Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Once the bill passes, the illegals can buy insurance and can go anywhere to get what they need.
Hopefully they have some money to buy into the pool as I understand the government will let them buy but not subsidize them.
But if they don't, then what is happening now will happen AFTER this bill passes. Illegals are exempt from any fines/penalties/jail time.

This is happening all over the country though:
Dialysis care for poor, illegal immigrants costly for many area hospitals - News - ReviewJournal.com

This woman has been doing it for 17 years and has never seen a bill..cost about $500K
Nation & World | States find dialysis for illegal immigrants a costly dilemma | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM

346 posts, read 407,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Once the bill passes, the illegals can buy insurance and can go anywhere to get what they need.
Hopefully they have some money to buy into the pool as I understand the government will let them buy but not subsidize them.
But if they don't, then what is happening now will happen AFTER this bill passes. Illegals are exempt from any fines/penalties/jail time.

This is happening all over the country though:
Dialysis care for poor, illegal immigrants costly for many area hospitals - News - ReviewJournal.com

This woman has been doing it for 17 years and has never seen a bill..cost about $500K
Nation & World | States find dialysis for illegal immigrants a costly dilemma | Seattle Times Newspaper
I always wonder what the incentive is for illegals to become legal. Healthcare doesn't seem to be one. Maybe so you can get a fishin license and go trolling?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I always wonder what the incentive is for illegals to become legal. Healthcare doesn't seem to be one. Maybe so you can get a fishin license and go trolling?
Illegals actually have all the benefits and none of the tax/penalty hassles of being a citizen.

They are probably better off staying illegal than looking for amnesty.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM

346 posts, read 407,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Illegals actually have all the benefits and none of the tax/penalty hassles of being a citizen.

They are probably better off staying illegal than looking for amnesty.
Obama will probably pass some bill forcing them to become legal which they will cry and howl about and go home. LOL. That is how our backwards government seems to be working nowdays.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Waaaaaaaaaaaaa. Moderator cut: not necessary Sitting around in the old dialysis center arguing whether to watch the soap opera's in spanish or American. Yep I'm sure they work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/he...er=rss&emc=rss

Do you know what life is like on hemodialysis? Well you can't live more than a few weeks with out it the alternative to dialysis is DEATH. The only question is what will kill you. Poisoning by the body's toxins or you can die from the anemia or you'll love congestive heart failure. You got a choice. Now sitting around the old dialysis center. Try being hooked up to a machine by a 15 gauge catheter needles in both an artery and vein which are surgically modified to make them big enough. 15 gauge by the way is a horse needle. This machine pumps your blood out and processes it before pumping it back. It can suck every drop of your blood out of the body in less than 15 minutes. If the catheters accidentally comes out you spray a stream of blood that can go as far as 4-5 feet. It can be a real mess before the nurses can get to you and the nurses station is only a dozen feet away. The machines remove 3-4 kilograms of water from the patient and this is about a gallon of water. They don't try to take more off because the body respondes by dropping blood pressure until the heart can adjust by boosting this pressure. My pressure usually drops to 80/40 and do you know what you do when you drop the blood pressure from 140/90 to this level. Well you pass out and hopefully to start to rebound and come back. If you don't its a trip to a hospital ER and then to ICU. I don't drive to the center because I am on the verge of passing out about 1/3 of the time. Also these treatments are 3 times a week for 4 hours.
Nearly all US employers get rid of employers who have this record of medical absences and can you get insurance for this? Private insurers are not that stupid. Fortunately, my former employer put me on long term disability certified I was not unemployable and dialysis automatically qualifies you for SSDI and Medicare at any age provided you have worked long enough to be vested in SS. In my case the costs to Medicare are $85-90,000 per year and unilike some medical treatments there is no end. Think you can get a transplant the average wait is 5-8 years and every year at least 70,000 Americans run out of time. On dialysis the 5 year survival rate is abput 30%, 10 year less than 10%. I've been on it 2 years.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Doesn't Mexico have socialized medicine?
I think they're expected to pay in Mexico, according to their income, or what they can afford. Here it's entirely free to them.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Do you know what life is like on hemodialysis? Well you can't live more than a few weeks with out it the alternative to dialysis is DEATH. The only question is what will kill you. Poisoning by the body's toxins or you can die from the anemia or you'll love congestive heart failure. You got a choice. Now sitting around the old dialysis center. Try being hooked up to a machine by a 15 gauge catheter needles in both an artery and vein which are surgically modified to make them big enough. 15 gauge by the way is a horse needle. This machine pumps your blood out and processes it before pumping it back. It can suck every drop of your blood out of the body in less than 15 minutes. If the catheters accidentally comes out you spray a stream of blood that can go as far as 4-5 feet. It can be a real mess before the nurses can get to you and the nurses station is only a dozen feet away. The machines remove 3-4 kilograms of water from the patient and this is about a gallon of water. They don't try to take more off because the body respondes by dropping blood pressure until the heart can adjust by boosting this pressure. My pressure usually drops to 80/40 and do you know what you do when you drop the blood pressure from 140/90 to this level. Well you pass out and hopefully to start to rebound and come back. If you don't its a trip to a hospital ER and then to ICU. I don't drive to the center because I am on the verge of passing out about 1/3 of the time. Also these treatments are 3 times a week for 4 hours.
Nearly all US employers get rid of employers who have this record of medical absences and can you get insurance for this? Private insurers are not that stupid. Fortunately, my former employer put me on long term disability certified I was not unemployable and dialysis automatically qualifies you for SSDI and Medicare at any age provided you have worked long enough to be vested in SS. In my case the costs to Medicare are $85-90,000 per year and unilike some medical treatments there is no end. Think you can get a transplant the average wait is 5-8 years and every year at least 70,000 Americans run out of time. On dialysis the 5 year survival rate is abput 30%, 10 year less than 10%. I've been on it 2 years.

I'm sorry for your situation. I know it's a terrible way to live, but that still doesn't make it ok for illegal aliens to come to this country for the sole purpose of getting free dialysis. The time, effort, and money should be put into treating US citizens, and legal residents. How do you feel about illegal aliens being put on a transplant list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies