It was my opinion of what it should be. I wish you had understood that. If a soldier cannot in good conscience fight against the designated enemy, why do you want to force him into the front lines, rather than letting him opt out? What do you think would happen if the President called a war, and nobody came?

It';s always interesting when you post "I think people ought to be allowed to XYZ" and somebody replies "But that's against the law".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

When you are in the military - you know / should know to say one thing: "Yes Sir"
Start loading those Jews into the boxcars, soldier!

Last edited by jtur88; 11-13-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Which is exactly why we have disgruntled soldiers going postal when they identify with the enemy.

My post was not about the prevailing attitude. It was my opinion of what it should be. I wish you had understood that. If a soldier cannot in good conscience fight against the designated enemy, why do you want to force him into the front lines, rather than letting him opt out?

It';s always interesting when you post "I think people ought to be allowed to XYZ" and somebody replies "But that's against the law".

Start loading those Jews into the boxcars, soldier!

----"If a soldier cannot in good conscience cannot fight against the designated enemy "-------he should not have enlisted in a volunteer Army.

We no longer have a draft to make your statement closer to accurate.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----"If a soldier cannot in good conscience cannot fight against the designated enemy "-------he should not have enlisted in a volunteer Army.

We no longer have a draft to make your statement closer to accurate.
Major Hasan enlisted as a volunteer in the US Army in 1988, which was before the Muslims in general or the Iraqis in particular were designated as the enemy. When he enlisted, we were still in a cold war against the USSR, and Iraqi forces had not yet invaded Kuwait. If he could have predicted events in the Muslim world that accurately, he would have been a chief adviser in the Pentagon at the age of 18.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:34 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Should men whose ancestors were of German immigrants been exempted from the draft in WWII?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:23 PM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
Quote:
Major Hasan enlisted as a volunteer in the US Army in 1988, which was before the Muslims in general or the Iraqis in particular were designated as the enemy. When he enlisted, we were still in a cold war against the USSR, and Iraqi forces had not yet invaded Kuwait. If he could have predicted events in the Muslim world that accurately, he would have been a chief adviser in the Pentagon at the age of 18.
That totally misses the point. The point you quoted basicaly said - if you are unable to fight/kill due to belief then you should not be enlisting in an organization that is inherently designed to do that.

The point of Iraqi forces means nothing in your arguement since this is about belief not what war is or is not going on at the time.

As a favor to the rest please address the topic and add your point instead of a direct steer, thank you

Old 11-13-2009, 10:55 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Fine - They need to be removed from the armed forces (based on the rhetoric of the leaders).
If need be. Obviously some one over looked the fact that he had issues. He voiced them and no one listened.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
He should have retired if he felt like he was unable to fulfill his duties.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
how ... I can't even say.. that statement grinds me to no end. it's so.... yuppy, polotically correct, lame, typical american,..... I'm not sure. I just know BZZZZ WRONG ANSWER!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:21 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
I knew dumb reactionary threads like this would emerge after the Ft. Hood shootings. This is just another low IQ moment by individuals who choose not to think. What the radical right is deliberately ignoring is that there were several red flags regarding this individual before the shootings occurred. The military just didn't do anything about it. This wasn't a normal individual, Muslim or no Muslim, that just went nuts one day. He had several complaints filed against him by his own colleagues. He had a poor evaluation. He was transferred because of the poor job he did at Walter Reed. He had a reputation of preaching Islam in unrelated powepoints and trying to convert people. I'm sorry but 99% of Muslims in the military have not had the types of red flags he has had. Therefore to indict all Muslims and to say they shouldn't serve in the military is assinine.

There are over 3500 Muslim soldiers in the military who are serving. There are Muslims who have died in combat serving the United States. But of course, let's forget the memory of those individuals and judge all Muslims based on this shooter. Seriously, the stupidity on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Oh I don't know about that. We'd already had a few anti-American incidents carred out by Muslims by then, and in 1985's Back to The Future, "the Libyans" are the bad guys stealing the plutonium from Emmett Brown. And the World Trade Center was already receiving threats from Middle Eastern fundamentalist radicals. But I guess you are right, we still had the USSR and they were bigger and trumped all other Bad Guys.

Wonder who our Bad Guys will be in 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies