Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:32 PM

340 posts, read 745,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I addressed what I thought were the problems and hinted at solutions in my other posts. I asked you in this post to address the publics complaints as an oil company worker, as an insider, and what do you do? I gave you a great opportunity to explain things from the oil company's perspective and you repeated your line by line dissection, duplicating the same 'childish' complaints, which completely validated my point! We are none the wiser.

None of these arguments are personal and yet your responses suggest you are taking them personally. I never said I had answers and when I asked you for yours, you offered nothing but venom. I'm not willing to 'discuss' this further and I still stand by all of my comments.
Great !!!!... Goodbye.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Prices aren't set by oil companies. They didn't raise prices 27 cents, the global marketplace did. So it would be more accurate to blame the people of Earth who use oil, rather than the oil companies.

As discussed at length before you posted, western oil importing firms in non-oil producing nations (Exxon, Shell, BP, etc) have very little effect on oil prices. 90% of world supply is in the hands of various government-owned companies.

Those companies recorded record profits because oil prices went sky-high, and they were sitting on a modest amount of oil.

"Caring about the average family?" Why would they care? The day that the average family is concerned about the welfare of the oil companies is the day that the oil companies will be concerned for the welfare of the average family. It's a business, not a charity.

Lack of caring and lack of concern for others, seems to be the theme song lately.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
Whoever just gave me the red dot and said " You attack everyone, calm down"

Calm down yourself, and face the facts... You may not like what I say, but I have the right to say it...
Hey, I got one for being "concerned"
wow whats the world coming to if being concerned is bad!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you continue with these subversive posts you may find some government agents ringing your bell
OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO !!!!!!

Not the special agents.... Will they haul me away under some top secret special agent law we have never heard of before ???

Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Prices aren't set by oil companies. They didn't raise prices 27 cents, the global marketplace did. So it would be more accurate to blame the people of Earth who use oil, rather than the oil companies.

As discussed at length before you posted, western oil importing firms in non-oil producing nations (Exxon, Shell, BP, etc) have very little effect on oil prices. 90% of world supply is in the hands of various government-owned companies.

Those companies recorded record profits because oil prices went sky-high, and they were sitting on a modest amount of oil.

"Caring about the average family?" Why would they care? The day that the average family is concerned about the welfare of the oil companies is the day that the oil companies will be concerned for the welfare of the average family. It's a business, not a charity.
GOOD POST.....

That's right.... If we suddenly have a huge glutton of oil, or demand drops,( Like in the 80's) are you going to insist on helping all the oil field workers who are out of work with their problems ??? I doubt it... Are you going to complain about all the companies who benefit from it, and are making more profit because of it ?? Will you demand them to drop their prices ??? Good Luck...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:47 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Sure I will drive him to work, who will pay the gas for me though? Since I would have to drive 42 miles to drop him off drive home and pick him up and drive home. Yep that would be 168 miles a day. Where I am that would be $75.00 every three days. Wanna send me the cash?
Maybe he could pitch in a little bit? Enough to cover the amount he USED to be able to afford? Unless the guy's never owned a vehicle. And maybe another nice neighbor could chip in, too?

These are actual solutions that people are using right now in my neck of the woods...don't see why, in rural communities, they couldn't work everywhere.

And, by the way, gas here is 3.79/gal for reg. right now, so we do have reason to be thinking about this and solving problems on a community level, as you have.

Last edited by Alaskagrl; 05-17-2007 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Adding relevant statement

Old 05-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Maybe he could pitch in a little bit? Enough to cover the amount he USED to be able to afford? Unless the guy's never owned a vehicle. And maybe another nice neighbor could chip in, too?

These are actual solutions that people are using right now in my neck of the woods...don't see why, in rural communities, they couldn't work everywhere.

And, by the way, gas here is 3.79/gal for reg. right now, so we do have reason to be thinking about this and solving problems on a community level, as you have.
I dont mind helping out when I can, but I still have to pay for my own families gas, as do most people. We car pool to the stores and schools and such. Point is we shouldnt have to struggle. Our States could get rid of the gas tax for awhile. That .50 cent a gallon would be a huge help.

Last edited by Nea1; 05-17-2007 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Sure I will drive him to work, who will pay the gas for me though? Since I would have to drive 42 miles to drop him off drive home and pick him up and drive home. Yep that would be 168 miles a day. Where I am that would be $75.00 every three days. Wanna send me the cash?
LOL !!!!!

See the point ??? You are not willing to give up $ 75.00 to help your own neighbor, but you want a company you don't even know, or who doesn't know you, to give up Millions or Billions of their profits ???

You have got to be kidding me !!!!!! That is pretty "unconcerned and uncaring" of you, considering your other posts...

Quote:
Hey, I got one for being "concerned"
wow whats the world coming to if being concerned is bad!!!!!!

Quote:
Lack of caring and lack of concern for others, seems to be the theme song lately.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO !!!!!!

Not the special agents.... Will they haul me away under some top secret special agent law we have never heard of before ???

Executive privilege supercedes law, just ask, they'll tell you so

As far as oil prices go, I won't feel deprived if I don't do in depth research on the petro industry but...................what do these firms offer in return for drilling on public land? What benefits are non-stockholders likely to reap?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
Why "shouldn't we" have to struggle? I don't LIKE the prices, but there are reasons they're that high.

One reason, I do believe (sorry Drill) is that oil companies do employ certain questionable techniques (such as not building new refineries--see Bill O'Reilly's recent piece on this) that do drive prices up at "convenient" times.

Other reasons are market-driven, demand/supply-driven, etc, like any other commodity.

In America, or anywhere else, the argument or opinion of "I shouldn't have to suffer, struggle, with this certain issue, etc" is just plain bogus...energy has been in high demand for decades; all of us WILL struggle, and it isn't just Big Oil that's the villain.

Find ways to get through it...we all struggle less if we help eachother in times of need; that's how it used to be; instead of complaining about how tough it was, co-ops and shared resources groups were formed; be it so informal as a car-pooling group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies