Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The number of US veterans who died in 2008 because they lacked health insurance was 14 times higher than the US military death toll in Afghanistan that year, according to a new study.

The analysis produced by two Harvard medical researchers estimates that 2,266 US military veterans under the age of 65 died in 2008 because they lacked health coverage and had reduced access to medical care.

That figure is more than 14 times higher than the 155 US troop deaths in Afghanistan in 2008, the study says.

Released as the United States commemorates fallen soldiers on Veterans Day, the study warns that even health care provided by the Veterans Health Administration (VA) leaves many veterans without coverage.

The analysis uses census data to isolate the number of US veterans who lack both private health coverage and care offered by the VA.

"That's a group that's about 1.5 million people," said David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Program who co-authored the study.

"The uninsured have about a 40 percent higher risk of dying each year than otherwise comparable insured individuals," Himmelstein told AFP.

To those who are against the public option or health care reform, who think "the govt has no business in my health care" or "I like mine the way it is and just don't wanna share!" -- WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION? Do you think it's okay that you get to live, and others get to die?
take away welfare from those 15 through 55 years olds especially those younger kids who are healthy enough to have babies then they are healthy enough to work. government waste more money then any privete company.why is ups and fedex making money and the u.s. post office is losing money.health care is a problem because of to much government control of the insurance companies.It is because of the government that our privete health ins.is so expensive.I dont think because I get to live other have to die.It is a fact of life those who get to live also get to die. do you think its ok that you get live in america and some get to live in africa,one of the poorest continent.should we bring every single person from africa to live in america just so we can share.share in the destruction of america! because that is what will happen. lets help as much as we can, but lets not sink the ship doing so because then we will not be able to help anybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
take away welfare from those 15 through 55 years olds especially those younger kids who are healthy enough to have babies then they are healthy enough to work. government waste more money then any privete company.why is ups and fedex making money and the u.s. post office is losing money.health care is a problem because of to much government control of the insurance companies.It is because of the government that our privete health ins.is so expensive.I dont think because I get to live other have to die.It is a fact of life those who get to live also get to die. do you think its ok that you get live in america and some get to live in africa,one of the poorest continent.should we bring every single person from africa to live in america just so we can share.share in the destruction of america! because that is what will happen. lets help as much as we can, but lets not sink the ship doing so because then we will not be able to help anybody
Some people shouldn't own a PC.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I help whenever I can afford to.
I purchase canned goods and non perishable items at wally world and dollar stores, and take these items to some homeless vets living in their vans/cars down by the rio grande near our state park.
Since I myself am a vet, and on a fixed income, I know what it is like to have to live in your own vehicle. This is why I help when I am able to.

One of my buddies, a korean war vet passed away 2 years ago after being brutally beaten by some young punks. They never found out who did it.

I think the healthcare bill needs to be passed, so vets and other people who fall through the cracks can get help.
most people who fall through the cracks,are on crack.no health care bill is going to bring them in,unless they are brought in by force

Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
This is simply not true, many people work in 'temp' jobs for years and insurance is either unavaiulable or available at astronomical rates to provide little more than a Band-Aid when needed.
So why do they work in temp jobs if insurance is important to them?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How is that, simply because some faceless people in government will be in control of health care?

Is there some unseen force preventing people from getting health care? There are no signs at my clinic banning people from entering.

Are you just trying to say that the costs of health care are too expensive? If so, one reason it is expensive, and there are many, but one reason is because we Americans demand all the bells and whistles, so our care providers buy the best and most advanced equipment available, while other countries do not. Even small clinics have access to a new MRI while other countries have very few of them, hence the long waiting lines.

We have Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP and all emergency rooms must treat all people who enter, regardless of their immediate ability to pay. you act as if none of these things are in existance. you also forget, or choose to ignore that Medicare, Medicaid are almost $50 trillion dollars in the red, and yet you want to applaud the federal government creating another futher sink hole. What makes you think this time it will be run any better? Is it just a blind faith in government?
What you are missing is that we already pay for those without healthcare insurance through higher costs. As for the level of care we have the most
now and we are not ranked as the best overall system, do the math. There was a very interesting Frontline program that covered this subject very well, it compared our system to that of several other countries, we did not look really good in the comparision, you should look it up and watch it, might open your eyes.
Casper

Old 11-15-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what you are talking about has nothing to do with the OP. Yes, people who work temps or work for companies that do not offer insurance are between a rock and a hard spot and few people do not want to see these people offered a fair and reasonable form of health insurance, but this does not affect vets or doesn't very often. The two are unrelated.

Nita
Wrong. While I agree that vets should be treated by the VA when the health issues are service related, the healthcare bill will cover all them (us, since I am one of them) and the issue of them getting the care they need will be resolved. Better than what we have now, every administration says we need to take care of our vets, this bill, unlike the previous lip service on VA reform, will include vets.
Casper

Old 11-15-2009, 06:50 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The number of US veterans who died in 2008 because they lacked health insurance was 14 times higher than the US military death toll in Afghanistan that year, according to a new study.

The analysis produced by two Harvard medical researchers estimates that 2,266 US military veterans under the age of 65 died in 2008 because they lacked health coverage and had reduced access to medical care.

That figure is more than 14 times higher than the 155 US troop deaths in Afghanistan in 2008, the study says.

Released as the United States commemorates fallen soldiers on Veterans Day, the study warns that even health care provided by the Veterans Health Administration (VA) leaves many veterans without coverage.

The analysis uses census data to isolate the number of US veterans who lack both private health coverage and care offered by the VA.

"That's a group that's about 1.5 million people," said David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Program who co-authored the study.

"The uninsured have about a 40 percent higher risk of dying each year than otherwise comparable insured individuals," Himmelstein told AFP.

To those who are against the public option or health care reform, who think "the govt has no business in my health care" or "I like mine the way it is and just don't wanna share!" -- WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION? Do you think it's okay that you get to live, and others get to die?

This is kind of twisted logic. Maybe we could work on helping out the 2,266 than turning everything upside down for 300 million Americans? Just a thought. It is also probably cheaper to help the 2,266 than hte trillion it will cost to socialize health care.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
AGAIN the thread is about VETERANS seeking care from the VETERANS ADMINISTRATION. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Health Care Reform Act. It has everything to do with a C Street Cultist Senator from Oklahoma blocking care for needy Veterans.
Thanks for informing me, I would have never guessed without your guidance. You fail, as some others do, to see that the healthcare bill will resolve the issue. The difference is I am looking at the whole picture, while you want to ignore it and just focus on one possible solution and ignore the big picture. President after President has said we need to take care of our vets, not one has doing anything meaningful to make it happen. I assume you saw the reports on VA hospitals while Presdient Bush was in office didn't you, all that happened was a bandaid was applied, the system is still a mess. Healthcare reform will change the plight of vets, being that they will have coverage, meaning they will get the care they deserve.
Casper

Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Wrong. While I agree that vets should be treated by the VA when the health issues are service related, the healthcare bill will cover all them (us, since I am one of them) and the issue of them getting the care they need will be resolved. Better than what we have now, every administration says we need to take care of our vets, this bill, unlike the previous lip service on VA reform, will include vets.
Casper
and I think you are missing what I am saying: of course there are exceptions to every rule and no laws are perfect, but in most cases vets do have access, one way of the other to medical care. Again, I say most, some choose not to take advantage of what they have. That isn't my problem or yours, it is theirs. Of course, coming from a total military family I am 100% in favor of benefits for vets...

Again, the issue the OP sites is over 2000 vets died last year because they had no insurance. No one can say, not you, me or the OP how many died because they had no insurance or access to medical care. Blanket statements like that are without merit..Are there some who did die because of the lack of medical care? Possible in fact probably. Are there some who choose not to even try to take care of themsleves? Of course, but there are many issues here, not just the lack of free insurance.

Nita

Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I think you are missing what I am saying: of course there are exceptions to every rule and no laws are perfect, but in most cases vets do have access, one way of the other to medical care. Again, I say most, some choose not to take advantage of what they have. That isn't my problem or yours, it is theirs. Of course, coming from a total military family I am 100% in favor of benefits for vets...

Again, the issue the OP sites is over 2000 vets died last year because they had no insurance. No one can say, not you, me or the OP how many died because they had no insurance or access to medical care. Blanket statements like that are without merit..Are there some who did die because of the lack of medical care? Possible in fact probably. Are there some who choose not to even try to take care of themsleves? Of course, but there are many issues here, not just the lack of free insurance.

Nita
No, actually you and I both agree on the major points, the United States of America needs to take care of thier vets. The system is unacceptable and has been so under EVERY President we have had in last several decades. what a telling track record, not good folks, not good at all. What I am pointing out is; that healthcare reformn will, at least if not the best method, take care of their healthcare needs. I would Love for this nation to act in an hoinerable manner, but at but at least the current bill will at least FINALLY take care of its vets, but then again ........... we shall see.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies