Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Can't defend your words, I see.
Then why don't you do the same. You're no expert.
So stop claiming that you know who is and is not xian.

Atheism is easy to understand.
Anyone can understand it.
It's very simple: we have no belief in a god-thing.
Period.
You can (and do) try to attach other things to it, knowing it's bogus.
No need to be argumentative about it. Let's just agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 01:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Be happy to as long as you don't vocalize who is and is not xian.
Or what an atheist is other than one who has not belief in a god-thing.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Any religion can be warped but crazy people so even though I am a Christian I can see the beauty in other religions including Islam. Is my faith based in another religion? No my faith is in Christianity.

Being a Christian or any religion for that matter is done or should be by choice and once that choice is made you follow the laws of that religion. All religions have laws that need to be followed to save your soul. In Christianity is is believing in Jesus and that he is the son of God and died for our sins. There is nothing hypocritical or underhanded about it. It is pretty simple.
Actually they don't. Bahaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Unitarianism don't condemn souls for following other faiths since they believe it all ultimately leads to the same universal truth. Christians vary in their beliefs. Non-evangelical Christians don't share the same beliefs as Evangelicals regarding being "saved"

Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Ask Obama?

Old 11-29-2009, 05:16 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Read the full story at: Muslim academics and students are turning against Darwin's theory -Times Online

The Religious right are the Christian Al Queda/Taliban.
The Religious Right has its similarities to the Taliban in that they both believe some absurd s--t, but that is where it ends.

As bad as the Christian Right are, they do not support beheading homosexuals, stoning rape victims, banning kites, outlawing dogs, outlawing paper bags, and so on.

In other words, the Christian Right might be crazy and might believe in garbage, but they are friendly puppy dogs compared to the repulsive ogres of radical Islam.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Default Our Christian Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The US is a land of many faiths. And that is a good thing. After all, if you are right and the rest of us are wrong imagine all the room you'll have in heaven But to allow one particular brand of religion to dictate public policy for the good of everyone is a very dangerous road to go down. And that I am very wary of -- evangelical, mormon, wiccan or islam it makes no difference to me.
Primarily, the Christian Faith, Catholics and Protestant. All others represent a very small minority.

This nation was founded by Christians. I'm sure you will claim that isn't true, but our history cannot be denied, and since this is the Thanksgiving Weekend, here is George Washington's First Thanksgiving Proclamation:
Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor – and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”
Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be – That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks – for his kind care and protection of the People of this country previous to their becoming a Nation – for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war –for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed – for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.
And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions – to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually – to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by constantly being a government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed – to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord – To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and Us – and generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.
GO. WASHINGTON.
I think it makes pretty clear the mindset of Early Americans. In view of this Proclamation alone, it's pretty hard to argue that we were not established a Christian Nation, let alone any argument that we established a "Wall of Separation" as it is now interpreted by liberals and atheists.

I should also like to add that to be "Evangelical" threatens no one. Why should it? All Christians should be "evangelical". It is their duty to "spread the "Good News", the salvation of man, by Christ's death and resurrection. That is the "Great Commission" given by Christ (Matthew 28).

That is all it means. It is not something that we force on anyone. You either accept Christ or you don't. You have free will. Nobody is going to kill you if you do not believe, unlike Muslims who believe it is their duty to kill the "infidel" That is what Jihad is all about. They believe that this is their path to Paradise.

Christians, on the other hand, believe that the way to heaven (paradise) is belief. I know you have heard the song, Amazing Grace. Read the words. It always chokes me up. It is the essence of the Gospel of Christ.

Romans 1:16 — 17 reads:

"16 I'm not ashamed of the Gospel [of Christ], because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: First for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel, a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith ... "

Why should this scare anyone? I am in awe of it. It means we do not have to fear death or judgement. As believers, we are "saved".

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 11-29-2009 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Additional comments

Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Comparing evangelicals to the radical Muslims is like comparing Bernie Madoff to Ted Bundy...yeah Madoff has his problems but he is not a psychopathic killer...it is amazing how many people will give Radical Islam a pass by somehow bringing up Christianity....We live in one crazy world where people get upset about a major terrorist getting punched in the mouth by Navy SEALS but the same terrorist killed and mutilated Americans......It is now at the point where I can't even try to understand people who rationalize and apologize for America....I guess in some ways I can understand it because the precedent has been set by our Commander in Chief!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
The US did turn a blind eye to Saddam Hussein's "chemical genocide."
Really? When, and under which Prisident(s)?

Besides, isn't it you people who think we shouldn't involve ourselves around the world and interfering with evil governments and setting people free?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
The US was not attacked by Muslims. A group of religious radicals called al-Qaeda attacked the US. There is a big difference between Islam and al-Qaeda. Furthermore is it your position that Christianity condones the slaughter of innocents who have nothing whatsoever to do with what happened on 911?

Why are you at war with Islam?
Al-Qaeda are Islamic (Muslim). We were attacked by Muslims.

KSM is a Muslim. The perpetrators of the first WTC boming in 1993 were Muslims.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan is a Muslim.

Seems that "Muslim" is a something all these terrorists have in common. I think it's safe to assume that all terrorists are Muslim, even though all Muslims may not be terrorist.

Though it is important to point out that CAIR will not condemn any of these groups or individuals. Why is that?

We have not intentionally targeted "innocents" (you are listening too much to John Murtha, John Kerry, Harry Reid and others — all liars). We have such things as highly precise (smart bombs) weapons, and the drones we use are also very precise. But inevitably, in war, some innocent people do get killed.

However, our enemy regularly kills innocents and have beheaded many (Danniel Pearl beheaded by KSM). I don't hear you condemning them.

It has nothing to do with what Christianity condones or does not. War is war.

I am personally not "at war with Islam".

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 11-29-2009 at 07:00 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Taking the Bible or the Koran literally is very dangerous. That's one thing that fundamentalist Christians have in common with radical Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies