Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,512,222 times

Advertisements

Just read this story in the local weekly about the City Hall nativity. It reminds me of an episode of South Park.

Denver News - A creche course in why the Nativity gets to stay on the steps of Denver's City Hall - page 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,782 times
According to the article, once you get past the attitude, there is a proper nativity scene at City Hall plus other Santa/Rudolph/Christmas tree/garlands and lights that are not part of the nativity. There is no indication that Santa or elves are IN the nativity or even close to it. The photo in the article is unrelated to Denver city hall.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
It's CHRISTmas !!!! No Christ, no Christmas. I'll keep Christmas and if you don't want to see my scene of Christ's birth, which IS part of the belief of the Found Fathers of this Nation, tough. There is no where in the Constitution of seperation of Church and State, but rather that the State must recognize there is A God and that's why we are here. This WAS based on the Founding Father's Christian beliefs. So with that in mind, I have the right to display it and you have the right not to look at it by looking somewhere else. And cities that do not display scenes in recognition of Christ birth are actuly in VIOLATION of the Constitution despite what off the wall courts might say.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Nobody really cares about stupid decorations. It's just something people choose to fight about because people like to fight.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
And cities that do not display scenes in recognition of Christ birth are actuly in VIOLATION of the Constitution despite what off the wall courts might say.
Please explain further. How are cities that do not display scenes in recognition of Christ's birth violating the Constitution?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
"As I turn and look into the sun, the rays burn my eyes."

Happy happy happy, everybody's happy...

"Is anyone offended by mistletoe? ....OK, lose the mistletoe."

"Are there any more suggestions? Yes, Mr. Garrison...?"

"No, Mr. Garrison, we cannot get rid of all the Mexicans."

Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
It's CHRISTmas !!!! No Christ, no Christmas. I'll keep Christmas and if you don't want to see my scene of Christ's birth, which IS part of the belief of the Found Fathers of this Nation, tough. There is no where in the Constitution of seperation of Church and State, but rather that the State must recognize there is A God and that's why we are here. This WAS based on the Founding Father's Christian beliefs. So with that in mind, I have the right to display it and you have the right not to look at it by looking somewhere else. And cities that do not display scenes in recognition of Christ birth are actuly in VIOLATION of the Constitution despite what off the wall courts might say.
Want a nativity scene, go to your church, go to your home.
No one cares what you do in your church or home.

Not one tax penny should be spent on anything religious.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,359,415 times
Quote:
Wrong, wrong and dead wrong. But hey, don't let the facts get in your way.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Now switching from the South Park references to set this straight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...
Moreover...

The Founding Fathers had quite varied religious beliefs, and many of them were Deists which is to say they believed in God but not necessarily in the divinity of Jesus. Thomas Jefferson definitely did not believe in Jesus' divinity and was therefore not a Christian in the manner that most Christians would reckon. Same for Benjamin Franklin. To say that these people were all united under one faith is revisionist history at its best and an outright lie at its worst.

This fallacy bothers me than a nativity scene or anything like that. A nativity display isn't going to be used as a battering ram to actually force religion upon anyone. Ultimately it doesn't matter. It's just a symbol. Using this "Founding Fathers were Christians therefore we should have Christianity in government" argument to actually further an agenda to push laws based on religious beliefs that not everyone in this country holds is another story entirely.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Now switching from the South Park references to set this straight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...
There it is, the first sentence in the First Amendment. To say it's not in the Constitution is like saying that nowhere in the Ten Commandments is an order from God to not worship any other gods before him.

Moreover...

The Founding Fathers had quite varied religious beliefs, and many of them were Deists which is to say they believed in God but not necessarily in the divinity of Jesus. Thomas Jefferson definitely did not believe in Jesus' divinity and was therefore not a Christian in the manner that most Christians would reckon. Same for Benjamin Franklin. To say that these people were all united under one faith is revisionist history at its best and an outright lie at its worst.

This fallacy bothers me than a nativity scene or anything like that. A nativity display isn't going to be used as a battering ram to actually force religion upon anyone. Ultimately it doesn't matter. It's just a symbol. Using this "Founding Fathers were Christians therefore we should have Christianity in government" argument to actually further an agenda to push laws based on religious beliefs that not everyone in this country holds is another story entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies