Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:51 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,650 times

Advertisements

It is very unfortunate that the huge, growing middle class and wealthy in China do not adopt their own female babies.

While I am happy that a little girl has a better life here, I wonder if the white adoptive parents are trying to do the "diversity" thing?

Because if it was just about charity, there are so many children they could be helping right in this country.

I am not saying it's bad; I applaud they have such love in their hearts, but do you wonder about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Domestic adoption can be very complicated and uncertain, especially if you don't want white adoptive parents to do the "diversity" thing. Several years ago, adoptions from China involved a lot of bureaucracy, but was a more defined process. It has since become a longer process and I would not be surprised if adoptions from China are on the decrease because of it.

Questioning the motives of adoptive parents of foreign children suggests that you may not really understand why parents adopt and the sacrifices they make to do it. It's not at all about bagging a "diversity' trophy.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
It is very unfortunate that the huge, growing middle class and wealthy in China do not adopt their own female babies.

While I am happy that a little girl has a better life here, I wonder if the white adoptive parents are trying to do the "diversity" thing?

Because if it was just about charity, there are so many children they could be helping right in this country.

I am not saying it's bad; I applaud they have such love in their hearts, but do you wonder about this?
i don't think so, I think it has more to do with availbility. We have 2 adopted children and a foster daughter as well as a biological daughter. Luckily for us, our kids were born before women started having abortions on demand or single moms choosing to keep their babies. Now, to adopt in our country it takes years so families are going where there are more babies available.

Nita

Old 12-12-2009, 08:44 AM

110 posts, read 261,592 times
The reality is that most prospective adoptive parents only want to adopt infants or babies and they only want to adopt healthy children. The amount of people wanting to adopt healthy infants vastly outweighs the number of healthy infants available for adoption. With demand outweighing supply, prospective adoptive parents are willing to search the globe for an available healthy baby.

There are many children who age out of foster care every year without families. They weren't adopted because they were too old and/or had severe health problems. It is very sad because many of the children most in need will never have parents.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:48 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post

Its just another sad indicator of racist white people. /satire

Old 12-12-2009, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
The reality is that most prospective adoptive parents only want to adopt infants or babies and they only want to adopt healthy children. The amount of people wanting to adopt healthy infants vastly outweighs the number of healthy infants available for adoption. With demand outweighing supply, prospective adoptive parents are willing to search the globe for an available healthy baby.

There are many children who age out of foster care every year without families. They weren't adopted because they were too old and/or had severe health problems. It is very sad because many of the children most in need will never have parents.
It has become very difficult to adopt children in the US, even toddlers. I know people who have done international adoptions of toddlers with health problems. They wouldn't do so if it were easier to adopt a US child.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Why do white people like to adopt Chinese babies?

Not being expert on this subject, I would just assume that they are trying to adopt any unwanted baby that they can find. AND...... China practices baby control, not the same thing as birth control.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Probably for a variety of reasons... don't want to sound "racist" but I think that there is very limited numbers of white babies available for adoption... considering that parents rather have "babies" than older children, there isn't much of a selection for non-black babies... the alternatives would be to go across the ocean to select other racial babies... that's just what I think is probably going on...

Old 12-12-2009, 09:11 AM

689 posts, read 742,766 times
I know nothing about adoption, but i'll common sense it. There are lots of them. And....I think it may be because you can pretty much guarantee that a Chinese baby didn't have parents who were hooked on crack or Meth or something while the child was in the whom??

Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 AM

946 posts, read 2,603,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Probably for a variety of reasons... don't want to sound "racist" but I think that there is very limited numbers of white babies available for adoption... considering that parents rather have "babies" than older children, there isn't much of a selection for non-black babies... the alternatives would be to go across the ocean to select other racial babies... that's just what I think is probably going on...
My brother and his wife adopted a Chinese baby, and they live in Europe. The adoption process, while complicated, was still much easier than trying to adopt a baby in the country they live in--I think the wait list is 5 years plus or something, rather than the 1-2 years it took them.

I don't think race matters--it's the paperwork and time that drives people to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies