Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,012,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
If you're meeting someone and they're ASKING you about your race, you should look them dead in the eye and say "Human." And you should move on without looking back.
That's good, it would tell me a lot about them, too. Mainly, that this is a touchy, defensive person. And that's "OK"--for someone else.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,259,036 times
My husband is mixed with black, Filipino and white, he is very pale and has straight hair so many people don't realize that he is black. He accepts all sides of his heritage but to me culturally he is mostly black and he has no problem telling people what he is. Never be ashamed of any part of your race. If you are meeting people who have a problem with you being black then they are not even worth your time.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:39 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
While this is true what do you do with forms with predetermined answers where you have to pick a category. While I think more are identifying mixed I have yet to see one.

And before anyone has a cow over these form type questions one instance of why this may be asked is many businesses are given consideration and a ratio break for contract awards with the goverment if they have a certain amount of minorities also loans and especially project grants.
Honestly, who cares about filling out forms in their day to day life?

Nobody ever discusses any other portion of a form other than race, and the only time people discuss the race portion is when they have an agenda, such as on this thread.

Everyone should self-ID in the manner they want, in accordance with their own needs/views.

When people want to go back and forth about what to call Halle Berry, it's not Halle's problem. She deserves to be able to go on with her day to day life without having to justify her racial status to other people.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Honestly, who cares about filling out forms in their day to day life?

Nobody ever discusses any other portion of a form other than race, and the only time people discuss the race portion is when they have an agenda, such as on this thread.

Everyone should self-ID in the manner they want, in accordance with their own needs/views.

When people want to go back and forth about what to call Halle Berry, it's not Halle's problem. She deserves to be able to go on with her day to day life without having to justify her racial status to other people.
I think you may have missed the point and that is this is and these questions are what is out in society some people have to deal with it- not an agenda.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Quad racial??? I like it. Bet he's a fine Son. Merry Christmas.
Why thank-you,You have a nice one too! He is a great boy. And many are shocked when I come to pick him up...I see the whispers.....omg she's white.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
While this is true what do you do with forms with predetermined answers where you have to pick a category. While I think more are identifying mixed I have yet to see one.

And before anyone has a cow over these form type questions one instance of why this may be asked is many businesses are given consideration and a ratio break for contract awards with the goverment if they have a certain amount of minorities also loans and especially project grants.
I understand what you are saying..at my son's daycare they asked if they could just put Korean for the ratio of races at the facility.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
I'm mixed three ways but explaining it is tedious and by the time I'm done most people's eyes glaze over with the "uh-huh" and it's off to a different subject. It is mildly amusing actually as I will tell people (or others will do it for me) that I was born in Saigon, Vietnam. Then the listener will say, "but you look Mexican (or Hispanic)" and I tell them my Dad is Mexican. Then they follow with the "what with your last name?" and I tell them my paternal grandfather was a white guy.

If your eyes have not glazed after reading that then a for you...

Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
I am raising my GD (13) and she self-identifies with being white. If asked, she says mixed race. She said that she either marks "other" or checks both on tests. Then she said that she identifies with the family that she grew up with, so she feels more like she is white and that if she grew up with her black family, she would consider herself black. Until very recently this bothered me, as I thought she was denying half her heritage, but I realize now that it is what it is and I never gave a darn about my Irish heritage until I was well into adulthood.

How great that folks are now "allowed" to self-done identify. Raena- I get the ratio thing with schools and such. And certain programs that rely upon grants need to show diversity, so I mark whatever I think will help their stats.

I've posted this previously, but it's cute- when she was in pre-K, she self-identified as being cappuccino!

Mikeetc- That's funny- two races/ethnicities/etc, folks can follow, but after that, it's "okay, whatever"- LOL!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I'm mixed three ways but explaining it is tedious and by the time I'm done most people's eyes glaze over with the "uh-huh" and it's off to a different subject. It is mildly amusing actually as I will tell people (or others will do it for me) that I was born in Saigon, Vietnam. Then the listener will say, "but you look Mexican (or Hispanic)" and I tell them my Dad is Mexican. Then they follow with the "what with your last name?" and I tell them my paternal grandfather was a white guy.

If your eyes have not glazed after reading that then a for you...
I actually think it was quite interesting.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:24 PM

[quote=HIF;11917159]I am raising my GD (13) and she self-identifies with being white. If asked, she says mixed race. She said that she either marks "other" or checks both on tests. Then she said that she identifies with the family that she grew up with, so she feels more like she is white and that if she grew up with her black family, she would consider herself black. Until very recently this bothered me, as I thought she was denying half her heritage, but I realize now that it is what it is and I never gave a darn about my Irish heritage until I was well into adulthood.

I've posted this previously, but it's cute- when she was in pre-K, she self-identified as being cappuccino!

This is too cute...I stated many times that my son is rice cake with muti flavors. haha... A friend of mine that is half black and white said she was an oreo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies