Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
There are more European politicians who are now calling for the same thing......In the Netherlands there are over 400 mosques with these things on them and loudspeakers so the whole neighborhood can hear their prayers...which is ridiculous...if they want to live like they lived in their native country, than go back and don't force others with their so called freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech has spoken and the people don't want it!
BentleBee,

If you could please do me a favor, I would be grateful.

Can you explain if these minarets have speakers in them that actually played the prayers out loud? I tried looking and all I am getting is that these are monuments that are Islamic decorated designs.

I tried asking here before but they just told me to search and this is all that I getting!

If these were just decorative Islamic monuments, then I do not see why these had to banned. I really don't. But if they have loudspeakers in them and play prayers 5 times a day, then yes. Ban it. I don't want to hear anything about any religion in my home. Having a loudspeaker with chanting near my home is not exactly going to make me happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

If these were just decorative Islamic monuments, then I do not see why these had to banned. I really don't. But if they have loudspeakers in them and play prayers 5 times a day, then yes. Ban it. I don't want to hear anything about any religion in my home. Having a loudspeaker with chanting near my home is not exactly going to make me happy.
I believe they broadcast the call to prayer, hence the reasoning for the ban. I agree, I wouldn't want to hear it either. I also don't like hearing church bells broadcast every hour. I wonder if a ban on that would ever happen?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I believe they broadcast the call to prayer, hence the reasoning for the ban. I agree, I wouldn't want to hear it either. I also don't like hearing church bells broadcast every hour. I wonder if a ban on that would ever happen?
Ah, so I see. They did have loudspeakers in them. Then yeah. Ban them. If people want to pray, they can go to the mosque.

Fortunately, we do not have Church Bells here. I too would go nuts hearing it every hour. I doubt it will get banned though.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Ah, so I see. They did have loudspeakers in them. Then yeah. Ban them. If people want to pray, they can go to the mosque.

Fortunately, we do not have Church Bells here. I too would go nuts hearing it every hour. I doubt it will get banned though.
Actually, my understanding is that in non-Muslim nations they do NOT have speakers and are not used in this fashion. Begs the question of why they need them or want them, but.....

Either way, I'm certainly NOT a fan of the PC and applaud Switzerland for this... Keep your country how you want it. It's none of the UN's business unless they start denying human rights to Muslims (Of course then we'd wonder why they choose to make a major stink about this while Sudan is still a human rights disaster, but hey..... It's the UN right? )

Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Actually, my understanding is that in non-Muslim nations they do NOT have speakers and are not used in this fashion. Begs the question of why they need them or want them, but.....

Either way, I'm certainly NOT a fan of the PC and applaud Switzerland for this... Keep your country how you want it. It's none of the UN's business unless they start denying human rights to Muslims (Of course then we'd wonder why they choose to make a major stink about this while Sudan is still a human rights disaster, but hey..... It's the UN right? )
I reckon they want them because they are an intrinsic part of their house of worship. They are symbolic in the way a church spire is- reaching to heaven. Indeed that is what they are- spires.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:23 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I reckon they want them because they are an intrinsic part of their house of worship. They are symbolic in the way a church spire is- reaching to heaven. Indeed that is what they are- spires.
Well the Swiss don't want them. It is a democratic country and the majority said no minarets. It is their country and they get to say what goes and does not go.

Just out of interest, has the UN done anything about discrimination against Christians and women in Saudi Arabia?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:

The courthouse here has a clock with a bell that does the same as church bells...

It's considerably different than a loudspeaker blasting prayers...

Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well the Swiss don't want them. It is a democratic country and the majority said no minarets. It is their country and they get to say what goes and does not go.

Just out of interest, has the UN done anything about discrimination against Christians and women in Saudi Arabia?
Not just Christians but people of any other faith. I read a news article about how a Hindu was brutally murdered by the hands of Muslim men.

VERY sad. No one should be murdered for their faith and I say this as an atheist.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Default Hagia Sophia, one of the world's best known mosques

Since so many either didn't know what they were looking for or didn't look when I told them to look here is a link to a picture of a mosque that was built as a Christian church in the 6th century. One knows that it was Christian since it was built then and it has the typical Roman roof much like most of the Cathedrals built in Europe at that time.

The Hagia Sophia has been wrecked and rebuilt more than once and what is standing now is a left over of a Roman rebuilding. The building stands in Turkey and has been Muslimized. The spires that can be seen at the four corners, by direction, of the building are minarets. You can see the balcony that surrounds each of them. It was on these balconies that the muezzins stood when calling the faithful to prayer. They had a set group of words that merely said it is time to pray. All should know that the Muslims pray 5 times a day and each does his own praying.

No the muezzins did not recite prayers, but just called the faithful to prayer. I think there is a good chance that the voices being high pitched were able to carry very far. Of course, in the Middle Ages and even later, there were no loudspeaker systems so they had to have these minarets located all over the city at mosques.

Great Buildings Image - Hagia Sophia

My link on post 1 has a picture of a lighted minaret in Zurich. I think the article says there are only 4 mosques with minarets now.

Some of the words from the article from Fox are interesting to see what things were like in Switzerland up to the day before the vote.

With tensions running high, the Geneva Mosque was vandalized Thursday by unidentified individuals who threw a pot of pink paint at the building's entrance.

It was the third incident against the mosque this month: earlier, a vehicle with a loudspeaker drove through the area imitating a muezzin's call to prayer, and vandals threw cobble stones at the building, damaging a mosaic.

Business leaders say a minaret ban would be disastrous for the Swiss economy because it could drive away wealthy Muslims who bank in Switzerland, buy the country's luxury goods, and frequent its resorts.

Notice why the government and businessmen didn't want that law passed.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Not just Christians but people of any other faith. I read a news article about how a Hindu was brutally murdered by the hands of Muslim men.

VERY sad. No one should be murdered for their faith and I say this as an atheist.
Last week I wanted to get some changes in my Dish/Net service and the rep I got on the phone was in India. He would have been about 25 and was very interesting to talk to. We discussed religion a bit and he said he hated the way Indian Muslims and his own people went at each other.

The best thing he told me was that they do have the second most populous nation on earth that is divided into 23 states and uses 1600 languages. Can you imagine that? This young man said that besides English and Hindi, his native tongue, he knew three others. One has to have English to get around that country since it is the most common. His girl friend, who he said he just couldn't stand to lose couldn't speak either English or Hindi so couldn't communicate with his mother or grandmother. Aren't you glad you got to go to school in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies