Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

"The rage out there is larger than Palin and defies partisan labeling. Her ever-present booster Continetti, writing in The Weekly Standard, suggested that she recast the century-old populist outrage of William Jennings Bryan by adopting the message 'You shall not crucify mankind upon the cross of Goldman Sachs.' If Obama can’t tamp down that rage across the political map, Palin will at the very least pave the way for a demagogue with less baggage to pick up her torch."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/op...UBjKdnx1Xm/ZIw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:38 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"The rage out there is larger than Palin and defies partisan labeling. Her ever-present booster Continetti, writing in The Weekly Standard, suggested that she recast the century-old populist outrage of William Jennings Bryan by adopting the message 'You shall not crucify mankind upon the cross of Goldman Sachs.' If Obama can’t tamp down that rage across the political map, Palin will at the very least pave the way for a demagogue with less baggage to pick up her torch."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/op...UBjKdnx1Xm/ZIw
It's cool that you posted this--I think it is a pretty smart analysis. BTW, I posted this myself several hours ago on my FB page. I only wish Rich would have gone farther in defining demagoguery. There is nothing good about this person for anyone, wherever they are on the political spectrum. She is harmful to the whole idea of honest argumentation, something we need now more than anything.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Shouldn't Rich be reviewing the latest revival of South Pacific?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Shouldn't Rich be reviewing the latest revival of South Pacific?
Not really. That is not quite the sort of thing he generally writes about. Last week he wrote about terrorism and the Ft. Hood shootings, for example. His columns, which I often agree with, appear every Sunday, and they are often about the zeitgeist of the week, which he defines as he sees fit. I think that is all to the good .

Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Not really. That is not quite the sort of thing he generally writes about. Last week he wrote about terrorism and the Ft. Hood shootings, for example. His columns, which I often agree with, appear every Sunday, and they are often about the zeitgeist of the week, which he defines as he sees fit. I think that is all to the good .
It is scary that the followers of Rich have no idea that he prepared for his role as a shaper of public opinion on policy issues as a broadway critic.

Frank Rich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2009, 10:20 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
And we should care what this liberal Sunday Arts & Leisure columnist thinks why?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
And we should care what this liberal Sunday Arts & Leisure columnist thinks why?
Why? Because it's about Palin, of course. Every left-leaning hack is coming out of the woodwork to chime in. She's back in the spotlight thanks to the book, so she's once again fair game. What better sport is there?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is scary that the followers of Rich have no idea that he prepared for his role as a shaper of public opinion on policy issues as a broadway critic.

Frank Rich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually, I did know that. I think you are changing the subject. The fact that Reagan started out his career as an actor is pretty much immaterial to his later status as a politician. I don't like him, but I won't be dishonest and say, "because he was an actor, he could never be a good politician." And I'm not a "follower" of Rich, rather merely a reader of his columns. I read them because I generally find them to be intelligent and well-written, even when I don't agree with them. I appreciate that he provides well thought out reasons for his claims, something that is both sorely lacking in public discourse and missing from many discussions on C-D. Just because someone was once a broadway critic does not mean that they do not have something to say about public discourse. We are all, after all, citizens, and thus we are all qualified to say something about the state of our imperfect union.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Who is heck is Frank Rich anyways?

Doesn't he do the Sunday comics or something?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Actually, I did know that. I think you are changing the subject. The fact that Reagan started out his career as an actor is pretty much immaterial to his later status as a politician. I don't like him, but I won't be dishonest and say, "because he was an actor, he could never be a good politician." And I'm not a "follower" of Rich, rather merely a reader of his columns. I read them because I generally find them to be intelligent and well-written, even when I don't agree with them. I appreciate that he provides well thought out reasons for his claims, something that is both sorely lacking in public discourse and missing from many discussions on C-D. Just because someone was once a broadway critic does not mean that they do not have something to say about public discourse. We are all, after all, citizens, and thus we are all qualified to say something about the state of our imperfect union.

Yes Reagan was an actor, president of a union and Governor before he became President. Frank Rich went from reviewing Cats to the op ed page.

I find Rich's opinions as simple liberal cheerleading, thoroughly predictable. Some one like Rich would have been unthinkable in the glory days of the Times, it is truly sad what has become of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies